PhuturePriest Posted September 7, 2014 Author Posted September 7, 2014 So then you wouldn't really be giving up much by abstaining from traditional Thanksgiving fare anyway...? I would if all I consumed was bread and water all day.
Vincent Vega Posted September 7, 2014 Posted September 7, 2014 I would if all I consumed was bread and water all day. But it wouldn't of any more "value" than if you were fasting on any other regular day?
PhuturePriest Posted September 7, 2014 Author Posted September 7, 2014 I realized a long time ago that your opinion of food is not to be heeded. You don't like cheese, you don't like butter. You LIKE Hamburger Helper. This thread is utter nonsense. You're wrong, actually. I don't dislike cheese, and I don't dislike butter. Rather, I loathe both of them with a fiery passion. The thread is not based upon my peculiar and perfectly valid taste, it is about the counter-productive aspect of Thanksgiving, which no one has been able to refute as of yet.
Ash Wednesday Posted September 7, 2014 Posted September 7, 2014 I will only love the holidays that are not philosphically at odds with themselves in terms of practice. :| Also, Thanksgiving is boring. Sitting still or even just going back and forth in the kitchen is too inactive for me. I don't make a glutton out of myself. As I said, I don't eat much, and I hate the feeling of being full. But most people eat ridiculous amounts, and it makes no sense in terms of the point of the holiday. Thanksgiving is supposed to make us thankful for what we have and remind us to be grateful. Having regular food in larger quantities doesn't make people more thankful, especially considering Black Friday is the next day. :| But let's not get onto the topic of that horrid bastion of materialism and consumerism. See, the idea that we eat "regular" food on Thanksgiving is a foreign concept to me. I work two jobs and don't have time to prepare or enjoy a home cooked meal of several specialties fully cooked from scratch. For me, holiday meals involve traditional holiday recipes in the family that are only enjoyed a couple of times a year. That is what makes them special. We shouldn't let the folly of others ruin our holidays. Otherwise we probably wouldn't be able to celebrate much of anything. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwOU3bnuU0k
Deus te Amat Posted September 7, 2014 Posted September 7, 2014 There's this funny thing called self control, wherein one determines how much food to put in ones mouth.
PhuturePriest Posted September 7, 2014 Author Posted September 7, 2014 But it wouldn't of any more "value" than if you were fasting on any other regular day? It does if you make it a day of fasting in remembrance of how well you have it in general.
PhuturePriest Posted September 7, 2014 Author Posted September 7, 2014 There's this funny thing called self control, wherein one determines how much food to put in ones mouth. Read the thread, you did not. Disappointed, I am. Surprised, I am not.
Vincent Vega Posted September 7, 2014 Posted September 7, 2014 (edited) The thread is not based upon my peculiar and perfectly valid taste, it is about the counter-productive aspect of Thanksgiving, which no one has been able to refute as of yet. I'll help: "Prayers of thanks and special thanksgiving ceremonies are common among almost all religions after harvests and at other times.[2] The Thanksgiving holiday's history in North America is rooted in English traditions dating from the ProtestantReformation. It also has aspects of a harvest festival, even though the harvest in New England occurs well before the late-November date on which the modern Thanksgiving holiday is celebrated.[2][3] In the English tradition, days of thanksgiving and special thanksgiving religious services became important during theEnglish Reformation in the reign of Henry VIII and in reaction to the large number of religious holidays on the Catholic calendar. Before 1536 there were 95 Church holidays, plus 52 Sundays, when people were required to attend church and forego work and sometimes pay for expensive celebrations. The 1536 reforms reduced the number of Church holidays to 27, but some Puritans wished to completely eliminate all Church holidays, including Christmas and Easter. The holidays were to be replaced by specially called Days of Fasting or Days of Thanksgiving, in response to events that the Puritans viewed as acts of special providence. Unexpected disasters or threats of judgement from on high called for Days of Fasting. Special blessings, viewed as coming from God, called for Days of Thanksgiving." From wikipedia Edited September 7, 2014 by Vincent Vega
Deus te Amat Posted September 7, 2014 Posted September 7, 2014 Read the thread, you did not. Disappointed, I am. Surprised, I am not. Nope. I read it. Read it again to be sure. Still my response.
