An Old School Catholic Message Board

First Retreat/visit With Discalced Carmelites

beccasmiles89

beccasmiles89

Just thought I would post a little update! :) I went on my first vocation retreat at the end of May...absolutely loved it!!! It was with the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus in St. Louis. The sisters are so, so sweet and joyful and loving. I loved spending time with them in prayer. A few of the sisters talked with us about discernment, the religious life, and Carmel, and we also got to see the daycare and the assisted living home where the sisters serve. A lot of my questions were answered during the retreat, and I felt more and more the tug on my heart to know and follow God's will.

At the end of the retreat, I also got to spend a few hours with the cloistered Carmelites in St. Louis before flying home. It was a lovely visit, and the chapel and monastery are so beautiful and peaceful!! Mother Mary Joseph visited with me for about 30 minutes or so in the parlor, and then she invited me to pray the Rosary and the Liturgy of the Hours with the sisters in their chapel. Afterwards, we all had lunch in the refectory, and since it was the Feast of the Ascension, everyone was talking and laughing and sharing stories. I loved the sisters, and I felt at home the entire time I was there. I've made plans to go back for a two-week live-in in October - I'm very excited, and I pray that this experience will be helpful in my discernment!

Keeping you all in my heart and prayers!

Dear Beccasmiles89,

What an honor and a grace to be allowed into the Nun's Chapel to pray the Rosary, the Liturgy of the Hours and to eat with them in the Refectory (and talk!) on such a great feast day!

This is experience - no matter where you go - will forever be imprinted on your heart. I am so, so happy to hear that Mother Mary Joseph was so welcoming and lovely. 

This is the way to encourage vocations!!!

Enjoy this gift Jesus gave you!

Rose

beccasmiles89

amesome :) praying for you :pray:

Thank you, brandelynmarie!! :)

Dear Beccasmiles89,

What an honor and a grace to be allowed into the Nun's Chapel to pray the Rosary, the Liturgy of the Hours and to eat with them in the Refectory (and talk!) on such a great feast day!

This is experience - no matter where you go - will forever be imprinted on your heart. I am so, so happy to hear that Mother Mary Joseph was so welcoming and lovely. 

This is the way to encourage vocations!!!

Enjoy this gift Jesus gave you!

Rose

Oh definitely, I'm sure I will always remember my visit with these sweet sisters! I never thought I would be invited into the cloister so soon - up until Mother Mary Joseph asked if I'd like to pray the Rosary with them, I was thinking we'd just be visiting in the parlor! It was such a beautiful, humbling experience, one that, as you said, will always be close to my heart. :) My birthday was the next day, and that morning, I checked my email to find birthday wishes from two of the sisters - it was such a nice surprise!!

• 2 weeks later...