An Old School Catholic Message Board

Male Virginity! Say Whaaaat?!

Credo in Deum

There may be a secular institute that are for single men who choose to stay celibate (akin to a woman staying celibate and not marrying, but not virginity per se).  There is a website for secular institutes (if someone can post it that would be really cool).  That website may have more particulars.

http://www.secularinstitutes.org/

If you are called to it by God then test it and discuss it with a spiritual director. The church does have the capacity to recognise new streams of consecrated life. I doubt you are alone. It's likely that some people may feel alone and discouraged by the current lack of recognition, and it always takes time. I mean for a good long while the church didn't really focus so much on the consecrated hermit or female virgin calling. Now it does, in a fashion. But it's not open to men, because of the language used. But there may well be a future revision , or addition, if the church sees the need.
The key maybe seeing if you can form an association of Catholic men who think likewise, then something may come out of that. I guess you could start online and go from there. This maybe something that is being stirred up by the spirit and it could become recognised more formally in the future. At the moment, as far as I know, private vows are the only recourse for those called to be specifically male virgins. Of course this can be lived out in a celibate secular institute or likewise. But it depends if you feel called to those ways of life or not.

Edited by Benedictus

MarysLittleFlower

Your question made me remember something I read :) if you study the traditional teaching on virginity, I think for any person (male or female) there's something special about it that is distinct from celibacy only. It's not only that women who are virgins can be consecrated virgins: the idea is that a person, any person, male or female, offering virginity to God is doing something special because of what virginity means. Of course for CVs it has a particular reason. But virginity in itself is something beautiful to God. There's a beautiful chapter on chastity in the "Three Ages of the Interior Life" by Fr Garrigou-Lagrange, sadly I can't seem to get my computer to copy and paste the link here, but it's available online... it's about chastity but talks also about virginity, and how it affects the spiritual life. It's really beautiful. If you put "Three Ages of the Interior Life" into internet search you might find it... there's a chapter about chastity and the description is there.. if you're interested :) God bless you!

Edited by MarysLittleFlower