An Old School Catholic Message Board

Family Acceptance

totustuus20

I'm going to guess that 99.9% of parents regardless of vocation, let thier own human-ness show at times and let their adult children see that perhaps their choices aren't aligned with their dreams. 

My sister (a mommy of two and wife of one) got a cuuuuute little pitbull puppy...guess how THAT went over with dad? :rotfl2:

Yeah, pretty much every decision you make is up for judgement.

thank you all for the great advice! I have a skype meeting with the RSM vocations director this weekend, so hopefully that will bring clarity with it!

thank you all for the great advice! I have a skype meeting with the RSM vocations director this weekend, so hopefully that will bring clarity with it!

They're awe.some! :flex:

I have personal experience where i have witnessed (more than once) the influence of 'family' to the point it destroyed religious vocations....i am talking about women who had already gone through discernment and actually entered various convents....only to be pressured by family to leave.  It's heartbreaking really.  Hopefully you and others will follow your own heart and what God wills for you and not what you parents, friends and family force you to do, be it one way or the other.

I'll pray for you! :nun3: My parents are supportive, but my extended family is not, so I know just a leetle bit of how it feels. :nunpray:  

Edited by Lady-Indis

Thank you all for your thoughts and your prayers! Any advice for the skype call?

Remember to look at the camera, not the Vocations Directress; otherwise, it will look like you're not making eye contact with her. Keep in mind what the background looks like (these people FOLD fitted sheets - the main reason I'll never be an RSM :hehe2: - so no messy bedroom scenes).

Edited by SilentJoy

I live in a dorm with a roommate; should I move into the living room to keep from distractions such as my roommate? Also, what do you mean about the fitted sheets?

I live in a dorm with a roommate; should I move into the living room to keep from distractions such as my roommate? Also, what do you mean about the fitted sheets?

Sorry, I was trying to be funny...I have never figured out the trick for folding fitted sheets. I always just end up wadding them in a mostly-squarish bundle. A few years ago I went on a retreat weekend with the Religious Sisters of Mercy and stayed in their guest house. When I opened the linen closet to grab something, I noticed that all of the sheets were perfectly folded, including the fitted ones...I'd never seen that feat before!

How did you like them?

I loved them, and I loved the visit! The Sisters are very bright but also very kind and down-to-earth, and they have a strong love for the Church, Reason and the Eucharist. I got the sense that their active apostolate had its source in the contemplative aspect of their lives, and flowed out from that hidden love.