Mary+Immaculate<3 Posted June 2, 2014 Posted June 2, 2014 To all the people who go to the TLM, I'm just curious, what draws you there? One reason or a combination? I am happy to hear what you think. What is more attractive there than what is at a "regular" (for lack of a better adjective) NO Mass?
Canonistwannabe Posted June 2, 2014 Posted June 2, 2014 I'm supposed to go upstate next weekend to go to a Tlm, and I can't wait. I've watched online, but I'm sure it's not the same. What I like about the Tlm is it's said in the language it was meant to be said in. I also love to think that this is the mass that many of the Saints fell in love with.
Basilisa Marie Posted June 2, 2014 Posted June 2, 2014 It might sound silly, but I have to be in the right mood for it. It's easier for me to follow along with a regular NO mass, especially if I'm tired. But the EF really highlights the awe inspiring divinity of God.
HisChildForever Posted June 2, 2014 Posted June 2, 2014 I feel like there's more--contemplation at the Latin Mass. I mean that's what it stirs up in me. Whereas the Ordinary Form stirs up simplicity, a different kind of beauty.
ToJesusMyHeart Posted June 2, 2014 Posted June 2, 2014 The beauty. The churches which offer the TLM tend to be more aesthetically pleasing, in my opinion. Also the liturgy itself reveals God more to me because of its mysterious beauty than the NO does. Most NO churches in my area add and subtract whatever they please from the liturgy, and that's not my cup of tea. NO parishes near me also tend to look very Baptist. I went to a NO mass today and if it wasnt for the crucifix, the Eucharist, and the one time Mary was mentioned, I would have sworn I was in a Baptist service. :(
Credo in Deum Posted June 2, 2014 Posted June 2, 2014 I love how everything points towards Calvary. I love how the the Latin, Greek and Hebrew, remind me of the sign placed above our Lord's Cross. How the rubrics which do not allow the priest to personalize the Mass remind me of Christ in the Garden when He taught us that it's all about God's will not ours. I love the reverence show towards the Blessed Sacrament, and how the love of mystery is shown by the solemn celebration. I would say more but there isn't enough time or characters in all of the forums in the world to express how much the Tridentine Mass means to me. I'm thankful that God has allowed me the great gift of having it for almost my entire life.
chrysostom Posted June 2, 2014 Posted June 2, 2014 (edited) I like the expectant silence. Edited June 2, 2014 by chrysostom
maximillion Posted June 2, 2014 Posted June 2, 2014 Familiarity. I grew up with it and we continued to have it while I was in the convent. It was very disorientating when I first attended Mass afterwards, but now I like both, and don't seek out any particular form.
mortify ii Posted June 2, 2014 Posted June 2, 2014 How can one not be drawn to it? It is our spiritual patrimony as Roman Catholics and the mass that created some of our greatest Saints
CrossCuT Posted June 2, 2014 Posted June 2, 2014 I didnt grow up with the EF however I did grow up going to an all Latin OF. Its not exactly the same, but its one step closer I guess. My church however has a very deep musical tradition and their all latin OF mass was always accompanied by a full orchestra and choir where they would perform various mass pieces by some of the cool beans old timey composer dudes. Which made it a richer experience. Sometimes they did that...and sometimes they just had chant. I find it very pretty! However my fiance who didnt grow up Catholic nor is he used to latin does NOT like the masses. He feels he participates less because he doesn't understand what they are saying. Its all personal preference IMO. I dont find one version inherently better than the other, its all on an individual basis. If one form heightens your spiritual senses more, then it is better for you.
Perigrina Posted June 2, 2014 Posted June 2, 2014 I like the theological emphasis on sacrifice and transubstantiation. I like the clear distinction between priest and laity. I like the sense that the priest is leading us in prayer and worship rather than talking to us. I like the sense of connection to my Catholic roots, the sense of being beyond time. I like the feeling of sacredness, that I am in a place set apart for worship, different from my everyday life. The language is special. The gestures are special. I like the silence. I like the music. The formality. The attention to detail. I like the comfort of being with other people who share my assumptions about what is appropriate behaviour and clothing for church.
Proletarian Posted June 2, 2014 Posted June 2, 2014 I'm supposed to go upstate next weekend to go to a Traditional Latin Mass, and I can't wait. I've watched online, but I'm sure it's not the same. What I like about the Traditional Latin Mass is it's said in the language it was meant to be said in. I also love to think that this is the mass that many of the Saints fell in love with. I was drawn to it out of curiosity. It was something old, yet something new. The few times I've gone, I enjoyed the reverence very much, but felt more like an observer than a participant. This is because of the language. I don't understand why Latin > English. I do understand why reverence > irreverence, but English isn't inherently irreverent. I've been to Byzantine liturgies done in English, which have as much tradition and reverence within them as the TLM. I enjoy some Latin spread throughout the liturgy (Confetior, Angus Dei, etc.) because it sort of ties us to our Catholic ancestors. But the whole thing in Latin? Does anyone here even know more than like 15 words in Latin?
Perigrina Posted June 2, 2014 Posted June 2, 2014 I've been to Byzantine liturgies done in English, which have as much tradition and reverence within them as the Traditional Latin Mass. I enjoy some Latin spread throughout the liturgy (Confetior, Angus Dei, etc.) because it sort of ties us to our Catholic ancestors. But the whole thing in Latin? Does anyone here even know more than like 15 words in Latin? My Latin is pretty good, but I realize that it is an obstacle for a lot of people.
Nihil Obstat Posted June 2, 2014 Posted June 2, 2014 (edited) I have no Latin whatsoever, besides the easy words and the ones that I have picked up from the Mass itself. Honestly, I find the Latin to aid my participation, to the point that I find English at the Novus Ordo to be a little jarring. Personally. I appreciated the use of English in the Anglican Ordinariate Mass to be pretty good. Nice and elevated. The plainchant in English did not seem forced either. I think having the Canon and Propers in Latin is preferable in terms of Roman patrimony though. Edited June 2, 2014 by Nihil Obstat
PhuturePriest Posted June 2, 2014 Posted June 2, 2014 To all the people who go to the Traditional Latin Mass, I'm just curious, what draws you there? One reason or a combination? I am happy to hear what you think. What is more attractive there than what is at a "regular" (for lack of a better adjective) NO Mass? "Novus Ordo" is actually not the proper term for the "regular" Mass. The proper term is "Ordinary Form", or "OF". The reason why this is a big deal is the term "Novus Ordo" is a mock term by radical traditionalists that means "New Order". It implies that it's an entirely new Mass. Your liturgy lesson for the day.
Credo in Deum Posted June 2, 2014 Posted June 2, 2014 (edited) I know zero Latin which is why I go to the Tridentine Mass. I'm forced to pay attention. Edited June 2, 2014 by Credo in Deum
Nihil Obstat Posted June 2, 2014 Posted June 2, 2014 "Novus Ordo" is actually not the proper term for the "regular" Mass. The proper term is "Ordinary Form", or "OF". The reason why this is a big deal is the term "Novus Ordo" is a mock term by radical traditionalists that means "New Order". It implies that it's an entirely new Mass. Your liturgy lesson for the day. Novus Ordo is acceptable terminology. Ordinary Form is essentially a legal designation.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now