An Old School Catholic Message Board

Adios, Stupid Dads

PhuturePriest

There was an interesting historical article written a few years back about the dominance of women in the home and the rise of the grill as the man's domain. It seems that from the 1950s there was already a move to making man into a primitive cave-man which just quickly descended after the next wave of feminism.  

Men like outdoor grilling - don't think it has to do with gender warfare or anything else.

I personally love grilling - but that's probably just because I'm a primitive caveman who delights in the scorching of dead animal flesh.

Heck, I don't even shave my legs.

PhuturePriest

Men like outdoor grilling - don't think it has to do with gender warfare or anything else.

I personally love grilling - but that's probably just because I'm a primitive caveman who delights in the scorching of dead animal flesh.

Heck, I don't even shave my legs.

Something we finally have in common.

Nihil Obstat

Well when you think about it, cooking on a grill is an inherently more primitive form of food preparation, especially when you place it next to the modern kitchen and its conveniences. Does it say something about the male psyche that we seem to be drawn to the grill more than the oven? 

PhuturePriest

Well when you think about it, cooking on a grill is an inherently more primitive form of food preparation, especially when you place it next to the modern kitchen and its conveniences. Does it say something about the male psyche that we seem to be drawn to the grill more than the oven? 

Yes. That we're drawn to rugged and manly things.

I think men are more prone to liking things that are more primitive because we like thinking we're above technology; that even though we can use the luxuries of technology, we're still independent from it, and that we're still skilled and masculine enough to be able to live without it.

Nihil Obstat

Yes. That we're drawn to rugged and manly things.

I think men are more prone to liking things that are more primitive because we like thinking we're above technology; that even though we can use the luxuries of technology, we're still independent from it, and that we're still skilled and masculine enough to be able to live without it.

So the caveman brain then.

PhuturePriest

So the caveman brain then.

How else do you explain man's fascination with climbing a mountain with barely any gear and killing animals for food using traps and primitive weapons?