PhuturePriest Posted July 1, 2014 Author Posted July 1, 2014 I hate how my body looks and it makes me feel really insecure :( I know that's its not common for men to feel that way, but I do Many more men than you'd think possible feel the same way. Don't think for a second that you're a statistical anomaly.
Perigrina Posted July 1, 2014 Posted July 1, 2014 I don't necessarily buy into the theory that women rely on attraction to get married more than men do. According to study after study, about 75% of women in America would never consider dating me because I'm only 5'5". I've never seen a study saying 75% of men won't date women who don't have C cups. I honestly don't like the constant "We hurt more than you do" approach we have so often on Phatmass and in society in general. Men get paid more and are more successful than most women. But you have to consider most women get married and are stay-at-home moms. Women are assaulted more, objectified, and are more often victims of sexual violence. By the same token, men have a much higher percentage of getting into car accidents, dropping out of high school, and getting into hardcore drugs and lawbreaking. Men have much higher chances of not reporting being raped or sexually assaulted than women, and there are staggeringly high rates of men who don't report domestic violence done on them by their wives due to social taboo. Many men who report sexual violence aren't believed, and are told there's no way it happened because they are men, and it "only happens to girls". Each gender has its statistical and societal downsides, and I think we should just admit society treats both genders badly and try to fix all of it, rather than fixating and crying out injustice on just one gender. Usually I am the one making this speech. I completely agree with you about how hard things are for men and how unreasonable the "women as victims" narrative is. I really did not mean to sound like I was buying into "we hurt more than you do". I just wanted to say that women and men deal with physical attractiveness differently. But the pain that men feel around this subject is just as real and important.
Fidei Defensor Posted July 1, 2014 Posted July 1, 2014 I can see that if you feel this way, my comment could have been hurtful. I am sorry if I hurt you or anyone else. It's alright, I know you didn't mean harm :) I just thought I'd point it out.
Perigrina Posted July 1, 2014 Posted July 1, 2014 It's alright, I know you didn't mean harm :) I just thought I'd point it out. Thank you. I appreciate it.
Credo in Deum Posted July 1, 2014 Posted July 1, 2014 Huffpost is full of it and so is that photographer. This is what real men look like: You're welcome.
chrysostom Posted July 1, 2014 Posted July 1, 2014 (edited) I honestly don't know how much of this is possible to change because of increasing media saturation. Companies make ads to sell products to the largest amounts of people. If they know that statistically a picture of a guy with a six-pack is going to sell their aftershave better than a picture of your average Joe, they will use that picture with the chiseled guy 100% of the time. Yes, advertisements are trendsetters in a way but each company's top priority will always be the bottom line. Honestly I was glad that my early years had comparatively little media saturation. There's so much junk out there that can affect you more deeply than you realized at the time. Edited July 1, 2014 by chrysostom
Credo in Deum Posted July 1, 2014 Posted July 1, 2014 I guess looking for average joes in the modeling world is like looking for strippers at a ballet or vice versa.
Perigrina Posted July 1, 2014 Posted July 1, 2014 Huffpost is full of it and so is that photographer. This is what real men look like: You're welcome. Seriously, I find the "fat" one more attractive.
Semper Catholic Posted July 1, 2014 Posted July 1, 2014 It's so hard being an upper mmiddle class white Christian man these days. The struggle is real.
PhuturePriest Posted July 1, 2014 Author Posted July 1, 2014 It's so hard being an upper mmiddle class white Christian man these days. The struggle is real. I live below the poverty line. Try again, Semper.
Semper Catholic Posted July 1, 2014 Posted July 1, 2014 I live below the poverty line. Try again, Semper. Living below the poverty line and living in poverty are two different tthings.
Kateri89 Posted July 1, 2014 Posted July 1, 2014 It's so hard being an upper mmiddle class white Christian man these days. The struggle is real. Why is it that when someone points out a problem in the culture, there are always others ready to tell that person that their complaint is trivial? Being white and Christian doesn't mean that someone is a bad person or that they aren't stereotyped and treated poorly. The mere fact that you made that statement shows that you stereotype people as well. At some point, because people keep telling Christians that they have no right to complain, they will have been quiet for long enough that they really will be oppressed.
Semper Catholic Posted July 1, 2014 Posted July 1, 2014 Why is it that when someone points out a problem in the culture, there are always others ready to tell that person that their complaint is trivial? Being white and Christian doesn't mean that someone is a bad person or that they aren't stereotyped and treated poorly. The mere fact that you made that statement shows that you stereotype people as well. At some point, because people keep telling Christians that they have no right to complain, they will have been quiet for long enough that they really will be oppressed. *looks back at last 2000 years of history* lol no I think white males are in pretty good shape as far as oppression.
PhuturePriest Posted July 1, 2014 Author Posted July 1, 2014 Living below the poverty line and living in poverty are two different tthings. It's different than living in upper-middle class. I have a friend who lives in the upper-middle class, and the stark contrast between the way she lives and the way I do is incredible.
PhuturePriest Posted July 1, 2014 Author Posted July 1, 2014 *looks back at last 2000 years of history* lol no I think white males are in pretty good shape as far as oppression. I am German, Irish, and Indian, all three of which underwent great struggles and periods of oppression.
Semper Catholic Posted July 1, 2014 Posted July 1, 2014 I am German, Irish, and Indian, all three of which underwent great struggles and periods of oppression. Have you ever been oppressed because you were irish, german, or indian?
Semper Catholic Posted July 1, 2014 Posted July 1, 2014 Seriously, I find the "fat" one more attractive. "Fat" in quotation marks? And yes morbid obesity is so hot right now.
Maggyie Posted July 1, 2014 Posted July 1, 2014 But you have to consider most women get married and are stay-at-home moms. Um..... Nope.
Perigrina Posted July 1, 2014 Posted July 1, 2014 "Fat" in quotation marks? And yes morbid obesity is so hot right now. I can't speak for anyone else, but I found that man more attractive than Mr. Chiseled Abs. The big guy looked real and the other looked like a model. I find real people more appealing. I put fat in quotation marks because the word has such negative connotations that I generally avoid using it. And yes, I know that being obese is not in fashion. That is pretty much the point of this thread. I am not going to let fashion dictate my tastes. I will like what I choose to like.
arfink Posted July 1, 2014 Posted July 1, 2014 Um..... Nope. Thank you for saying what I was thinking. ;)
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now