An Old School Catholic Message Board

12 Year Old Brother Questions Faith

tinytherese

tinytherese

I posted this in the Raising Small Humans Board and was informed that I might get more responses here then there.

The other day, my 12 year old brother asked me why I didn't like to watch a certain sitcom (Modern Family.)

The gay couple on there is a near occasion of sin for me. When I've watched it, I've been tempted to think that that lifestyle is morally acceptable and that they should be able to adopt.

I told my brother that dating and marrying someone of the same sex is against our religion and he wanted to know why. I felt uncomfortable answering this. I told him that our mom could talk to him about it or I'd discuss it with him when he's older.

He didn't let the issue rest. He said that I hated gay people. I told him that just because the Church disagrees with how they live their lives that we don't hate them. We're not to be mean to them or bully them, but to treat them with respect regardless of how we disagree with their lifestyle choice. He wasn't convinced. He doesn't understand how you can disagree with them without hating them.

He talked about how for all we know, the stories in the Bible were made up just to sell copies.

"You know that Adam and Eve are just a parable right?"

He doesn't believe in the Big Bang Theory as to how the world came to exist though. He says that 2 cells creating the universe is hard to believe.

He also says that for all we know the Hindus or some other religion is right. We'll never know what is true.

He goes to a Catholic middle school, (well when it isn't summer.) I changed parishes from the one that my family attends because of the liberal priest and liturgical abuses such as the director of formation giving a homily. My mom and I have butted heads on faith issues, like when she said that she tells her clients to use contraceptives because she knows that they won't be chaste. My dad knows little about Christianity in general, let alone about Catholicism, despite converting to it. He thought that Mary Magdalene was the Mother of Our Lord. It wasn't easy to convince him otherwise.

Does anyone have any advice or age appropriate resources for a 12 year old boy? I'm not a fan of the Faith and Life Series, not because of it being unorthodox, but because of the tough writing style. I did an internship with kids a little older than my brother and they found it hard to understand.

Please, no debating about the issues that my brother has. Make separate threads on them.

PhuturePriest

Honestly, if your mother isn't a very big defender of the Faith, you're going to have to be the one who steps up to the plate. I assure you, by his age, he's knowledgeable enough about sexuality to be talked to about gay relationships and why they're wrong, even going into the sexual aspect of it. In fact, I highly recommend you buy him Pure Manhood by Jason Evert. I know in your eyes he's still a baby, but I could've used Pure Manhood when I was 10, let alone 12.

As for gay marriage, look at the Catechism about the subject, and find or think of a good analogy to explain why disagreeing with someone is not the same as hating them.

Edited by FuturePriest387

mortify ii

Note how the culture at large easily influences the youth. Media and regular sitcoms such as the one mentioned above are nothing more than propaganda and engage in social engineering. No lengthy arguments need to be made on why same-sex marriage is acceptable, rather the morality of it is assumed by default and presented this way. Your brother is already greatly influenced and going with the flow. Prepare for a good fight, although remain charitable and prudent. I think the biggest thing here is to not make the faith seem ugly. Focus on the love of God.

PhuturePriest

I think that a child that age would be able to understand this video: http://vimeo.com/93079367  

It gives a human face to people with SSA while remaining true to Church teaching.

Yes. This video x 1,000. It should be made mandatory for every Catholic to watch, quite honestly. In our culture, we need to be knowledgeable about this and know how to defend Church teaching and show it's not hateful, but loving.

I know that everyone who replies will likely be many times better at apologetics than I will be, so I'll leave that to them.

But I must point out that unless you intentionally hide or obfuscate the faith or intend to lead your brother away from it, you cannot be held responsible for a decision which is rightfully his, and only his, to make.

God has no grandchildren. The Catholic faith cannot in the truest sense be inherited, as at the core it is not a set of rules and knowledge, but a loving relationship with the person of God. Relationships can and must grow and change. Everyone has something they want to hold against God, it's just the same as human relationships. I hope your brother will realize, hopefully with your help, that even if he cannot grasp certain aspects of the Church's teaching right now, that holding onto the relationship with God is still important to him. If he can do that, then God's grace can work out the rest.

Credo in Deum

I posted this in the Raising Small Humans Board and was informed that I might get more responses here then there.

The other day, my 12 year old brother asked me why I didn't like to watch a certain sitcom (Modern Family.)

The gay couple on there is a near occasion of sin for me. When I've watched it, I've been tempted to think that that lifestyle is morally acceptable and that they should be able to adopt.

I told my brother that dating and marrying someone of the same sex is against our religion and he wanted to know why. I felt uncomfortable answering this. I told him that our mom could talk to him about it or I'd discuss it with him when he's older.

