An Old School Catholic Message Board

Trivia/research Challenge From The Life Of St. Dominic

Gabriela

+ Hello all,

A friend of mine will be ordained soon. He has, for many years, been looking for a story from the life of St. Dominic, referred to in passing by St. Louis de Montfort. In the story, St. Dominic is exorcising a person, and as he casts the demon out, he commands it to confess the power of the rosary. The demon does, and apparently what it says is really, really moving. But St. Louis de Montfort doesn't report what the demon says, because, he claims, it's easy to find in all the many accounts of the life of St. Dominic.

But apparently, it is not so easy to find. As I said, my friend has looked for years, and I've looked myself, and neither of us knows where to find it. If anyone could refer me to it so that I can give it to my friend as an ordination gift, I would be enormously grateful, and I'm sure that he would, too!

In Him,

curiousing

Catherine Therese

I don't know from where this is sourced because its clearly not intended to be of academic historical weight, but rather more a hagiographical account, but I did stumble across this for what its worth: http://www.how-to-pray-the-rosary-everyday.com/demontfort.html

The same words of the demons are repeated here (scroll down most of the way): http://www.michaeljournal.org/secretrosary.htm

Ancilla Domini

Then listen well you Christians; the Mother of Jesus Christ is all powerful and she can save her servants from falling into hell. She is the Sun which destroys the darkness of our wiles and subtlety. It is she who uncovers our hidden plots, breaks our snares and makes our temptations useless and ineffectual.

We have to say, however reluctantly, that not a single soul who has really persevered in her service has ever been damned with us; one single sigh that she offers to the Blessed Trinity is worth far more than all the prayers, desires and aspirations of all the saints.

We fear her more than all the other saints in heaven together and we have no success with her faithful servants. Many Christians who call upon her when they are at the hour of death and who really ought to be damned according to our ordinary standards are saved by her intercession.

Oh if only that Mary (it is thus in their fury that they called her) had not pitted her strength against ours and had not upset our plans, we should have conquered the Church and should have destroyed it long before this; and we would have seen to it that all the Orders in the Church fell into error and disorder.

Now that we are forced to speak we must also tell you this: nobody who perseveres in saying the Rosary will be damned, because she obtains for her servants the grace of true contrition for their sins and by means of this they obtain God's forgiveness and mercy.

Edited by Ancilla Domini

I don't know from where this is sourced because its clearly not intended to be of academic historical weight, but rather more a hagiographical account, but I did stumble across this for what its worth: http://www.how-to-pray-the-rosary-everyday.com/demontfort.html

The same words of the demons are repeated here (scroll down most of the way): http://www.michaeljournal.org/secretrosary.htm

Then listen well you Christians; the Mother of Jesus Christ is all powerful and she can save her servants from falling into hell. She is the Sun which destroys the darkness of our wiles and subtlety. It is she who uncovers our hidden plots, breaks our snares and makes our temptations useless and ineffectual.

We have to say, however reluctantly, that not a single soul who has really persevered in her service has ever been damned with us; one single sigh that she offers to the Blessed Trinity is worth far more than all the prayers, desires and aspirations of all the saints.

We fear her more than all the other saints in heaven together and we have no success with her faithful servants. Many Christians who call upon her when they are at the hour of death and who really ought to be damned according to our ordinary standards are saved by her intercession.

Oh if only that Mary (it is thus in their fury that they called her) had not pitted her strength against ours and had not upset our plans, we should have conquered the Church and should have destroyed it long before this; and we would have seen to it that all the Orders in the Church fell into error and disorder.

Now that we are forced to speak we must also tell you this: nobody who perseveres in saying the Rosary will be damned, because she obtains for her servants the grace of true contrition for their sins and by means of this they obtain God's forgiveness and mercy.

Thanks, everyone! :)

CT and Ancilla: I also found these, but they're from the book by St. Louis de Montfort. Does anyone know where this account can be found in one of the many Lives of St. Dominic? Apparently there's a more extensive version of the story there.