An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religious Life And The Mentally Ill

MonjaFutura

MonjaFutura

Is there any hope at all that someone with managed bipolar/possible schizophrenia who has been reasonably stabilized could still be called to religious life?

OnlySunshine

Is there any hope at all that someone with managed bipolar/possible schizophrenia who has been reasonably stabilized could still be called to religious life?

There are varying degrees of acceptance by religious communities for those who have mental disorders but the common consensus is that a vocation to religious life is not a good fit because it brings out problems or they don't have enough health insurance to provide continuing care.  I've struggled with depression and anxiety for almost 15 years and I've been discerning a religious vocation for over 7.  So many of the orders I've contacted said I should either look elsewhere or discern a different vocation which, although I've tried, religious life keeps popping up when I least expect it.  So, my advice is to not give up but don't get your hopes up either.  If you truly feel called, you need to look, but be aware that many orders will say no.  It's not because they don't like you or that they are stigmatized.  It's because they truly care about your well-being and don't want to see you slide back into a relapse.

I do know of some religious orders that can be a starting point for you that have admitted people with psychiatric needs (I've discerned with some of them myself):

Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus (Northern Province)

Religious Sisters of Mercy of Alma, MI

Benedictine Sisters of St. Leo, FL

Daughters of St. Paul (not 100% certain they would accept new candidates with mental illnesses but they have a Sister who has depression and has written a book about it)

I haven't contacted ALL the religious communities that are out there so you'll never know until you ask.  I can say with some certainty, however, that the more austere the order is, the more likely they are to say no.  This is because they have very limited resources.  I hope this helps!  Let me know if I can help you with anything else.  :)

Yes. If you want details or more specific information, please PM me. God made all of us and does not call us to something that is impossible. I will pray for you.

In the words of the Poor Clare sisters in Wales, "God is never going to ask you to do something that is really impossible for you. However, God has called people to sainthood in religious life who were crippled, blind, deaf, debtors, diabetics, divorcees, depressives, mothers - and careerists like St Mary Magdalen. So the answer to this is not an easy one. Be brave!"

Sometimes I think it takes as much bravery on the part of the religious community as it does on the part of the enquirer, because they are human too and may have their own preconceptions about mental illness to get past. But I think there is growing understanding now that some people with schizophrenia have vocations to religious life, and others don't - just like everybody else.

OnlySunshine

In the words of the Poor Clare sisters in Wales, "God is never going to ask you to do something that is really impossible for you. However, God has called people to sainthood in religious life who were crippled, blind, deaf, debtors, diabetics, divorcees, depressives, mothers - and careerists like St Mary Magdalen. So the answer to this is not an easy one. Be brave!"

Sometimes I think it takes as much bravery on the part of the religious community as it does on the part of the enquirer, because they are human too and may have their own preconceptions about mental illness to get past. But I think there is growing understanding now that some people with schizophrenia have vocations to religious life, and others don't - just like everybody else.

Good advice, especially since more and more religious orders - such as the Religious Sisters of Mercy and the Franciscan Sisters of the Eucharist - have psychiatrists and/or psychologists for Sisters.  Thus, they are more equipped to handle those with psychiatric needs.  I've also found that many orders who have healthcare as their apostolate are more willing to allow an inquirer to try if they have well-managed disorders because they understand how medication works.  :)

No it's not a complete barrier, but it depends on the country you are in and the order. It also depends on the specific manifestation of those illnesses. Some poeple have a diagnosis but haven't had any problems for many years, be it on or off meds. The number, nature and intensity of any relapses/psychosis breaks and the medication you're on are important. So I wouldn't necessarily give up hoping and seeking. Not all orders will understand the nature of these illnesses -If they have a Counselling Psychologist or Psychiatrist that usually does assessments for them then they maybe willing for you to be evaulated before making a decision. You could always submit to them a professional opinion also during the discernment process  :like:

AccountDeleted

You know, Monja,I don't want to be discouraging here, but the first thing I would suggest is to get your situation worked out first before even thinking about religious life. You say you have managed bipolar (which sounds good) then a slash and  'possible' schizophrenia. Why is the diagnosis 'possible'? Is there uncertainty about this and if so, why? Have there been psychotic episodes, hallucinations etc? Are you being medicated for schizophrenia as well as bipolar or just the bipolar at this stage? What does 'reasonably' stabilized mean and his there a stage beyond reasonable like 'definitely' etc?

One of the reasons I ask all this (and please don't feel compelled to reply in public - just think about the answers) is for your own best interests. If the diagnosis is incomplete at this point in time, wouldn't it be a good idea to get the mental illness issues completely settled before thinking about anything else? I have been a psychiatric nurse and I am aware that relapses are common for those suffering from mental illness.

If religious life is important to you, then some serious reflection on why you feel this way, might be the next step - is it to make you feel better about yourself, more complete, less isolated etc... in other words, is it because you think RL will supply something that you lack already? If so, this is not a good foundation for a vocation. You need to be thinking not about what you can get from RL but what you can contribute to a community.

If you establish that you definitely do have good and valid reasons for considering religious life, then have you considered the varieties of the communities and spiritualities that are available and felt an affinity for any of them in particular? RL of any kind is a challenge, especially in community, so the motivation and commitment have to be pretty strong to help overcome any obstacles (and with a mental illness, you will have your own challenges to deal with as well).

These are all the practical things to consider. Whether or not you have a vocation is between you and God but since it takes place here on earth, and not in heaven, there are other people involved in the process, so being practical matters a lot.

I do wish you well in your vocational journey, and hope that you get all of your medical issues sorted out to your satisfaction.

