An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sample Rule Of Life For Cv Or Hermits?

oremus1

Credo in Deum

Unfortunately, I have been unable to find one myself.  Here is a link with some great information about diocesan hermits: http://www.diocese-of-sioux-falls.org/Vocations/Content.aspx?id=268&office=Vocations

I do not believe you are going to find a standard rule, since it looks like the rule can vary depending on the individual and what that persons Bishop allows.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to find one myself.  Here is a link with some great information about diocesan hermits: http://www.diocese-of-sioux-falls.org/Vocations/Content.aspx?id=268&office=Vocations

I do not believe you are going to find a standard rule, since it looks like the rule can vary depending on the individual and what that persons Bishop allows.

Thanks. I agree the hermits horarium etc will vary.

But most people say a CV should not have a rule of life. yet Pope Emritus Benedict says it is essential

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/speeches/2008/may/documents/hf_ben-xvi_spe_20080515_ordo-virginum_en.html

i have no ideas what it would contain since she is not committing to any particular spirituality, apostolate or horarium

Credo in Deum

From what I have read on that same site for CV's is they do not have a rule.

" If the consecrated virgin is one “living in the world”, she has no superior (since she is not bound by a vow of obedience), but follows the directives of her bishop in how her vocation is to be lived out."

http://www.diocese-of-sioux-falls.org/Vocations/Content.aspx?id=269&office=Vocations

Edit:  One could argue that a rule is beneficial for any vocation.  The devil thrives on chaos. 

Edited by Credo in Deum

From what I have read on that same site for CV's is they do not have a rule.

Edit:  One could argue that a rule is beneficial for any vocation.  The devil thrives on chaos. 

well that source does not cite anything, whereas im pretty sure the Pope's guidance is to be followed!
he does not say it is optinal, he says it is essential.

in my country, most priests barely believe in God, so finding any help with this will be awful.

i just want to see a sample one. in any language.

thanks for your help by the way.

Credo in Deum

well that source does not cite anything, whereas im pretty sure the Pope's guidance is to be followed!
he does not say it is optinal, he says it is essential.

in my country, most priests barely believe in God, so finding any help with this will be awful.

i just want to see a sample one. in any language.

The Pope can stress something as being essential without that something being mandatory.

Q.  Where can I find a sample of a rule of life for consecrated virgins?

A.  Consecrated virgins live “under the direction” of their bishop.  Nevertheless, this direction is more akin to that of married couples being under the care of their pastor than that of religious to their superior.  Consecrated virgins do not profess public vows nor do they live according to a rule of life unless they are also religious, diocesan hermits, or members of secular institutes.  Because consecrated virgins living in the world are not subject by the vow of obedience to their bishop, and are not required to follow a rule of life (any more than married women are required to follow a rule of life), drafting and following a rule of life is completely optional for most consecrated virgins.  Actually, in most instances, it would be imprudent to have a rule of life, for the virgin living in the world lives in the world with all the variables and cares that implies.  The advice of a spiritual director should be followed if a virgin is considering adopting a rule of life.

http://doihaveavocation.com/blog/archives/136

Also:

An essential "rule of life" defines the commitment that each one of you assumes, with the Bishop's consent, at both the spiritual and existential levels. These are personal journeys. There are among you different approaches and different ways of living the gift of consecrated virginity and this becomes much more obvious in the course of an international meeting such as this, which has gathered you together during these days. I urge you to go beyond external appearances, experiencing the mystery of God's tenderness which each one of you bears in herself and recognizing one another as sisters, even in your diversity.

It sounds like the Holy Father, is asking CV's to work with their Bishops on creating a rule for themselves.  One that will work for them and help them in their journey towards holiness and unity with Christ. 

thanks for your help by the way.

You're welcome. :)

Edited by Credo in Deum

A Sister from the Diocese of La Crosse, WI published a book for would-be hermits explaining about the hermit life & what should or might go into a Plan of Life & how to seek a diocesan Bishop's approval, etc.  It was quite detailed, in a binder & not expensive. Sister, i think, was the Diocesan Director of Vocations at the time & was a Franciscan Sister of

Perpetual Adoration....(not contemplatives & not to be confused w/any other communities of similar names in other areas). If you cannot locate the book online, you might try contacting her religious community. I do not remember Sister's name, sorry...

Mary's Margaret

Grilaicus' Rule for Solitaries is good and available in multiple places online.

Heading of chapter 51:   They Should Shave at Certain Times, so as Not to Be Hairy

:think: ...didn't even think to include that one in mine 

Does anyone have one I can look at?

