An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religious Names & Titles

brandelynmarie

The lack of necessity is what I was trying to say, not a judgment of "good" or "bad"--thanks for those who helped to clarify.  While I know a few contemplative communities that retain their baptismal names, most of those I'm familiar with who do are active congregations. There is also an appreciation of the ongoing connection to family.... Many communities after Vatican II allowed members to return to their baptismal names (some sisters did, others did not). 

petitpèlerin

When my brother was in the Community of St. John, he could submit up to 3 names to his superiors and they would choose but had to get a final approval from the superiors in France.  He submitted names and by a freak occurrence, his superiors were never able to talk with the superiors in France and so were not able to get approval for any of the names he selected. So he was given a name by his superiors and was very, very happy with it.  So sometimes God has other plans for such things.   

Neat. I heard another story of a brother of Saint John who didn't receive any of the three names he submitted, he received the one that he didn't even dare put on his list: his own name that his parents had given him, that they had sought God's inspiration in choosing for him so long ago and thus had great meaning to them and to him. The novice master was stumped what to name him - I guess none of the names were standing out - so he went to his superior, who saw the list of names the novice had submitted, and rejected them, saying "his name is ____", as if it were the only name that could possibly fit him. God is good!

The apostolic sisters use a different method than the brothers: the novice and her novice mistress each pray to the Holy Spirit about it and discern/decide the new name together, and on the day of her investiture there's no surprise like there is for the brothers.

I'm not sure what the contemplative sisters do. And I'm entering soon. I think I know exactly what name is right for me, but I don't even know what their process is. I'm sure it will all work out exactly the way God wants it.

Edited by petitpèlerin

In the Carmelite Monastery which I'm applying to, Rev. Mother lets you choose three names,then she choses one of the three for you. So it's a complete surprise! :)

Dominicans of Mary M.O.T.E submit three names.  They do pray and ponder it for a long time and may get one that is not on their list.  The names our daughter submitted were not ones that were on her radar before she started praying and certainly not before she entered.  She loves the name she was given.

At the Carmel of JMJ the Mother Superior tells the postulant her religious name when she is told the date when she will receive the habit.  Our other daughter was given the name of the saint that she had developed a tremendous devotion to during her postulancy.  She tried to hide her great love for this saint so that she wouldn't influence Mother into giving her the name.  She never mentioned her and only read the one book she had been given on her life.  Of course she is thrilled with the name.  When she heard the title it immediately resonated with her and seemed like just the title she should have. 

Neat. I heard another story of a brother of Saint John who didn't receive any of the three names he submitted, he received the one that he didn't even dare put on his list: his own name that his parents had given him, that they had sought God's inspiration in choosing for him so long ago and thus had great meaning to them and to him. The novice master was stumped what to name him - I guess none of the names were standing out - so he went to his superior, who saw the list of names the novice had submitted, and rejected them, saying "his name is ____", as if it were the only name that could possibly fit him. God is good!

The apostolic sisters use a different method than the brothers: the novice and her novice mistress each pray to the Holy Spirit about it and discern/decide the new name together, and on the day of her investiture there's no surprise like there is for the brothers.

I'm not sure what the contemplative sisters do. And I'm entering soon. I think I know exactly what name is right for me, but I don't even know what their process is. I'm sure it will all work out exactly the way God wants it.

I'm not so sure what the contemplative sisters do either.  However, I have a friend who was with them for long enough to receive a new name so I will try to ask her if I happen to see her. 

That is an awesome story about the Brother who got the name he had originally been given by his parents.  Thank you for sharing that.  My brother did not dare to put the name he was given on the list either...he was given the name John!  Nothing added to it at all!  Not John _______ or John of the _________...just John.  We couldn't believe it!  For a brother of St. John who really took the charism seriously and longed to be John in the Church...to actually be given that name?!  It was both a shock and a great grace. 

It was really special and pretty amazing how that worked out.  He had chosen names and John wasn't one of them.  There was one name he even was pretty sure he would get.  The novice master tried to get approval and never was able to connect with the Superiors.  So instead he was given the name John.  And in that name he found his personal vocation.  It was so obvious in that moment that God clearly wanted something in particular for him and helped make that happen. 

So prayerfully choose your names and then trust because God just might decide to surprise you anyways! 

A special part (though small) of becoming a Nun/Sister to me, is getting your special Nun/Sister name!!! I don't want to be called by my "Given" name!! Although.. I am certainly not fond of the name "Agnes" or "Gertrude" either!! "Sister Penny" doesn't quite fit the religious nun/sister image either...(sorry.. I'm old school)

Credo in Deum

A special part (though small) of becoming a Nun/Sister to me, is getting your special Nun/Sister name!!! I don't want to be called by my "Given" name!! Although.. I am certainly not fond of the name "Agnes" or "Gertrude" either!! "Sister Penny" doesn't quite fit the religious nun/sister image either...(sorry.. I'm old school)

I've always felt the same way. IMO the new name helps with the understanding that your old life has ended and your new life has begun.

Credo in Deum

Yes I've heard this. I was given a small prayer-card/booklet on the priesthood from my mother and I remember a saint saying that at the time of ordination a priest receives a flood of graces similar to baptism. This is because their new life opens them up to certain graces only someone in their vocation can receive.

puellapaschalis

Yes I've heard this. I was given a small prayer-card/booklet on the priesthood from my mother and I remember a saint saying that at the time of ordination a priest receives a flood of graces similar to baptism. This is because their new life opens them up to certain graces only someone in their vocation can receive.

But - to be well-meaningly contrary - ordination is a significantly different thing to religious profession, and this is important. Ordination, being a sacrament, obeys the definition of 'sacrament' and brings those graces with it.

I'm not saying that religious profession doesn't (though I've heard it described as a 'deepening' of one's Baptism), but there's a real difference between the two.

AveMariaPurissima

I've also heard that profession is akin to a second baptism...had anyone else heard of this?

I've heard that too, and also that it was piously believed that at profession, all one's sins were forgiven.

"The notion of the monastic tonsure has a long history. It appears even in ancient Egyptian monasticism (i.e, Christian monasticism of the first centuries). It is found even in the medieval Roman Catholic church, where two post-baptism events were considered to provide the complete forgiveness of sins: the monastic tonsure and a pilgrimage to Jerusalem..."

Read more here. Take it with a grain of salt, but an interesting read.

brandelynmarie

But - to be well-meaningly contrary - ordination is a significantly different thing to religious profession, and this is important. Ordination, being a sacrament, obeys the definition of 'sacrament' and brings those graces with it.

I'm not saying that religious profession doesn't (though I've heard it described as a 'deepening' of one's Baptism), but there's a real difference between the two.

I like that..."deepening" of one's baptism...& yes, I do agree, an ordination is intrinsically different from religious profession. ...

I used to be bummed that religious profession wasn't a sacrament...but then I realized profession is not a sign but an actuality! Hmmm...maybe someone could help me put this into words in a better way? :blush:

puellapaschalis

I used to be bummed that religious profession wasn't a sacrament...but then I realized profession is not a sign but an actuality! Hmmm...maybe someone could help me put this into words in a better way? :blush:

Have we talked about eschatological portents yet?

In professing the evangelical counsels (in one way or another - UP THE OSB!) religious forsake the goods of this world in order to begin early on the blessed life of the next.