MonjaFutura -  I kept my post 'general' because it's a sensitive topic, but I think Nunsense was good to post what she did. Some of those issues will need to be explored and pinned down for you. Like Nunsense says, don't feel you need to write sensitive stuff here though. It's just stuff to think about. There are lots of people without a specific diagnosis who are told it could be this or that for years on end. I don't know if that's your situation. If they think you have symptoms of both have they mentioned schizoaffective disorder.  Either way, it's something you'd need to get some clairity on with those who have been involved and know you best.

Actually as a mod -- MonjaFutura I strongly recommend that you do *not* post sensitive stuff here.  This is a very public forum, and honestly you never know if one of the communities you may end up discerning with will be actively (or even "lurking") on here.

And yes Nunsense is right -- first thing *is* to explore the issues and make sure everything is stable before going forward with the idea of religious life, otherwise the issues will most likely get in the way.

Praying for you.

I am currently battling anxiety, and a mix of depression, and have an still am discerning a religious life, but I am also moving forward with getting help through proper medication and counseling,, and I think those of us with M.I in any form from minor to sever, have a lot more to prove than those that don't. For me before I try again, I am going to make sure I do things different, first by finishing college, which I am terrified about for so many reasons, and then during that time I hope to gain employment again or at the latest after graduation, from there , doing those two things for me, will counter having to deal with depression and anxiety in an argument if it comes up in any future hypothetical review board. I personally don't think it is a worry of oh no he or she has a M.I it is, more is this person successfully functioning in life over all.  And then there is still hope because there are soooo many religious orders and states that need people or at the least applicants to their order / diocese.

And hey if some how I manage to run through all 50 states either I will get the hint that this is not the life God wants me to pursue that He has other plans for me, or I am going to say well, there is Europe to try next.

I already told God once He would have to knock me down pretty hard to get me to realize this was not where he wanted me to be, but I managed to get back up is the thing so I have to keep on trying this religious path until I am satisfied that not only did I give my best, but that I can humbly accept that this not my calling in life. And right now neither has happened.

But I am also glad to find out there are religious orders who wont flat out turn people away based on M.I.

Hey perhaps we need to start our own Mental Illness order of Religious.

OnlySunshine

I am currently battling anxiety, and a mix of depression, and have an still am discerning a religious life, but I am also moving forward with getting help through proper medication and counseling,, and I think those of us with M.I in any form from minor to sever, have a lot more to prove than those that don't. For me before I try again, I am going to make sure I do things different, first by finishing college, which I am terrified about for so many reasons, and then during that time I hope to gain employment again or at the latest after graduation, from there , doing those two things for me, will counter having to deal with depression and anxiety in an argument if it comes up in any future hypothetical review board. I personally don't think it is a worry of oh no he or she has a M.I it is, more is this person successfully functioning in life over all.  And then there is still hope because there are soooo many religious orders and states that need people or at the least applicants to their order / diocese.

And hey if some how I manage to run through all 50 states either I will get the hint that this is not the life God wants me to pursue that He has other plans for me, or I am going to say well, there is Europe to try next.

I already told God once He would have to knock me down pretty hard to get me to realize this was not where he wanted me to be, but I managed to get back up is the thing so I have to keep on trying this religious path until I am satisfied that not only did I give my best, but that I can humbly accept that this not my calling in life. And right now neither has happened.

But I am also glad to find out there are religious orders who wont flat out turn people away based on M.I.

Hey perhaps we need to start our own Mental Illness order of Religious.

College did and is doing wonders for my self-esteem and mental balance.  I feel "normal" again and really love what I'm doing.  I think you should go for it.  I've heard that those who try to prove themselves in religious life with a mental illness end up succeeding more if they have more life experience and skills than those who do not.  I was about to enter religious life in 2009 and I'm so glad I didn't because I don't think it would have worked out then.  Now, I'm a little over a year away from graduation and I realize that I've learned so much about myself because of it!  :)

College did and is doing wonders for my self-esteem and mental balance.  I feel "normal" again and really love what I'm doing.  I think you should go for it.  I've heard that those who try to prove themselves in religious life with a mental illness end up succeeding more if they have more life experience and skills than those who do not.  I was about to enter religious life in 2009 and I'm so glad I didn't because I don't think it would have worked out then.  Now, I'm a little over a year away from graduation and I realize that I've learned so much about myself because of it!  :)

Ty for sharing,  it is deff hard, and I am deff going through with finishing college, it just makes me sick that I really don't believe in going back to college is going to amount to anything, but i think i am moving from going back to college out of desperation to realizing that i am Trusting God and having more Hope in Him in going back and finishing, rather than just do it because it is the right thing to do. if that makes any sense... Going back and finishing cant possibly make my life any harder than it already is ! lol an it beats going back into the army !

Monjafutra asked a complex, yet simple question. Yes, a lot depends on the particulars of her situation AND the policies/reaction from the community. But the question really centered around the word: hope. And yes, there is hope. Monjafutura, I hope you take the mod's advice and don't write any more about the details of your situation. Let the community/communities come to know.you first and find out their attitude before even disclosing. A lot awaits you in terms of discernment and medical issues is just one factor. I wish you health, peace and encouragement. Like others, I will pray for you.

• 8 years later...
BarbTherese
15 hours ago, GraceUk said:

I replied to this topic that I found which could be useful Because I cant do links. 

Go to top right three dots of the Post you would like a link for and click

In the drop down (or drop up) menu select SHARE and you have your link, simply copy &paste

Hope that helps, Grace, I am only a learner too :) 

Edit: From the internet, highlight the browser address and then copy and paste