An Old School Catholic Message Board

Feast/name Days

chrysostom

Are we talking about confirmation saints? Or the saint we are named after? Because I know nothing about the saint I'm named after (if one even exists :unsure: ) however, I have a pretty strong devotion to my confirmation saint, St. Francis de Sales (best Francis in my opinion, only one who is a doctor of the Church!  :winner: )

This distinction never even occurred to me! 

For Orthodox, confirmation (Holy Chrismation) and baptism are done together, so, a bit different.

Oh yeah! I always forget that. That brings up the question of the order of the sacraments of initiation for Roman Catholics, but I won't get into it, totally off topic. 

This distinction never even occurred to me! 

Makes sense, you're Orthodox! For you, it isn't a distinction. Question, do you take a saints name then in addition to the name you are baptized with? For Roman Catholic's its typically Name (First/Middle) Confirmation/Saint Name, Family Name. What is it for Orthodox? 

Makes sense, you're Orthodox! For you, it isn't a distinction. Question, do you take a saints name then in addition to the name you are baptized with? For Roman Catholic's its typically Name (First/Middle) Confirmation/Saint Name, Family Name. What is it for Orthodox? 

As with so many things in Orthodoxy it depends on the priest / situation / different traditions.  (Helpful, ain't it?)  The baptismal name is the saint's name.  This is ideally the child's first name, but not necessarily. 

With converts to the faith it differs slightly.  Some priests will have them keep their own name (so long as it is a saint's name) others will have them choose a new name regardless.   

maximillion

I got into this custom in the convent and now keep it.......it also avoids lots of questions about one's age. :saint2:  :winner:

It also means I get to talk about a certain Greek saint. ;)