PhuturePriest Posted September 7, 2014 Author Posted September 7, 2014 I'll help: "Prayers of thanks and special thanksgiving ceremonies are common among almost all religions after harvests and at other times.[2] The Thanksgiving holiday's history in North America is rooted in English traditions dating from the ProtestantReformation. It also has aspects of a harvest festival, even though the harvest in New England occurs well before the late-November date on which the modern Thanksgiving holiday is celebrated.[2][3] In the English tradition, days of thanksgiving and special thanksgiving religious services became important during theEnglish Reformation in the reign of Henry VIII and in reaction to the large number of religious holidays on the Catholic calendar. Before 1536 there were 95 Church holidays, plus 52 Sundays, when people were required to attend church and forego work and sometimes pay for expensive celebrations. The 1536 reforms reduced the number of Church holidays to 27, but some Puritans wished to completely eliminate all Church holidays, including Christmas and Easter. The holidays were to be replaced by specially called Days of Fasting or Days of Thanksgiving, in response to events that the Puritans viewed as acts of special providence. Unexpected disasters or threats of judgement from on high called for Days of Fasting. Special blessings, viewed as coming from God, called for Days of Thanksgiving." From wikipedia When will America learn not to take ideas from protestants? Prohibition and five 8-hour work days all could have been avoided if we didn't allow protestants to influence our lives so much. We could all be taking naps during work time like they do in Spain had the Spanish colonized North America and not the Puritans.
John Ryan Posted September 7, 2014 Posted September 7, 2014 You can make the same arguments about Christmas (celebrating the birth of our Lord in a humble stable in poverty with mass consumerism devoid of any real religious practice), Valentines, and yes, Halloween. Advent is supposed to be the period of fast, whereas Christmas is the celebration feast. Roman Catholicism has a history of celebrating things with feasts. I see no reason why this same logic should not apply to Thanksgiving.
PhuturePriest Posted September 7, 2014 Author Posted September 7, 2014 Nope. I read it. Read it again to be sure. Still my response. Missed the point of the thread, you have.
Deus te Amat Posted September 7, 2014 Posted September 7, 2014 Missed the point of the thread, you have. Meh.
PhuturePriest Posted September 7, 2014 Author Posted September 7, 2014 Advent is supposed to be the period of fast, whereas Christmas is the celebration feast. Roman Catholicism has a history of celebrating things with feasts. I see no reason why this same logic should not apply to Thanksgiving. Where are the days of fasting coming up to Thanksgiving? They are nowhere to be found. Great days of feasts in the Church are always preceded by times of fasting. Not so with Thanksgiving.
IcePrincessKRS Posted September 7, 2014 Posted September 7, 2014 When will America learn not to take ideas from protestants? Prohibition and five 8-hour work days all could have been avoided if we didn't allow protestants to influence our lives so much. We could all be taking naps during work time like they do in Spain had the Spanish colonized North America and not the Puritans. Do you know much about our Founding Fathers?
Vincent Vega Posted September 7, 2014 Posted September 7, 2014 (edited) When will America learn not to take ideas from protestants? Prohibition and five 8-hour work days all could have been avoided if we didn't allow protestants to influence our lives so much. We could all be taking naps during work time like they do in Spain had the Spanish colonized North America and not the Puritans. What a goofy monkey-fighting thing to say. Edited September 7, 2014 by Vincent Vega
Ash Wednesday Posted September 7, 2014 Posted September 7, 2014 What a goofy thing to say. Everything you post I read in Samuel L. Jackson's voice, and I love it.
franciscanheart Posted September 7, 2014 Posted September 7, 2014 This thread is utter nonsense. This.
PhuturePriest Posted September 7, 2014 Author Posted September 7, 2014 Do you know much about our Founding Fathers? They were workaholic protestants who believed in the Protestant Work Ethic (real thing to look up, by the way). Except for the two Catholic ones whom missed out on deciding our work days because they were having their daily nap during the vote.
Vincent Vega Posted September 7, 2014 Posted September 7, 2014 (edited) Everything you post I read in Samuel L. Jackson's voice, and I love it. I revised it. Try now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4t6zNZ-b0A Edited September 7, 2014 by Vincent Vega
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now