There are a few diocese based hermits online - check out Stillsong Hermitage where the sister outlines about making a rule.  She's a great resource. http://notesfromstillsong.blogspot.co.uk/2011/01/writing-rule-of-life-more-questions.html

Also, in general, here are some Hermit links. The first is an order and the second is a laura of hermits. They may give you some ideas from their expression of the spirit

Camaldolese Hermits of Monte Corona: http://camaldolese.org/pdfs/constitution.pdf

Bethlehem Hermits:  http://www.bethlehemhermits.org/the-plan-of-life/prologue.html

Sponsa-Christi

Regarding Pope Benedict’s address to consecrated virgins…this was a pastoral address, and not a legislative document. So even though he calls a rule of life “essential,” this doesn’t therefore mean that a rule of life properly so-called is actually an official, canonical requirement. Also, in both the English and in the original Italian, the phrase “rule of life” is in scare quotes—which leads me to think that Benedict XVI wasn’t speaking about a rule of life in the literal technical sense, but was perhaps instead using the term in a more inclusive sense which could encompass things like a basic intention or general plan for how a CV would life out her consecrated life.

My own opinion on this is that having a literal “Rule of Life” should not be a requirement for CVs, since I think that life lived according to a rule (as in, having adherence to a Rule as a central part of your spirituality) is something uniquely proper to religious life.

However, I do think that a life of consecrated virginity should have at least some structure to it. That is, I think a consecrated virgin does need to have some real clarity—or in the case of debatable issues, some personal convictions—as to what the basic obligations of her state in life are.

I don’t think you can live a truly consecrated life if your only “duties” are vague, abstract principles (as important as such principles may be!) E.g., I don’t think it’s enough to say: “My only duty is to live in a union of spousal love with Christ!” To a certain extent, you have to spell out what that will mean for you concretely. You have to ask yourself: How will this new spousal relationship practically affect the way I spend my time? Or how I pray? Or how I make small daily decisions? Or which things I prioritize in making major life decisions?

To this end, I think that some CVs might find it helpful to write a strictly personal “rule” for themselves, and some bishops reasonably ask for an aspiring CV to propose in writing the general outlines of how she sees herself living out her consecrated life. But this is different from being required to have a Rule of Life per se.

Sponsa Christi, would you be willing to share a couple of concrete examples from your own life? Nothing too personal - but it seems handy dandy to have an actual CV in on the conversation!

Sponsa-Christi

Sponsa Christi, would you be willing to share a couple of concrete examples from your own life? Nothing too personal - but it seems handy dandy to have an actual CV in on the conversation!

Sure, Marigold! I’ll give it a try…

I guess I personally tend to see the “structure” of my life more in terms of fulfilling some main general duties. So speaking for myself, I’ve never found writing down my own specific “rule” to be very helpful (even while I can appreciate how this practice could be useful for other CVs).

Since I don’t live in a monastic community, I know that I do need a certain degree of flexibility. But at the same time, I’ve always taken care to observe some non-negotiable.

To give you once major concrete example: After years of study and prayer, I’ve come to believe very strongly that consecrated virgins are ordinarily called to dedicate their lives to direct service of the Church.

***(And to interrupt my thought for a disclaimer: this is me sharing my own personal experience of my good-faith efforts to live out my consecrated life as fully as I can. So this is NOT meant to be a negative judgment on other consecrated virgins who may have honestly come to different conclusions on this or any other point. Even when we disagree, I have a lot of respect for my sister CVs.)***

When you decide that direct service to the Church is a main priority in your consecrated life, then you make your major life decisions around this choice. For instance, “How can I best serve the Church?” is the main question you ask yourself when you are choosing the sort of education you pursue—which later in turn affects the sort of jobs you would be qualified to apply for, and the actual career you undertake. Then later, when you are in a life situation that is primarily ordered towards the service of the Church (like working in a parish, studying theology or canon law, etc.), this determines a lot of what the smaller details of your day-to-day life will be like.

So for me, my revolve to dedicate my life to serving the Church was what made me decide to study philosophy as an undergraduate, because that was the best foundation for a later Master’s degree in theology. That theology M.A. then qualified me to work as a DRE and to write a catechetical textbook, and was also the prerequisite for my later canon law studies.

Now obviously, not every CV will be called to do this exact same course of study, and there are lots of ways to dedicate your life to serving the Church which don’t require any academic degrees. But I’m just sharing this piece of my story to illustrate how my understanding of a general duty impacted my life in a concrete way.

Another example for me is a CV’s obligation to pray. Because the Church “vehemently exhorts” CVs to recite the Liturgy of the Hours, I feel that as a CV I have a moral obligation to pray the Divine Office. And so, every day I pray the Office of Readings, Lauds, one of the daytime Hours, Vespers, and Compline. Even if we don’t consider times of private prayer, between just the Office and daily Mass I already wind up pausing for prayer several times during the day. While this isn’t nearly the same thing as the Horarium of a religious community, it still does give a certain structure to my prayer life.

I hope this is helpful?