An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Vocation Visit

beatitude

As I've said in other threads, I've been corresponding with a secular institute since 2012 but I haven't had chance to meet anyone from it yet as all the members in my home country have died. My in-person introduction to the spirituality of their institute has been through residential stays with religious sisters who are part of the same 'family', and while this has been very valuable it's not quite the same thing as meeting SI members in person. In a few days I will be going to France to do just that. Please pray for me and for them, that it will be a fruitful visit. I will post an update on how it goes.

i am about to pray compline and will include huge big juicy prayers for your discernment, with thanksgiving for the wisdom you bring to these boards. God bless.

TheresaThoma

Beatitude that sounds lovely! I will be praying for you. Enjoy France it is such a beautiful country!

brandelynmarie

Prayers & I'm so very happy for you! Please kiss the ground for me...I loved visiting France. :french:

this is amesome. in my country, about 10 year ago i used to want to be in a SI, but most were small and full of very elderly folk. so i didnt.

i have heard good things about Foclorae - in the USA some CVs are sent to them for formation. some people really like Opus Dei also (not for me).

and i also know a very edifying SI, 'The Works' . they wear a special garment on certain special occassions in the church (not outside).

here is a very lovely picture of it the+work+6.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_wcRtmezeJII/SogMJ9pJeyI/AAAAAAAAARg/oamx0oLOFDE/s1600-h/the+work+6.jpg

profession of vows: http://www.daswerk-fso.org/deutsch/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/ch-feier5.jpg

I am interested to know how you discerned this, it seems a very rare vocation nowadays.

Blessings for your visit

Edited by oremus1

maximillion

Enjoy ALL of it Beatitude, the spiritual of course, but all the rest too! Praying it will be a joy filled occasion at every level.

Catherine Therese

Safe travel, Beatitude, may He be with you on your journey, which I hope is a fruitful one for you!

Sr Mary Catharine OP

The Schoenstatt Sisters of Mary are a secular institute and very Marian!

I'm back (and exhausted after a long train ride!). It was wonderful in every respect. I was met by two women from the institute - my correspondent, and another lady who is also very involved in the formation team. We had a long talk, went to Mass together, and also did some sight-seeing, which involved visiting two churches so beautiful that they took my breath away.

I felt very comfortable with these women from the outset. Of course it helps that we've been writing to each other, but even so, I wasn't expecting to feel as relaxed as I did. I noticed that our conversation segued quite naturally from the serious topics to the more lighthearted ones and back again, just as it would when I'm with friends. In the past, when I went on vocation retreats to convents and monasteries, I always felt a bit stiff and self-conscious - not nervous exactly, but conscious of how the sisters might be perceiving me and wanting to make my best impression. I didn't feel like that here. I didn't care that I spilled my lunch all over my lap. I just liked these women and felt quite at home with them. I think they felt the same about me, as they invited me to come back soon.

We discussed many things, but my main question was about formation, especially as I'm the only enquirer from the UK at present. My mind has been set at ease about everything concerning that. They have a number of interested women who are scattered quite widely across the world, so they've been devising a plan. It is a very lengthy formation process, which I already knew - nine years in total - and somehow this doesn't bother me, although at one time I would have been chomping at the bit to get somewhere faster. Spiritually I think I need it. I have a lot of growing to do. We also talked a lot about their prayer life, which is rooted in an hour of daily Adoration. I love that. Their prayer obligations seem just right for me - not so heavy that they would feel daunting and difficult to balance, but still structured. They gave me a booklet of testimonies from different members to read on the way home, which show very clearly how the spirituality is lived out from day to day. I was interested to see that a lot of members seem to be in healthcare professions. I myself have worked in hospitals and special schools and I'd like to do so again in the future. I especially liked what these members had to say about how their work had come to feel like an extension of Adoration for them.

I am going to pray about everything we discussed, and if I'm still in the same mind once the initial enthusiasm from the visit has worn off, I will write to them and ask if they can sign me up properly. :)

veritasluxmea

I felt very comfortable with these women from the outset. Of course it helps that we've been writing to each other, but even so, I wasn't expecting to feel as relaxed as I did. I noticed that our conversation segued quite naturally from the serious topics to the more lighthearted ones and back again, just as it would when I'm with friends. In the past, when I went on vocation retreats to convents and monasteries, I always felt a bit stiff and self-conscious - not nervous exactly, but conscious of how the sisters might be perceiving me and wanting to make my best impression. I didn't feel like that here. I didn't care that I spilled my lunch all over my lap. I just liked these women and felt quite at home with them. I think they felt the same about me, as they invited me to come back soon.

Congratulations again! Prayers continued as you discern your next step. I love the above paragraph... I think that's a great description of finding your "fit" with a spiritual family. I'll keep it in mind when I visit communities.