An Old School Catholic Message Board

Favorite Quotes From Saints!

LittleFlower123

LittleFlower123

Hi all! I think something that has helped me in my Religious Discernment a lot is quotes from the saints! Here are two of my favorites:

"I am a little pencil in the hand of God writing a love letter to the world." - Mother Theresa of Calcutta

"If a little flower could speak, it seems to me that it would tell quite simply what God had done for it, without hiding any of its gifts."- St. Therese of Lisieux

Can't wait to hear what everyone else has to share!
P.S.: it's great to now be a member in phatmass :)

brandelynmarie

"Do whatever He tells you." St. John 2:15, our Blessed Mother :saint:

Oh & :welcome:

Edited by brandelynmarie

These are not necessarily vocation-related, but all of them have influenced my vocation heavily.

From Blessed Charles de Foucauld (Little Brother Charles of Jesus):

"The one thing we owe absolutely to God is never to be afraid of anything."

"Let us be afraid of one thing only, not to love Jesus enough."

"In order to save us, God came to us and lived among us, from the Annunciation to the Ascension, in a close and familiar way. God continues to come to us and to live with us in a close and familiar way, each day and at every hour, in the holy Eucharist. So we too must go and live among our brothers and sisters in a close and familiar way."

"Let us have this faith which banishes all fear. We have besides us, facing us, in us, our Jesus, our God who loves us infinitely, is all-powerful, knows what is best for us, tells us to seek the kingdom and that the rest will be given to us."

"His whole life long he did nothing but go down. He went down in becoming flesh, he went down in becoming a baby, went down in obeying, went down in becoming poor, rejected, persecuted, crucified, in always taking the lowest place...When he came on earth, God so completely took the lowest place that no one has been able to take it from him."

"Let us love all human beings because they are our brothers and sisters; God wants us to look at them tenderly and love them just as they are, because each is a child of God, who is beloved and adored; Our Lord paid the price for their love with his blood. They are covered with Our Lord's blood like a coat, for the love of God and of Jesus extend to all to the point of his being consumed for them in the sacrifice of Calvary."

"Let us be persons of desire and of prayer. Let us never believe anything to be impossible: God can do all."

"Jesus is Master of the impossible."

From Little Sister Magdeleine:

"Did the Lord Jesus choose? Did he not offer his arms wide open to the nails of the cross so that no one might be excluded from his love, be that person the most selfish and most ungrateful of human beings or the hardest and most unjust of employers. The Lord Jesus suffered and died for all. In the name of his love, all, without exception, have a right to your love."

"This is the essence of our vocation: to succeed in the difficult task of finding place in our hearts for all those people whom we are in close contact with in our day-to-day life, those whom the Lord places on our path, and to do it as though they were the only friend we had. That is the message of our Community, and I want us to carry it throughout the world, over every continent, to all peoples, be they Christians, Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, Marxists or non-believers."

"Before being religious, be human and Christian in all the strength and beauty of these terms. Christ was true God and true man, so do not be afraid of being human; for the more you are totally human, the more you be able to give glory to the Father, who is glorified in his creatures."

"We must place ourselves firmly in an attitude of hope and love as we look towards the future. The Lord is always there. He is present in the darkest tunnels we pass through."

"Immerse yourself deeply among people by sharing their life, through friendship and love. Give yourself to them completely like Jesus who came to serve and not to be served; you too become one with them. Then you will be like leaven which must lose itself in the dough to make it rise."

From St Colette:

"As God pleases, as God wills."

From St John of the Cross:

"Where there is no love, put love - and you will find love."

Love is repaid by love alone.--St. John of the Cross, motto of St. Therese of the Child Jesus.

Suffering is the money with which one buys Heaven.--St. Theophane Venard.

The more sacrifice during the day, the closer we are to the Heart of Jesus at nightfall.--St. Madeleine Sophie Barat.

Death, but not sin!--St. Dominic Savio.

You cannot be a half-saint. You must be a whole saint or no saint at all.--St. Therese of the Child Jesus.

Let us return to Him love for love, that is what He asks of us, a generous love, a selfless love: and there we will find the source of our happiness and our perseverance in the way of the perfection.--Blessed Maria of the Divine Heart.

He (Our Lord) declares that since the exterior cult of His Divine Heart has been introduced by His apparitions to St. Margaret Mary, He now desires the establishment of the interior cult, that is, that souls grow in the habit of uniting themselves interiorly ever more and more with Him, offering Him their hearts as an abiding resting place.--Blessed Maria of the Divine Heart.

Jesus is my only Love.--St. Therese of the Child Jesus.

God will provide!--St. Maria Mazzarello

My Mother, may all who look at me see You!--Venerable Teresita Quevedo

The saints throw themselves completely into the fire of God's love. We stick our finger into the flame, find that it is too hot, and spend the rest of our lives walking around and around God.--Blessed Columba Marmion.

veritasluxmea

“Say often, “O Sacred Heart of Jesus, I have confidence in You,” even though you don’t feel it- feelings do not matter.” - Bl. Columba Marmion

"Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words."
-attributed to Saint Francis of Assis
i

http://www.americancatholic.org/messenger/oct2001/Wiseman.asp
This is a great quote, very Franciscan in its spirit, but not literally from St. Francis. The thought is his; this catchy phrasing is not in his writings or in the earliest biographies about him.

In Chapter XVII of his Rule of 1221, Francis told the friars not to preach unless they had received the proper permission to do so. Then he added, “Let all the brothers, however, preach by their deeds.”

“Hell is full of good wishes and desires."--St. Bernard Of Clairvaux

Hehe, yes - and 'the road to hell is paved with good intentions'.

How true that is in my life!

• 7 years later...

favorite st. quote,... it's a long one

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace:
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
where there is sadness, joy.
O divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
to be consoled as to console,
to be understood as to understand,
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive,
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

Prayer of St. Francis of Assisi (Prayer for Peace)

• 3 weeks later...
Lady Grey, Hot

"He needs, He consents to need, every one of us." - St. John Henry Cardinal Newman

(Might be apocryphal - I couldn't track down a source. Has been know to make me tear up a little regardless.)

Bl Mary Ward:

"Do not begin by criticising what is bad in anyone. But rather, by showing them the opposite virtue, lead them to wish for it." 

Sometimes helps me stay patient... and joyful!