An Old School Catholic Message Board

First Vows Dsmme

das8949

Thank you Sister Mary Catharine. I saw the announcement about Sr. Maria Teresa of the Sacred Heart before this one, so at that point my question was answered.

I have been asked one question and said I would pass it on - does your Monastery (I'm not asking about anybody else for the moment - and I certainly don't expect you to know!) retain the practice of the Sister submitting three possibilities and then finding a surprise in her clothing day, with the caveat that it might NOT be one of the three - or - is there custom you follow regarding names? I think it is so beautiful for women (and men) to receive (or take) a new name in religious life. It really marks the line.

Thank you and I'm sure I can hear the rejoicing out in California!

Rose

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Thank you Sister Mary Catharine. I saw the announcement about Sr. Maria Teresa of the Sacred Heart before this one, so at that point my question was answered.

I have been asked one question and said I would pass it on - does your Monastery (I'm not asking about anybody else for the moment - and I certainly don't expect you to know!) retain the practice of the Sister submitting three possibilities and then finding a surprise in her clothing day, with the caveat that it might NOT be one of the three - or - is there custom you follow regarding names? I think it is so beautiful for women (and men) to receive (or take) a new name in religious life. It really marks the line.

Thank you and I'm sure I can hear the rejoicing out in California!

Rose

No, we don't submit 3 names. We used to many, many years ago. Now, once a postulant is accepted for novitiate she talks to the novice mistress and if the novice mistress and prioress decide if she may receive the name she asks for. There is a story of Sr. Mary Antoninus of the Trinity who was told to write down FIVE choices. She picked "of the Trinity" for her title for each name but not Antoninus. She really wanted Gertrude, her baptismal name. She used to say to us, "Why did they even ask me!" :cry: