An Old School Catholic Message Board

Slipping!

Mary+Immaculate<3

Sr Mary Catharine OP

It must be a common experience for anyone who has ever been a sister to, at some point, use veil position to keep their head upright at prayers. I have at one time or another been guilty of this as well! No one knows you might have dozed if your head is still upright!

I've never had a problem with my veil slipping off although there have been times I've wondered if I even remembered to put it on. I really don't even feel it anymore. I wear a veil similar in style to what be thou my vision linked to but I wouldn't call the mesh lining particularly sturdy and I don't put a headband in it even though it is made for one. Once I break a veil in, it seems to just mold to my head and naturally rests where I like it to. Maybe I have a good shaped head, lol, but I've never had a problem with it.

Lucky you! We used to use the cap that Fitzgeralds and Wrights makes but recently I have entirely redesigned the cap and it fit much better and doesn't slip back and forth or back or forward. It's a bit more complicated to make but I hope everyone will find it worth it. I find that the caps tend not to fit individuals as well and often the patterns need adjusting. Still, they are much easier to take care of than the guimpe which in the heat often gets dirty and needs a lot of mending. At least when you live in NJ!

Credo in Deum

This topic reminded me of a quote from the show "Bless Me Father."

"What happens under a nun's veil is as mysterious as what happens under a Scotsman's kilt." --Fr. Dudleswell responding to his young curate Fr. Neil when asked about Mother Stephen's hair. :hehe:

maximillion

Yes...I second that Sr Mary Catherine. I always used to think to myself 'praise God I am not wearing make-up too'!!!!

All that greasy grime round the chin - ugh!

There was only a little pang when we gave up our guimpes......

Edited by maximillion

Credo! I love that series! I have only watched the first 9 episodes though, I haven't been able to find any other ones.