He didn't let the issue rest. He said that I hated gay people. I told him that just because the Church disagrees with how they live their lives that we don't hate them. We're not to be mean to them or bully them, but to treat them with respect regardless of how we disagree with their lifestyle choice. He wasn't convinced. He doesn't understand how you can disagree with them without hating them.

He talked about how for all we know, the stories in the Bible were made up just to sell copies.

He doesn't believe in the Big Bang Theory as to how the world came to exist though. He says that 2 cells creating the universe is hard to believe.

He also says that for all we know the Hindus or some other religion is right. We'll never know what is true.

He goes to a Catholic middle school, (well when it isn't summer.) I changed parishes from the one that my family attends because of the liberal priest and liturgical abuses such as the director of formation giving a homily. My mom and I have butted heads on faith issues, like when she said that she tells her clients to use contraceptives because she knows that they won't be chaste. My dad knows little about Christianity in general, let alone about Catholicism, despite converting to it. He thought that Mary Magdalene was the Mother of Our Lord. It wasn't easy to convince him otherwise.

Does anyone have any advice or age appropriate resources for a 12 year old boy? I'm not a fan of the Faith and Life Series, not because of it being unorthodox, but because of the tough writing style. I did an internship with kids a little older than my brother and they found it hard to understand.

Please, no debating about the issues that my brother has. Make separate threads on them.

PM me your address and I will purchase and send a green scapular your way. 

No heresy is a match for the Immaculate Heart of Mary. 

Edited by Credo in Deum

PM me your address and I will purchase and send a green scapular your way. 

No heresy is a match for the Immaculate Heart of Mary. 

If he will wear it willingly, this is a great idea. I love my Green Scapular. It comforts me and I swear the Virgin Mother helps me with my depression, if even in the smallest amounts.

Credo in Deum

If he will wear it willingly, this is a great idea. I love my Green Scapular. It comforts me and I swear the Virgin Mother helps me with my depression, if even in the smallest amounts.

The Green Scapular is actually beneficial for the unwilling as well, John.  

Our Lady replied: This scapular is not like others 

(it is not based on a religious habit) but merely two 
holy images on a single piece of material. Therefore, 
no special formula is required to bless it or enroll 
someone in its use. It suffices that it be blessed by a 
Catholic priest and worn by the one whom we desire 
to benefit by Our Lady’s intercession. If, on the 
other hand, the person is unable, or even unwilling, 
to wear it or carry it, it may even be slipped, 
unknown to them, into their clothes, possessions, 
home or work environments, etc.

There is one short prayer that is said, at least once 
a day (although saying it often is encouraged) : 

“Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us 
now and at the hour of our death. Amen”

If the person who is the intended beneficiary does 
not say this prayer, then anyone else can say it for 
them. The Green Scapular may be used anywhere, 
for anyone. Miraculous changes have taken place in 
secular work environments and other public places. 
We have also seen miraculous gifts of healing given 
by the Mother of God, for non-Catholics and even 
non-Christians! Such is the mercy, power, and love 
of our Heavenly Mother! 

Not The Philosopher

It is perhaps also worth pointing out that sometimes kids can go through smart alec phases where they're not gonna be very good listeners.

In any event, your most important duty is to pray for your brother.

You're brother sounds amesome.  Leave him alone.  

Except to let him know that the big bang theory has nothing at all to do with cells.  

http://science.nasa.gov/astrophysics/focus-areas/what-powered-the-big-bang/

Norseman82

Has he had "the talk" yet?

Give him a lamp (not plugged in) and ask him to turn it on.  When he plugs it into the outlet, ask him why he didn't plug it into another plug.  When he says that's how you get electricity to the lamp, call him a bigot who hates plugs.

Edited by Norseman82

Semper Catholic

Has he had "the talk" yet?

Give him a lamp (not plugged in) and ask him to turn it on. When he plugs it into the outlet, ask him why he didn't plug it into another plug. When he says that's how you get electricity to the lamp, call him a bigot who hates plugs.

This is wrong on so many levels. I can't even.

tinytherese

I might have a green scapular already. Knowing him, he'd try to get rid of it or destroy it. He'd find it even if I hid it under his pillow.

What he really has an issue with is why God allows suffering. It looks cruel to him because God is capable of preventing bad things from happening.

He's the biggest smart alec I know, especially with me. Annoying me is one of his hobbies. He defies me because he knows how it irritates me and infamous with arguing with people.

He knows what sex is, but isn't interested in that. He still thinks that girls are yucky. He's preoccupied with WWE, videogames, and superheroes.