An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ok Monk (lay Brother) In Culinary School

Luigi

brandelynmarie

I own a few cookbooks on "monastic" cooking. :bible: :eat: Such wonderful ideas for soups & casseroles....& feast days :hehe2:

I think that is awesome :)

Edited by brandelynmarie

I know of a priest and a religious sister who went to culinary school.  :)

Well, the Church has always emphasized the importance of the Last Supper, so I guess the culinary arts have always had a special place in Catholic tradition.

Am I right?

TheresaThoma

I bet his Brothers will be thrilled to have him back and are ready to try out all the yummy new recipes he learned!

I own a few cookbooks on "monastic" cooking. :bible: :eat: Such wonderful ideas for soups & casseroles....& feast days :hehe2:

I think that is amesome :)

:-O There are monastic cookbooks?!?!?! Show me some, please!!!

I think this monk studying cooking is awesome. But I always thought the culinary arts had a special place in Church tradition simply because Catholics love to eat. And drink. And dance. Truly, Protestant converts to Catholicism tend to be kinda' shocked at the "looseness" of Catholics until they begin to understand how Catholics view the small pleasures of life!

brandelynmarie

From A Monastery Kitchen: The Classic Natural Foods Cookbook & Twelve Months of Monastery Soups by Brother Victor D'Avila-Latourrette :)

I also have Cooking With The Saints by Ernst Schuegraf...it covers various recipes for saints' feast days...some traditional, some not so traditional :saint: :saint: :saint:

brandelynmarie

I like to think about how Jesus cooked breakfast for the apostles on the beach after the Resurrection. :)

He made them fresh bread & cooked the fish they had caught over hot coals...

Jesus said to them, "Come have breakfast."

St. John 21:1-17

Fr. Dominic, "the bread monk," used to have a show on PBS. In the Facebook search box, type: 

Father Dominic, the Bread Monk

He lives at St. Bede Abbey in Northern Illinois. 

Edited by Luigi

Should we make a separate thread about culinary monks? It's interesting, but should it really be in VocSta? 

Anyway, the Trappist monks of Mepkin Abbey in South Carolina support themselves by growing and selling oyster mushrooms. Here's the link to a page full of recipes, with another three pages connected to it. 

Mangia bene!

From A Monastery Kitchen: The Classic Natural Foods Cookbook & Twelve Months of Monastery Soups by Brother Victor D'Avila-Latourrette :)

I also have Cooking With The Saints by Ernst Schuegraf...it covers various recipes for saints' feast days...some traditional, some not so traditional :saint: :saint: :saint:

Fr. Dominic, "the bread monk," used to have a show on PBS. In the Facebook search box, type: 

Father Dominic, the Bread Monk

He lives at St. Bede Abbey in Northern Illinois. 

Oh my gosh. Who knew about all this?! I'm so happy! Thank you both! :) :) :)