An Old School Catholic Message Board

Travel

Strictlyinkblot

Strictlyinkblot

Hi Everyone

I'm thinking of going to France in November, travelling to Lisieux, possibly Nevers and a few other pilgrimage places (not Lourdes, too far away). I'll probably get the Eurostar straight into Paris. Any suggestions for getting around and where to stay? I was thinking of buying an interrail pass. 

I'm looking to go for about ten days so I don't want anything too ambitious. Oh, and I don't drive.

When I was in France the rail pass was nice. If you go to Paray-le-Monial (where the Sacred Heart Apparitions occurred) make sure to go to the chapel of the visitation. St Mary-Margaret's body is there to the right of the altar. I didn't actually go to the basilica but I'm sure that it is very interesting as well.

Yes, the rail pass is good to have.  Make a quick trip to Chartres to see the cathedral (a quick train ride from Paris).  There is a veil in the Cathedral which is said to have belonged to the Blessed Mother.  Also, while in Paris, you can go to the place where St. Catherine Laboure received the Miraculous Medal......  I stayed in hostels all over Europe.  November is a good time because the summer tourist season will be over and the hostels wont be too packed.  Have a wonderful trip!!!   

I have no experience with Paris, but just wanted to say this sounds amazing! I hope you have a lovely time. I have a dream of going to Taize and Lourdes one day.

You'll have a wonderful time SIB, it's a beautiful area.  When I visited on pilgrimage to Lisieux, I stayed at the Ermitage, here is the site: http://www.therese-de-lisieux.catholique.fr/Ermitage-Sainte-Therese,311.html

It is centrally located to the holy sites, though you might need a taxi from the train station to it, that is a bit of a walk if you have heavy luggage :)  Message me if you need more info and blessings.

Paris has so many great sights if you have some time. The hostel I stayed at was http://www.adveniat-paris.org/index.php?id=16 It was really nice, a short walk to the Metro and very central. The only downside was that eating near the hostel was very pricey. But I learned to hop on the metro and eat closer to where  was headed for the day. The Paris Visite Pass was awesome. I could hop on and off the Metro without having to worry about having enough cash or buying tickets.

One of my favorite Churches was La Madeline (the Church of St Mary Magdalene). It was beautiful and basically NO tourists (unlike Montmartre or Notre Dame).

Check into Monasterystays.com. I think there is  even one next to the Sacra Coure / Monmartre. You will find quiet, reasonable places to stay with Mass and office usually available as well.

Paris has so many great sights if you have some time. The hostel I stayed at was http://www.adveniat-paris.org/index.php?id=16 It was really nice, a short walk to the Metro and very central. The only downside was that eating near the hostel was very pricey. But I learned to hop on the metro and eat closer to where  was headed for the day. The Paris Visite Pass was amesome. I could hop on and off the Metro without having to worry about having enough cash or buying tickets.

One of my favorite Churches was La Madeline (the Church of St Mary Magdalene). It was beautiful and basically NO tourists (unlike Montmartre or Notre Dame).

If you have the time, the one Paris site I think it's important to visit is the French Holocaust memorial.  It is just behind Notre Dame, at the tip of the island, and it is easy to miss, because at ground level, there isn't much to see.  But what is below ground is deeply, deeply moving.  [I expect that you'll find time to visit Notre Dame, and it's only a few meters from the cathedral].

IMO, it is the best memorial to the Holocaust I've ever visited, and that includes our own Yad Vashem in Jerusalem.

When I was there in June it was closed. I was really sad because I love learning about the Holocaust and would have loved to visit it. There is a little memorial garden around it that I was able to visit. If you visit Notre Dame is definitely something you should go visit as well.

Sprinkled around Paris there are other reminders of the Holocaust. I remember seeing on one building a plaque which was a memorial for school children who had been deported. I believe it was close to the Musee De Moyen Age. Also in the Pantheon down in the crypts there is a memorial type thing for "Les Justes de France". It is a title given to those who helped save Jews during the Nazi regime. 

I do not have any traveling advice, as I did not coordinate my pilgrimage to Lisieux.

Have a great time on your trip, and of course enjoy Lisieux! It is such a beautiful experience and privilege to visit the Carmel of St Therese and her home.. Safe travels!