An Old School Catholic Message Board

Seamstress Needs Help Finding Habit Patterns

Kathleen777

Kathleen777

I am sewing for a number of religious communities and need help in finding habits (tunic and veils, caps, wimples, etc.) patterns. I have scoured the internet with little help so I thought that I would come to my friends here at Phatmass! Please write back here or write to my email: kathleenmarshall777@yahoo.com   Thank you so much! May God reward you!

AccountDeleted

I think it depends on what kind of habits you are talking about. there are some online resources for the more modern types but if you are talking full traditional, then you need to discuss which Order you are looking at. Carmelites wear a different habit than Dominicans or Franciscans, Benedictines  etc.

I once contacted a Carmelite community and asked them for a pattern for their habit and they said that they didn't use a pattern but they would make me one based on an existing habit, so they did, out of newspaper! And they sent this to me. It was a very time and labor intensive act on their part for which I was very grateful at the time, but since it took up so much of their time, I would never ask this of a community again. You could however, try asking different communities if they already have an existing pattern that they might either lend you, or if they have a spare one, give to you.

I just typed in google the following words:   pattern nun habit and got a page full of hits, including patterns for a habit costume. I hope this helps, but use google - they are out there!

Etsy pattern for nun costume

or

http://shanhar.com/nun-habit-patterns/

and a site for habits for sisters

We are a manufacturer of attire for women religious. We offer caps, mesh frames, veils, and collars.  Please see our catalog or visit our Online Store to see our standard items.  

http://stores.wrightscatalog.com/  

We acquired patterns from the Emmet A. Fitzgerald Company of Ardmore, Pennsylvania.  We continue their legacy of offering "Modern Accessories for the Religious Communities Throughout the World".   

Blessed&Grateful

Egeria, fascinating read. I never knew so much "technique" went into habits. The comment about clorox bottles made me chuckle and think "that's why some of my grade school nuns were so grumpy!"

It would help those of us who are visual learners to actually see these different kinds of veils being made! Like on you tube...

My Mom sewed habits and vestments for years. She started with an old habit, took it carefully apart, and cut a pattern out of butcher paper.

I know this sounds weird, but I feel like I've worn a habit before, almost like it's a subconscious 'body memory'. Has anyone else ever felt this way too?

^ Yes.............

I used to have to remind myself that I had not been dressing in the habit all my life and when I came out of the convent it took me ages - years even, not to keep buying nunny clothing.

Now I wear T's like everyone else!