An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Would You Do?

OnlySunshine

OnlySunshine

I wanted to add that I did follow the advice I was given to me by the first vd and told the new vd about what I was asked to do. I believe the vd had more insight into what I needed at the time than I could understand.

I know what you mean.  It seems all too easy to dismiss their advice because you think, "They don't know me.  I've only been here once.  How could they know what I need to change?"  But then again, hindsight is 20/20.  ;)

Sister Rose Therese

Two things I like to mention. 

Yes, Sisters talk.  But that is not to say we share private information about candidates with indiscriminantly other Sisters.  The Vocation Director has been appointed by the Superior to be the contact person for candidates to their community.  Also, decisions about candidates are not made solely by the VD, but with the Superior and council.

I know if our Superior got a personal message from a candidate she would hand it off to me to handle as Vocation Director.  Also, I talk to the Superior and the Council about candidates to get their perspective and recommendations.

About the advice from the past VD, I know communications are not always clear.  Sometimes what we think we have said is far from what the listener thinks they heard.  That being said, the VD will be looking to see whether the candidate can/would live the vows.  Obedience isn't about following directives only if you think they are right.  If you have a reasonable objection to you you can present that, but deciding on your own that you won't do it, would be perceived as an indication that you are not ready to live the vow of obedience.

OnlySunshine

Two things I like to mention. 

Yes, Sisters talk.  But that is not to say we share private information about candidates with indiscriminantly other Sisters.  The Vocation Director has been appointed by the Superior to be the contact person for candidates to their community.  Also, decisions about candidates are not made solely by the VD, but with the Superior and council.

I know if our Superior got a personal message from a candidate she would hand it off to me to handle as Vocation Director.  Also, I talk to the Superior and the Council about candidates to get their perspective and recommendations.

About the advice from the past VD, I know communications are not always clear.  Sometimes what we think we have said is far from what the listener thinks they heard.  That being said, the VD will be looking to see whether the candidate can/would live the vows.  Obedience isn't about following directives only if you think they are right.  If you have a reasonable objection to you you can present that, but deciding on your own that you won't do it, would be perceived as an indication that you are not ready to live the vow of obedience.

Thank you, Sister.  My friend understands that following the advice of the VD is important and meshes with practicing obedience.  It was the idea that they brushed her off that gave her cause for concern.  My friend was fairly new to discernment so wanted more advice about what they asked her to do and that's when she got the message that the VD didn't think she was listening.  All in all, it's sounds like an error in miscommunication.  Hopefully, since she's had more time to work on herself, the new VD will give her a clean slate at discernment with their community.  :)