An Old School Catholic Message Board

Double Vow Ceremony Franciscan Sisters Of The Eucharist

Thijs

Great. Prayers for them.

(but I cannot like that head gear...)

Seconded on both counts! I try not to focus on habits, but that veil always makes me think in horror, "I'd have to take way more care with my hairstyle than I do now!" :P My hair is like some wild thicket or that bloodthirsty many-tentacled talking plant in Little Shop of Horrors, and it would probably eat that hat thing they wear the second I put it on my head.

It's always lovely to see people blossoming in their vocations, though, no matter what they have on their heads.

Edited by beatitude

Blessed&Grateful

Great. Prayers for them.

Same, I have tried and tried but the headgear reminds me too much of a pillbox hat.

OnlySunshine

Great. Prayers for them.

Sadly, I cannot get around it either.  They are a beautiful community but I have wavy, frizzy hair that would look atrocious with a pillbox veil.  I'd always be messing with it.  I'd rather have a veil that encompasses my head rather than sitting on top.

Is this the community that had it designed by Gucci or somesuch?

Still, it is not the habit that counts and I praise God they get vocations - in spite of the headgear! :hehe2:

Okay, if that habit was designed by Gucci that cinches it for me that Gucci (and most other chi chi designers) are not worth their salt - nor the beaucoup bucks one would need to shell out to purchase their products :)

First of all, congratulations to the Sisters who made vows!

I also agree about the habits.... It certainly is plain enough (ok, ugly enough) to satisfy any Franciscan's desire for something penitential and plain... but that veil.... yeah.   

I don't think Gucci designed the FSE habit -- I hope not! -- I think what you are remembering is that Dior designed the modified Daughter of Charity habit when they were asked to modify it... and did an excellent job -- this is what he came up with (a sister wearing the 1962 modified habit, and another in the traditional cornette):

habit-change-1964-mcphee-priller.jpg?w=2

http://dcarchives.wordpress.com/category/vatican-2/

(The Daughters later modified the headdress again because there were some unexpected problems with the metal inside the one he had designed -- it was creating ear problems for the sisters.  [I went to high school with them].

But the Franciscan Sisters habit... .not as attractive.

I also think it is a good example of how choosing something 'modern' looking rather than timeless can backfire.  They were founded early 1970's -- and that the sisters who chose it chose a 'modern' headdress to match the 'modern expression of the Franciscan Charism' that they were envisioning... (and they had probably really been into fashion in the 1960's when they were younger... and Jackie Kennedy liked pillbox hats).  So they chose a plain Franciscan robe, and added the pillbox and a veil.   It may have looked OK at first.  The problem is that 50-60 years later.... now it looks.... yeah. 

foundresses.jpg

I think they are a wonderful community of sisters!  But one would REALLY need a vocation to be willing to wear that!

In the 1970's I felt the same way about the habits of the Sisters of Social Service and Parish Home Visitors -- at the time they were founded, in the 1920's and 1930's, I am sure those habits looked 'modern' -- but by 1960's and 1970's they just looked old-fashioned and ugly.   Most of the other sisters were still wearing what we would think of as 'traditional habits'.   Soon none of them would be wearing any of them... But... well... now they would look like... modified habits?

Sisters of Social Service habit:

12_10_18_SSS_habit_01.jpg

http://wdtprs.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/12_10_18_SSS_habit_01.jpg

​Foundress, Parish Visitors of Mary Immaculate

116.jpg

http://www.parishvisitorsisters.org/our-foundress

Edited by AnneLine

As usual AL you have the gen!

I agree with you they are...........penitential. :hehe2:  :saint2:

Why is it I can't help but think of widows when I see them? Maybe its the Kennedy connection.

I agree they are a lovely community though. Praise God I am long past discerning, I would have to feel His foot in my....er derriere to induce me to go there. 

veritasluxmea

Am I the only one who is ok with it? It's not that great, but it's not terrible. It doesn't look like it's uncomfortable or gets in the way. I don't like it as much as I like the Dominican or Sisters of Life veils, but it doesn't look that bad. 

To me, it's an absolute miracle they stay on their heads.  I might like it better if the veil material wasn't translucent. They have had steady vocations over the years, and I'm glad to see it.

It's a veil, it's a habit, they are good sisters.  Enough for me.

But... I just really don't like the look.   Looks better on the sisters with darker hair....but again, it's not too impractical.  But I know it would never stay on my fur.... even a mantilla won't stay on for me, even with about 8 bobby pins and a comb.  I know from experience...

sfmw-vows01.jpg

I think it's the translucence that gets to me too. If it were thicker it would look more like a veil attached to a base.

Yes, you are right AL, it is not the most important thing. Most important is that they are having vocations and being a witness.

(and doing penance wearing that thing! :hehe2: )

I think the whole habit is hideous. I've said it before, I like a habit and would only enter a community that wears one because I like the witness, the practicality and the tradition. The FSE habit is just ugly from top to bottom. I would need to fuss too much with my hair for this veil. Also, my hair is very straight and fine and the headpiece would constantly slide off.. Maybe I would have to staple it on!! There are many wonderful communities that I have looked at. The one I will be entering has a very simple habit with the "everybody veil."

I think it's the translucence that gets to me too. If it were thicker it would look more like a veil attached to a base.

The thing is that if it were thicker, it would be heavier and therefore more difficult to keep on. It's amazing the difference that the thickness of fabric makes in trying to keep modified-type veils on one's head. And I imagine that these would be even worse. I really don't see the point of it and, especially given the simplicity of their habit, wonder why they don't just abandon it entirely.