PhuturePriest Posted June 20, 2014 Posted June 20, 2014 I saw the article a while ago, dunno why. Dont really care. Marijuana has not been proven to be harmful either vs Alcohol that has been the cause of tons of deaths and violence yet people never mention it. People are obsessed with marijuana based on an old misconception that its bad for you which has completely colored how it is perceived in society. I would suggest you go do some personal research into the matter on a scientific search engine like PubMed and read more articles on marijuana instead of making a decision based on this one alone. And like I said, this article still has no substantial conclusion; its merely making some observations that have no proof in any correlation to marijuana use. It's worth noting the Church says using pot for "recreational use" is a sin. I'm not using that as a reason to make it illegal, but you're making pot out to be as harmless as water.
CrossCuT Posted June 20, 2014 Posted June 20, 2014 It's worth noting the Church says using pot for "recreational use" is a sin. I'm not using that as a reason to make it illegal, but you're making pot out to be as harmless as water. Water can kill you
Perigrina Posted June 20, 2014 Author Posted June 20, 2014 I found an interesting article on the origins of anti-marijuana laws: http://www.alternet.org/story/77339/debunking_the_hemp_conspiracy_theory I have come across the Hearst conspiracy theory many times. I found it interesting to see that theory debunked and an alternate theory proposed.
Perigrina Posted June 20, 2014 Author Posted June 20, 2014 Here is a follow-up article from the same source: http://mic.com/articles/87875/here-s-the-real-story-behind-that-marijuana-changes-your-brain-study There's way more research that needs to be done and that's Gilman's largest takeaway for others. Since the study came out, Gilman has received a range of feedback. Some people criticize the small sample size — she states that the next step is to conduct the study with a larger group — or the funding source, the National Institute on Drug Abuse, among others (which got a laugh out of Gilman: "Your data is your data"). "Since this paper has come out, some people think I'm a crazy conservative against legalization," she says. "I don't think anyone should go to jail for using marijuana — people can do what they want — I just want them to know what's happening to the brain." The reality, for even pro-legalization people like myself, is that there's a dearth of research on the effects of marijuana — a psychoactive substance that many states are considering legalizing. It'd be illogical to think that a psychoactive substance that gets you high doesn't affect the brain. By definition, it does and we should be honest about that. "It took us 40 years to convince people that smoking cigarettes was bad for them and by then, people had all these negative effects. I don't want it to take 40 years to figure out the effects of marijuana," Gilman said.
CrossCuT Posted June 20, 2014 Posted June 20, 2014 Here is a follow-up article from the same source: http://mic.com/articles/87875/here-s-the-real-story-behind-that-marijuana-changes-your-brain-study There's way more research that needs to be done and that's Gilman's largest takeaway for others. Since the study came out, Gilman has received a range of feedback. Some people criticize the small sample size — she states that the next step is to conduct the study with a larger group — or the funding source, the National Institute on Drug Abuse, among others (which got a laugh out of Gilman: "Your data is your data"). "Since this paper has come out, some people think I'm a crazy conservative against legalization," she says. "I don't think anyone should go to jail for using marijuana — people can do what they want — I just want them to know what's happening to the brain." The reality, for even pro-legalization people like myself, is that there's a dearth of research on the effects of marijuana — a psychoactive substance that many states are considering legalizing. It'd be illogical to think that a psychoactive substance that gets you high doesn't affect the brain. By definition, it does and we should be honest about that. "It took us 40 years to convince people that smoking cigarettes was bad for them and by then, people had all these negative effects. I don't want it to take 40 years to figure out the effects of marijuana," Gilman said. Thats all well and good and I am on board with her. Im interested too! But its worth noting that there have been no deaths associated with marijuana use. And people have been using it for a long time.
Perigrina Posted June 20, 2014 Author Posted June 20, 2014 Thats all well and good and I am on board with her. Im interested too! But its worth noting that there have been no deaths associated with marijuana use. And people have been using it for a long time. Just because something isn't fatal doesn't make it harmless. I would hate to see anyone that I cared about turn into a pot-head.
CrossCuT Posted June 20, 2014 Posted June 20, 2014 (edited) Just because something isn't fatal doesn't make it harmless. I would hate to see anyone that I cared about turn into a pot-head. lol so what is your opinion then? Youre open minded? Doesnt seem like you have any interest in alternative studies about all them pot heads yo. I used to be like that. Thought it was evil evil evil sin infested green stuff. Everyone who smoked it was a stupid loser hole. But then I read things. Edited June 20, 2014 by CrossCuT
CrossCuT Posted June 20, 2014 Posted June 20, 2014 (edited) I found an interesting article on the origins of anti-marijuana laws: http://www.alternet.org/story/77339/debunking_the_hemp_conspiracy_theory This is another interesting thought though. For instance, the difference in penalties for crack cocaine vs powder cocaine. There is a huge racial element to it that people generally dont like to touch because we are a prim and proper society where no racism exists anymore, right? Not really. The same thing happened with opium as well as marijuana. Criminalizing it because it was an easy way to target minorities. The laws surrounding the drugs targeted these groups Opium - Chinese Marijuana - Mexican crack cocaine - African Americans Edited June 20, 2014 by CrossCuT
Perigrina Posted June 20, 2014 Author Posted June 20, 2014 lol so what is your opinion then? Youre open minded? Doesnt seem like you have any interest in alternative studies about all them pot heads yo. I used to be like that. Thought it was evil evil evil sin infested green stuff. Everyone who smoked it was a stupid loser hole. But then I read things. I think that it is immoral to use it, other than for medicinal purposes. I have not reached a conclusion about whether it should be legal. At this point, I do not see grounds to claim that it is worse than alcohol or tobacco, which are legal. I think there should be more research. I used to be strongly in favour of legalization until I became acquainted with people who had their lives ruined by using it.
