chrysostom Posted June 8, 2014 Posted June 8, 2014 I've been told it's meaning is essentially "ordinal", as in, having to do with counting. So why didn't we just say "ordinal" time then? Just curious. :D
Nihil Obstat Posted June 9, 2014 Posted June 9, 2014 What is this ordinary time you are talking about? :|
Dr_Asik Posted June 9, 2014 Posted June 9, 2014 That's a good question: I didn't know that was the root. Wikipedia agrees: "Ordinary" comes from the same root as our word "ordinal", and in this sense means "the counted weeks". In the Roman Catholic Church and in some Protestant traditions, these are the common weeks which do not belong to a proper season. In Latin, these seasons are called the weeks per annum, or "through the year". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liturgical_season#Ordinary_Time_or_Time_after_Epiphany
chrysostom Posted June 9, 2014 Author Posted June 9, 2014 I googled it. It seems the Latin is "tempus per annum". I know it's part of the 1970 calendar reforms, but that English translation has GOT to be archaic somehow or else the modern translator just...goofed? I know of few other words that (a) must be explained or else misunderstanding will definitely happen and (b) already have better alternatives such as "ordinal". :P
BarbTherese Posted June 11, 2014 Posted June 11, 2014 I understand Ordinary Time as being outside of the formal Proper Seasons, such as Easter, Lent, Advent etc. Ordinary Time begins on the Monday after Pentecost Sunday and continues to the First Sunday of Advent. Ordinary Time and the Proper Seasons are the liturgical seasons of The Church, each with a special meaning and colour as does Ordinary Time. Catholic Culture "What is Ordinary Time" https://www.catholicculture.org/culture/liturgicalyear/overviews/seasons/ordinary_time/ordinary1.cfm An in depth look at the liturgical seasons of The Church https://www.catholicculture.org/commentary/articles.cfm?id=33
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now