An Old School Catholic Message Board

Today Is The Day

PhuturePriest

Haha I made the decision to write mine after mass kneeling at the communion rail in front of a statue of Mary (I believe it was Mary Queen of Hearts). By the end my legs were numb and my hand started to hurt. When I read the paper I laughed cause you can see the frustration levels in the handwriting towards the end of the consecration. Good times.

Wait, you're supposed to write it out? I missed that memo. Sorry FP, I just assumed your mention of writing it out was directed towards having to copy it off the internet because you didn't have a copy. 

Wait, you're supposed to write it out? I missed that memo. Sorry FP, I just assumed your mention of writing it out was directed towards having to copy it off the internet because you didn't have a copy. 

I will have find my consecration book.  In the one I have it says you can type the consecration, however, it recommends people write it since it is more personal that way. 

Thank you, I read it. Still don't quite get it... What does it 'do'? I mean, we can hardly say a single prayer without mentioning the Mother of God anyway; she is the ultimate way to Christ because she's his mother. Catholics and Orthodox know that, surely! Why do you need/want to do this special extra thing? And is it considered sacramental (wrong word but you know what I mean, hopefully) - something that will Make Stuff Happen - or is it just a pious devotion for the individual's benefit? 

Thank you, I read it. Still don't quite get it... What does it 'do'? I mean, we can hardly say a single prayer without mentioning the Mother of God anyway; she is the ultimate way to Christ because she's his mother. Catholics and Orthodox know that, surely! Why do you need/want to do this special extra thing? And is it considered sacramental (wrong word but you know what I mean, hopefully) - something that will Make Stuff Happen - or is it just a pious devotion for the individual's benefit? 

It's different than mere devotion. This is rather a path towards salvation. You see, you give Mary everything -- all of your merit. In exchange, she gives you all of hers. You're dedicating your life to Mary and giving everything to her, and in exchange she gives you everything she has and leads you to Christ. When I say you give her everything, I mean you even give her the final word on who/what you pray for. You can pray for certain things, but if she knows something/someone who needs those prayers more, she directs your prayers towards that instead. You have given everything, and she basically calls all of the shots. This is good, because she is not only holy, but she has a better vantage point than we do, and knows who needs what more than we could ever hope to.

Good for you!  You won't ever regret making the Consecration.  Back when...it wasn't considered obligatory to write out the whole prayer.  The three or four sentences beginning with "In the presence of the heavenly court... " said to Mary, to yourself, and to anyone who would see the document, exactly what you meant.  Mine has been in the little case with my vows for a l-o-n-g time now.

Good for you!  You won't ever regret making the Consecration.  Back when...it wasn't considered obligatory to write out the whole prayer.  The three or four sentences beginning with "In the presence of the heavenly court... " said to Mary, to yourself, and to anyone who would see the document, exactly what you meant.  Mine has been in the little case with my vows for a l-o-n-g time now.

It's not obligatory to write it out (as I ended up not doing due to lack of time), it's simply preferred, just as it's preferred if you can go to Mass and confession on the day of your Consecration.