An Old School Catholic Message Board

Consecrated Virgin

MonjaFutura

Hi everyone! So what is a consecrated virgin? What do they do? Do they take vows? Are they even still around? I'm super curious and would love as much information as possible :)!

-Thanks

Sponsa-Christi

I'm here! :)

Yes, consecrated virgins are still around! Consecrated virgins are members of the Church's ancient Order of Virgins (Ordo Virginum), which is arguably the oldest form of consecrated life in the Church. The Order of Virgins was revived at Vatican II, sort of like how the permanent diaconate was revived.

Consecrated virgins are consecrated when they receive the Rite of Consecration to a Life of Virginity from the local bishop. We don't make "religious vows" technically speaking, although during the consecration liturgy we do publicly state our resolution to persevere in a life of perpetual virginity and service to the Church.

Since this is such a "new" vocation in the life of the modern Church, right now there are different opinions as to how this vocation should be lived out in a concrete way. But in my own personal understanding of this vocation, I believe that consecrated virgins are ordinarily called to dedicate their lives to the direct service of the Church, to be a public witness, to live in the spirit of the evangelical counsels, and to pray the full Divine Office daily. 

I have a personal blog (which I haven't had much time to update in a while!) with more information on consecrated virginity: http://sponsa-christi.blogspot.com/

Edited by Sponsa-Christi

I'm here! :)

Yes, consecrated virgins are still around! Consecrated virgins are members of the Church's ancient Order of Virgins (Ordo Virginum), which is arguably the oldest form of consecrated life in the Church. The Order of Virgins was revived at Vatican II, sort of like how the permanent diaconate was revived.

Consecrated virgins are consecrated when they receive the Rite of Consecration to a Life of Virginity from the local bishop. We don't make "religious vows" technically speaking, although during the consecration liturgy we do publicly state our resolution to persevere in a life of perpetual virginity and service to the Church.

Since this is such a "new" vocation in the life of the modern Church, right now there are different opinions as to how this vocation should be lived out in a concrete way. But in my own personal understanding of this vocation, I believe that consecrated virgins are ordinarily called to dedicate their lives to the direct service of the Church, to be a public witness, to live in the spirit of the evangelical counsels, and to pray the full Divine Office daily. 

I have a personal blog (which I haven't had much time to update in a while!) with more information on consecrated virginity: http://sponsa-christi.blogspot.com/

Thanks for your response! I checked out your blog and it definitely gave me a lot of useful information! I read the section about 5 reasons not to become a consecrated virgin and was curious as to what good reasons for it would be? God's will would obviously numero uno. I've searched my heart and as far as I can tell, the deepest desire of my heart is to give my life to God and love Him in the most complete way possible, but I'm sure there are other aspects/qualities that one should possess in order to embrace this way of life. God bless

-Marz

Sponsa-Christi

Thanks for your response! I checked out your blog and it definitely gave me a lot of useful information! I read the section about 5 reasons not to become a consecrated virgin and was curious as to what good reasons for it would be? God's will would obviously numero uno. I've searched my heart and as far as I can tell, the deepest desire of my heart is to give my life to God and love Him in the most complete way possible, but I'm sure there are other aspects/qualities that one should possess in order to embrace this way of life. God bless

-Marz

Well, I guess I always thought that the good reasons to become a CV would tend to be sort of obvious to people on VS! I think that the good reasons for making any vocational choice are fairly similar across the board. E.g., no matter what it is that you're discerning, your first priority needs to be seeking to do God's will.

To be a little bit more CV-specific, I think a good reason to become a CV would be that you feel called to give your life entirely to God as a spouse of Christ. An aspiring CV should also have a positive attraction to the spirituality proper to the Order of Virgins, which includes:

- a heavy emphasis on spousal imagery and a "bridal" spirituality;

- a commitment to the Church's liturgical life;

- a special bond with a diocese (rather than a religious Order or an ecclesial movement); and

- a particular connection with the Church's early virgin martyr saints.

Also...an aspiring CV does also need to have a strong will and the personal discipline necessary to maintain a prayer life proper to a consecrated person without the support of a community. And practically speaking, today's CVs do usually need to be pro-active in discerning and finding concrete ways to serve the Church. So on a human level, I think consecrated virginity would tend to be a better "fit" for women who are comfortable with a lot of independence. 

Thank you for the info. I've never really thought about this vocation much (probably b/c I think that I'm cloister-bound) but I think it's very interesting!

God bless you all!