Perigrina Posted June 20, 2014 Author Posted June 20, 2014 This is another interesting thought though. For instance, the difference in penalties for crack cocaine vs powder cocaine. There is a huge racial element to it that people generally dont like to touch because we are a prim and proper society where no racism exists anymore, right? Not really. The same thing happened with opium as well as marijuana. Criminalizing it because it was an easy way to target minorities. The laws surrounding the drugs targeted these groups Opium - Chinese Marijuana - Mexican crack cocaine - African Americans I had not come across this idea before, but the article made a compelling case that there is a connection between drug laws and racism.
HisChildForever Posted June 20, 2014 Posted June 20, 2014 I have an excellent article that provides a sufficient amount of information on the dangers of marijuana use and how the dangers easily outweigh the benefits. However it's saved on my work computer. If I remember Monday I'll E-mail it to myself and post it here.
HisChildForever Posted June 20, 2014 Posted June 20, 2014 This is another interesting thought though. For instance, the difference in penalties for crack cocaine vs powder cocaine. There is a huge racial element to it that people generally dont like to touch because we are a prim and proper society where no racism exists anymore, right? Not really. The same thing happened with opium as well as marijuana. Criminalizing it because it was an easy way to target minorities. The laws surrounding the drugs targeted these groups Opium - Chinese Marijuana - Mexican crack cocaine - African Americans Interesting. The majority of the drug addicts I work with are white.
Perigrina Posted June 20, 2014 Author Posted June 20, 2014 (edited) I have an excellent article that provides a sufficient amount of information on the dangers of marijuana use and how the dangers easily outweigh the benefits. However it's saved on my work computer. If I remember Monday I'll E-mail it to myself and post it here. Thanks. I will appreciate that. Even if the science ends up conclusively on the side of marijuana being more harmful than beneficial, there is still the question of how far the law should go in protecting people from themselves. Edited June 20, 2014 by Perigrina
Perigrina Posted June 20, 2014 Author Posted June 20, 2014 Interesting. The majority of the drug addicts I work with are white. Maybe that just means that the addicts who get help are white.
HisChildForever Posted June 20, 2014 Posted June 20, 2014 Maybe that just means that the addicts who get help are white. I work in a prison so it's not exactly voluntary on their part ;)
Perigrina Posted June 20, 2014 Author Posted June 20, 2014 I work in a prison so it's not exactly voluntary on their part ;) Yes, that does suggest another explanation. :)
truthfinder Posted June 20, 2014 Posted June 20, 2014 The pope discussed this today: http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2014/06/for-record-pope-condemns-in-clear-terms.html ( I know it's from Rorate, but at least they give a full quote which isn't guaranteed from other places.) Very strong denouncement of drugs.
Lilllabettt Posted June 20, 2014 Posted June 20, 2014 once upon a time I was recruited for a job with the feds. Me and like 15 other graduating seniors were in the room. Most local some flown into DC. Guy comes in and says if any of us have "ingested" (whatever that means) marijuana in the last 3 years, they can't hire you. And don't bother lying cuz the polygraph will getcha. Immediately like half the people get up and leave. that's half my competition *poof* gone. Just cuz they didn't suck it up and obey the law. weren't serious enough about life. strikes me as a good test. But even if pot got legalized everywhere ... while people are getting high the clear-headed people will still be out stealing their jobs/girlfriends. So enjoy your joint, you lonely unemployed party animals.
CatherineM Posted June 20, 2014 Posted June 20, 2014 Smoking 50 joints or more before the age of 18, increases a person's chance of getting schizophrenia by 30%.
Perigrina Posted June 20, 2014 Author Posted June 20, 2014 The pope discussed this today: http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2014/06/for-record-pope-condemns-in-clear-terms.html ( I know it's from Rorate, but at least they give a full quote which isn't guaranteed from other places.) Very strong denouncement of drugs. It is not clear to me whether Pope Francis is including alcohol in this denouncement. I am also puzzled by Rorate's accompanying commentary', in particular the quote from Leo XIII. I do not see how it supports their position. These sentences seem to go against their position: Now, there are other enactments of the civil authority, which do not follow directly, but somewhat remotely, from the natural law, and decide many points which the law of nature treats only in a general and indefinite way. For instance, though nature commands all to contribute to the public peace and prosperity, whatever belongs to the manner, and circumstances, and conditions under which such service is to be rendered must be determined by the wisdom of men and not by nature herself.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now