An Old School Catholic Message Board

Kickstarter Or Indiegogo

paradox

do you guys have any thoughts on crowdfunding campaigns like Kickstarter or Indiegogo? what sorts of perks would you be interested in from an artist trying to finance a new project? i'm considering going this way for an upcoming solo album, but wanted to get some feedback from people before launch.

thanks in advance.

If I think of an advantage of one platform over the other, I'll let you know. I'm doing some research on it myself. Generally though, Kickstarter has more eyes on it and has the brand recognition, kinda like Facebook in that regard. However, their terms are more strict, and some people didn't like that and go to Indiegogo.

It seems like one attractive aspect of Indiegogo is the "Flexible Funding" option, where you get whatever you raise, even if you don't meet your pre-determined goal. I need to research the percentage each takes, though.

Thanks for the response and please let me know if you come across any additional pros and cons.

It seems like one attractive aspect of Indiegogo is the "Flexible Funding" option, where you get whatever you raise, even if you don't meet your pre-determined goal. I need to research the percentage each takes, though.

Thanks for the response and please let me know if you come across any additional pros and cons.

Yes, but this may be a deterrent to people giving money. For example, I gave to the Fr Pontifex project because I never thought he would reach his goal. LOL

Also, some people may not want to give money to a project that has the potential of only being 1/2 funded because they may feel that it would be a waste.

I think the "all or nothing" approach is better because there is a chance they won't have to give at all, but if they do, it is worthwhile--which I think encourages people to give even more--at least it did for me.

dUSt,

I understand what you're saying. Pontifex and I actually talked about the psychology behind the "all-or-nothing" campaign. The flip-side of what you said is it can seem to motivate people to donate, due to a sense of urgency that, if they don't, the project will never materialize. For me, I'll likely be putting up a decent sum of my own money before even launching the campaign, so that I have a significant amount of material from the project I'm hoping to fund already completed. That way, potential backers can hear the direction of the project and feel more confident that it will actually be completed. In that case, "flexible funding" is attractive, because if I don't hit my goal, at least I'm not entirely out-of-pocket. Ultimately, I know you'll donate enough to cover the entire thing, though, which I'm grateful for in advance (don't worry, my goal's not nearly as ambitious as the Pontifex project).

maximillion

A personal perspective? I have been more motivated to give by those projects that have a cut off date or some sort of 'do it now' aspect.....but that could just be me.

• 2 weeks later...
brandelynmarie

Go with IndieGoGo. :) Without going into detail, I like what I have seen of it so far. Blessings on your endeavors. :)