An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religious Life And Medication

Blue.Rose

Has anyone ever had an issue with being accepted into a community due to needing a medication?
In my case I have prescription cream for a skin issue but I'm hoping this issue resolves by the time I can apply.
Can minor health problems be a reason for rejection?

Hopefully some of the religious that hang out on this phorum will also answer.

But from my experience it really depends on the community.

The two communities I entered were acomodating.  I was expected to carry health insurance during postulancy so I was able to use my insurance to help cover some of the prescription expenses.  I have allergies so I have to take something for at least from spring to fall, and depending on the area all year (I now have a kitty cat, and well, Zyrtec to the rescue!)

The 1st community actually had someone come on a regular basis to administer allergy shots to those sisters who needed them.  They did try their best to take care of their sister's medical needs.

The 2nd community -- they weren't as accomodating, but when I needed medications I was able to get them.  It was also much cheaper being that I was out of the US.

Some communities (from my limited understanding) may not be as accomodating due to the cost/lifestyle.  But you only find out when you talk to them and ask.  I mean -- I wouldn't flat out say "here I have this condition -- can I enter?" but I would enter this dialog as soon as I think a community is a potential place for me to enter.  I wouldn't bring it up initially while researching communities, only when it looks like its a place to enter.

Just my 2 cents :).  Hope this helps.

maximillion

It does seem to be different from community to community. Health insurance can be an issue in some places in the world for prescription meds.

TBH I would not have thought is was a reason to exclude you, though some communities who live a radical style of poverty expect their candidates to have no medical needs.

Catherine Therese

This is actually a real issue to consider very carefully. 

I was accepted into a community with some known medical issues that worsened unexpectedly over time. I required surgery and ongoing medication (some of the medication was far more complex than simply popping some pills). My community were very accommodating and very reasonable, but required obviously (due to our poverty) that I was open with my superior in communicating about what I needed and how often I needed it. They were respectful and compassionate and supportive and truly went above and beyond to provide the support needed for me to manage my condition and really live the life well. 

The difficulties were within ME. 

What was most difficult for me, (and this might sound strange and almost a non-event), was that I was so used to managing health conditions independently and autonomously. Managing a serious, chronic health condition within the framework of poverty and obedience makes some real demands in virtue - humility, patience, surrender, trust and gratitude.

Your health considerations truly need not be a deal-breaker, however.

In my experience, over a period of time, I adjusted and the arrangements and eventually embraced them. The health situation was NOT the reason I left.

I'd recommend frank discussion with an appropriate member of the community before you enter, and give the matter careful thought and prayer. After all, if the worst that happens is that the management of your health within the framework of poverty and obedience demands growth in humility, patience, surrender, trust and gratitude... well, that can't be a bad thing, right?

From what I've seen and heard, I don't think a prescription skin cream is going to be an obstacle in most communities. Do be open about it though, if you're at serious talk stage.

And there are a TON of people on here who can give you frank, no-holds-barred, TMI real life experience vis a vis religious life and medication!

maximillion

I think the OP was asking if minor health probs are a reason for rejection in the application process, at least that is what I understood.

Complex needs, surgery, ongoing and possibly expensive treatment is slightly different.

Catherine Therese

You're right, I'm sorry. It took me no time at all to go from page 1 to page 100 there ;-) 

Hoping that the community are open-minded about your medication for your skin, Blue-Rose.
I'm also hoping, though, that those with more complex conditions are also encouraged. Still worth pursuing in many cases. 

Edited by Catherine Therese

maximillion

Couldn't agree with you more CT........

It seems like disabled people are everywhere in society except in the RL.

I KNOW there are issues of insurance etc but everyone else seems to cope with that, why can't religious communities.

I think most communities realize that health conditions can change quickly and radically (and unexpectedly).  Thus, someone who enters in "perfect" health may develop a condition while in formation or even after vows. So there is only so much planning a community can do.  If you have a serious chronic condition that would interfere with the apostolate, that obviously would be a cause for a community not to accept you.  There is a difference between maintaining responsibility for someone in perpetual vows, and taking someone in who is not capable of ministry from the get-go.

A dear friend of mine was accepted to Maryknoll right out of high school and entered into the novitiate there. While a novice, she developed some significant health concerns and was asked to leave,  because it was unlikely she would be able to be sent to the missions with that condition. [This was BEFORE even temporary vows.] After recovering, she entered another congregation, where she still is a member.  After several years, she developed even more serious health issues (unrelated to the earlier ones), which made it impossible for her to continue teaching (by that time, she had a Phd and taught at their college). Of course, they took full responsibility for her health, as she was in final vows....

I doubt any congregation has a hard and fast rule about ALL health issues. A teaching community might well accept someone who had mobility issues (uses a walker or even a wheelchair), but might be reluctant to accept someone who is blind or deaf.  A nursing community might have other expectations. Some contemplatives might be more or less flexible. The important thing is to be honest. 

In the autobiography by Mother Catherine Thomas, "My Beloved," she had tuberculosis before she entered Carmel. The monastery asked her to wait till it was cured before she entered, which she did, and she obviously lived a long and happy life in Carmel after that.  And, of course, we are all familiar with the various health issues--including some very early in her religious life--of Mother Angelica!  She is now in her 90s.  

TheresaThoma

Some communities will accept you some will not. It really varies by the community and by the medication. I found the best thing is to be open early on. Some communities have a policy that you can't be on medication and so it is good to find that out early on. Otherwise you might be setting yourself up to start seriously discerning with a community only to find out there is no way you could enter there.

tinytherese

And, of course, we are all familiar with the various health issues--including some very early in her religious life--of Mother Angelica! She is now in her 90s.

And St. Teresa of Avila.

Catherine Therese

I KNOW there are issues of insurance etc but everyone else seems to cope with that, why can't religious communities.

Mine did :) 

May the Lord bless them for their compassion and generosity!!