An Old School Catholic Message Board

Horarium And Formation Carmel Jmj

Want2beChrist'sBride

Want2beChrist'sBride

I was just wondering if anyone knows what the daily schedule is (roughly) of the Carmelites of JMJ that have three houses in NE, PA and CA? Also does anyone know their stages of formation and duration?

God Bless

Bernadette

inperpetuity

Hi Bernadette, I'll tell you what I know. They rise at 4:30, say Lauds at 5 and then have an hour of mental prayer. The main meal is around 11 and then there are two recreations, one at 12 and one at 7pm.  Vespers is at 4:40 followed by another hour of mental prayer then supper.  Matins are said at 9:15. Lights are out at 10:30.   I think the mass times vary from place to place and I'm not sure what they are.  Also, postulancy 1 year, novitiate 2 years then temporary vows for 3 years, normally.  Hope this helps. :)

Edited by inperpetuity

Want2beChrist'sBride

thank you very much. I really appreciate this. It is hard living on the other side of the world and trying to find out about orders.

inperpetuity

Your welcome! You can also write to them and they would tell you more about their particular monastery and answer any other questions you may have.

graciandelamadrededios

thank you very much. I really appreciate this. It is hard living on the other side of the world and trying to find out about orders.

Where are you from?

Chiquitunga

Also, postulancy 1 year, novitiate 2 years then temporary vows for 3 years, normally.  Hope this helps. :)

this booklet has postulancy as 6 months - a year, and the novitiate as 1 - 2 years, so it seems to depend on each one and the timing that is best for the community probably, https://picasaweb.google.com/112954809546652959393/CarmelOfJesusMaryJosephValparaisoNE#5051544199422801314

graciandelamadrededios

Hi Bernadette, I'll tell you what I know. They rise at 4:30, say Lauds at 5 and then have an hour of mental prayer. The main meal is around 11 and then there are two recreations, one at 12 and one at 7pm.  Vespers is at 4:40 followed by another hour of mental prayer then supper.  Matins are said at 9:15. Lights are out at 10:30.   I think the mass times vary from place to place and I'm not sure what they are.  Also, postulancy 1 year, novitiate 2 years then temporary vows for 3 years, normally.  Hope this helps. :)

The Discalced Carmelite Nuns in Valparaiso, NE follows the 1990 Constitutions and it is written on this text:

168. The Aspirant, before beginning the novitiate, will spend six months of postulancy under the direction of the Mistress of Novices, to verify that she is suited for the life of Carmel, and to receive an adequate preparation.  During this time she is obliged to observe the law of enclosure.

Chiquitunga, the vocational information booklet is really nice; especially because there is hardly any info about them online.

Thanks for posting the link!