An Old School Catholic Message Board

Experiences In Sweden?

CrossCuT

Ash Wednesday

Unless you are Swedish, you may not be able to immigrate there.  The nordic countries have a nortiously long list for immigration.

If someone is an EU citizen they and their families can live there. That said, if they are sponsoring a non-EEA (European Economic Area) spouse or family member, they need to have a good enough job there and be able to document that they can support their fiance/spouse until they learn the language and find work.

If someone is American they can't just pick up and live there, generally, no. Unless there is independent wealth or a job transfer involved. Many non Europeans come on asylum but that generally does not apply to Americans.

Many Americans that have moved to Sweden with their spouses and partners have often had to change careers or take on a job that wasn't in their original career of choice. It can also take a while, years even, before you can find your first job. Another little thing is that though Swedes pride themselves in being a very tolerant and progressive society, there is an undercurrent of backlash against some of the immigrants that have come there. And bluntly put, you're going to have an easier time if you're blonde and white than you are a person of color.

Swedes generally are polite, though somewhat reserved until you get some booze in them. I've met a number that have a certain love for "Americana" things.

The natural beauty and quality of life is outstanding, though. I love their food and when we visit his parents I love taking the daily walks by the sea in the warmer months. I grew up in the Pacific Northwest so when I first visited Sweden I felt like I was back at home in a lot of respects. My mother's side of the family has a lot of Scandinavian heritage so I could see why many Swedes and Norwegians moved to Washington state.

You can expect to get taxed out the butt for a lot of the perks, though. 

As I said, my husband and I may end up moving to Sweden (and those of you that know me in outside-Phatmass life... SHHHHh!!!!! Our secret!), and will likely will retire there or Norway. A lot of it depends on what kind of a job my husband will be able to get. I will have some income from my freelance work but I think it will be expected that I will probably want to get a second job to supplement my art income because it's very up and down in freelance. 

So that's the long and short of it. Crosscut, it's very difficult, but it can be done. I would gladly have an akvavit (booze) and toast "skål!" with you should we both end up there.

I will say that it's not a huge leap for me because I have lived in England for several years. The downside of living overseas is things like not being able to see my niece and nephews grow up, or not being able to attend things like weddings or to talk to family as often. It weighs heavily on my heart every day. But then again as an artist being in foreign places is also what makes me tick. I guess it's a paradox I live in. 

ithinkjesusiscool

Crosscut, is your fiance Swedish or a European citizen? 

My husband is Polish born of Swedish citizenship. We are there all the time and may end up moving there to be closer to his parents. I speak basic Swedish because that was easier to learn than Polish. 

In fact we will be in Sweden from Sunday until early September.

SÃ¥ du talar lite svenska?

OnlySunshine

Listen to Ace of Base!  I totally forgot they were a Swedish pop group.  I used to listen to them when I was in 6th grade.  :hehe2:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNPjeIamsck[/media]

ithinkjesusiscool

My fiance and I are seriously considering moving to Sweden after we are married. Has anyone had living experience there?

Ive been doing lots of research about it but I was wondering if anyone had some first hand experience...what the culture is like, what the people are like, job market, interacting when you mostly only speak english...etc etc!

I plan to take a swedish language class for immigrants if we do actually move. 

Experiences? Yes,I live there and have done so my whole life! 

What exactly do you want to know?

Ash Wednesday

SÃ¥ du talar lite svenska?

Javisst!! Lite grann! Kanske kan du hjälpa mig öva mer ofta. Jag måsta skriva och tala oftare! Min mans föräldrar can inte Engelska så var jag tvungen att lära mig Svenska. :)

Men faktiskt älsker jag Sverige mycket!

Vi kanske kommer att flyta till Göteborg men ska vi ser hur det går!

ithinkjesusiscool

Here's the video if you can't see it on his website:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZX77XG4Uxs[/media]

Interesting video but...it doesn't actually tell you anything how it would be to live in Stockholm! It's more like a tourist video...and he didn't really mention too much of the suburban areas.      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_areas_in_Sweden

ithinkjesusiscool

Javisst!! Lite grann! Kanske kan du hjälpa mig öva mer ofta. Jag måsta skriva och tala oftare! Min mans föräldrar can inte Engelska så var jag tvungen att lära mig Svenska. :)

Men faktiskt älsker jag Sverige mycket!

Vi kanske kommer att flyta till Göteborg men ska vi ser hur det går!

Din svenska verkar ändå ganska okej. Du har t.ex. lite problem med ordföljden men jag förstår vad du skriver..

Ash Wednesday

Din svenska verkar ändå ganska okej. Du har t.ex. lite problem med ordföljden men jag förstår vad du skriver..

Ja, tror jag att om jag stanna i Sverige längre kommer jag att blir flytande. Jag är duktig med språk och blir det mycket bra när jag har varit i Sverige flera veckor men efter jag resa tillbaka till England glömmer mycket.... :(

ithinkjesusiscool

Stockholmare...

men min man talar med en Göteborska dialekt

GOA GUBBAR :D

like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8XHvnf-eBc

Edited by ithinkjesusiscool

Ash Wednesday

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA

jag har skickat den till min man, kommer han att skratta mycket  :hehe:

Nihil Obstat

Nihil has been alarmingly absent from the world of sane people.

At least Orange Caramel released their new video this week. Very good one too. With f(x) having recently imploded, I think Orange Caramel must be my current favourite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqSF_9Zf0n4

wat is that

The current state of my mind.