An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hypo: You Are Gay

God the Father

IcePrincessKRS

I am not that annoyed with you because you did not waltz into my thread with a supercilious tone and your first post could be construed as an attempt at humor which I will always support. That said, if there is something that disturbs you about the (not absurd, very conceivable in this century) hypothetical situation (which is not truly accurately described as a "question") you retain the option to abstain entirely from the discussion. hth

"Question" was the wrong term to use. Still, you managed to get my reaction to the hypothetical situation after all, so I guess you win two internet points.

PhuturePriest

The two are incommensurable. Deafness is a lack of a natural sense. Homosexuality is not a lack. 

It's certainly not a lack in amazing fashion sense, at any rate.

God the Father

Edited by Moderator: Personal Attack

Deus te Amat this is Golf Tango Foxtrot be advised I will always always always defend posters in my thread from individuals like franciscanheart who wish to assert that everyone "hates us" because we are having an intellectual discourse. If someone wants to show up in my thread and belittle the people discussing herein, they will be shown the door every single time.

Also, if you define a suggestion that someone who demonstrates rhetorical "room for improvement" push their mental abilities by preparing for and scoring highly on a standardized reasoning test as a "personal attack," I would respond by recommending you evaluate your own cerebral performance and determine a few methods by which you might achieve a level intelligence that does not, frankly, embarrass you.

Please refrain in the future from "moderating" in my threads; I will take care of that without resorting to censorship of reasonable expressions that are not obscene. If you insist on continuing to befoul my discussion with your presence, please do so by describing your reaction to the scenario posited in the original post.Thxx!

Please refrain in the future from "moderating" in my threads

When I was a mod, this would have been invitation for an incredible amount of unnecessary editing.

Deus te Amat this is Golf Tango Foxtrot be advised I will always always always defend posters in my thread from individuals like franciscanheart who wish to assert that everyone "hates us" because we are having an intellectual discourse. If someone wants to show up in my thread and belittle the people discussing herein, they will be shown the door every single time.

Also, if you define a suggestion that someone who demonstrates rhetorical "room for improvement" push their mental abilities by preparing for and scoring highly on a standardized reasoning test as a "personal attack," I would respond by recommending you evaluate your own cerebral performance and determine a few methods by which you might achieve a level intelligence that does not, frankly, embarrass you.

Please refrain in the future from "moderating" in my threads; I will take care of that without resorting to censorship of reasonable expressions that are not obscene. If you insist on continuing to befoul my discussion with your presence, please do so by describing your reaction to the scenario posited in the original post.Thxx!

Hello there, Golf Tango Foxtrot. Be advised that I will always always always moderate threads in accordance to the rules of Phatmass and the Winchester line unless dUSt tells me otherwise.

"Also, if you define a suggestion that someone who demonstrates rhetorical "room for improvement" push their mental abilities by preparing for and scoring highly on a standardized reasoning test as a "personal attack," I would respond by recommending you evaluate your own cerebral performance and determine a few methods by which you might achieve a level intelligence that does not, frankly, embarrass you."

I scored a 790 on the reading section of the GRE. I'd appreciate you not "recommending" that I "evaluate" my "cerebral performance" when you know nothing about me or my cognitive ability.  I read what you wrote. I read every post on PM, actually. I have nothing against the discussion. I moderated the thread because you attacked the mental capacities of several of your sister posters. Your tone, sir, implied contempt.

Frankly, the only reason I have not warned you for attacking a Mediator of Meh is because I fear that doing so would only result in further warnings, and I'd prefer to give you a chance to reevaluate your actions on this phorum. 

One more thing -- I befoul where I please. Meh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbPcSKCqKLc

PhuturePriest

Hypothetical situation:

Your face is gay but the rest of your body is not. A pill comes out that fixes this issue. Do you take it or not?

I don't get it.  first off this whole scenario is basically X-Men The Last Stand for homosexuality instead of mutants (but they wrote that whole movie making mutants a metaphor for homosexuality anyway), so there really shouldn't be any problem with people taking the time to discuss such a scenario... it's a total sci-fi scenario as it is extremely doubtful any such pill could ever exist, but it's still an interesting thought to consider as it brings up a larger issue of whether we should bio-engineer our moral systems of sexuality if that ever becomes possible.  I don't think that we should.

anyway I'm moving this to debate table.  because it's clearly a debate.

I don't get it. first off this whole scenario is basically X-Men The Last Stand for homosexuality instead of mutants (but they wrote that whole movie making mutants a metaphor for homosexuality anyway), so there really shouldn't be any problem with people taking the time to discuss such a scenario...

Perhaps there's a list of gay-related topics approved for phorum discussion and this was not selected for the list.

What if there were other injections that could be taken to control other disordered urges. Like abusing alcohol. In that case the situation has taken the opposite track of homosexuality where it's been medicalized and a lot of emphasis is put on the biological aspect vs the moral part. I mean while we still consider it sinful to get drunk we all recognize the biological predisposition, the brain's reaction to addiction, the reduced culpability of the person with alcoholism.

Wouldn't their choice to take the shot simply be them exercising their morality? Isn't it just another strategy, like praying the rosary daily or changing your lifestyle to avoid temptation? I mean yes you could say the shot is an easy way out. But there's no rule that a Christian must take the hard way out in avoiding sin.

While this is a different situation than homosexuality, it has similarities. After all, being an alcoholic or being gay themselves aren't sinful, just the indulgence of that particular desire is.

veritasluxmea

In X-Men TLS I never got what the issue was. Why not just let the pill be available for people who want it? (And they totally hyped up the anti-mutantism. I bet in real life the amount of people who were that discriminatory would be small. There would probably be some prejudices but I bet the majority of people would be fine with them and others would love/support/hero-worship mutants.) 

Storm and a few others argued that there is nothing wrong with mutation and therefore the idea of a pill being a "fix" is wrong and everyone should just accept themselves as they are, but there are things like cosmetic surgery which change people who don't need a fix either, and there's nothing morally wrong with that, except maybe running the risk of vanity. What about the opposite- if there was a shot/pill that gave you mutant powers, would you take it? Or if one made you gay and you were straight, would you take it? 

So I think the issue comes down to two things: Homosexual attractions are disordered and therefore the shots are a treatment (although treatments should never be forced on anyone) OR Homosexual attractions are neutral and therefore everyone should just accept each other as they are and the shots are like cosmetic surgery. 

Although.... I'm not certain what I would do in the hypo. I can't say I would take a shot that would make me straight. I would work on other issues in my life with therapy and counseling, like I do now, and probably discuss that as well, but I'm not sure I would go for that kind of treatment. I might be comfortable with who I am and not want to change. But is that necessarily a good thing? Maybe I would see it as treatment and go for it. I don't know.

The only change you will experience as a direct result of the shot is that the gender to which you feel a sexual attraction will be reversed.

Your use of the word "reversed" implies that there are only two, opposite genders, rather than a wonderful colorful rainbow of genders.

:|

PhuturePriest

Your use of the word "reversed" implies that there are only two, opposite genders, rather than a wonderful colorful rainbow of genders.

:|

HwIXN3K.jpg