An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pre-entrance Jitters

Catherine Mectilde

Catherine Mectilde

I've recently come back from a monastic live-in and have settled on an entrance date in early December, thanks be to God. After such a long time of watching and waiting, it now feels like things are moving along very quickly. In theory this is great, but I'm oscillating between being delighted and being terrified!

I'm determined to ignore my silly fears, but I wondered if any of you had particularly good passages/quotes to recommend that would help in moments of weakness?

JMJ

Catherine Mectilde, how joyful to hear of your upcoming entrance! I think you will find the time go by very quickly. I have a few quotes from saints that may be of help to you.

Saint Gertrude the Great, "Ah, Jesus, very closest to my heart, always be with me in such a way that my heart may abide with you and your love may indivisibly persevere with me; and thus, may my passing be blessed by you, and may my spirit, set free from the shackle of this flesh, from then on rest in you."

Saint Perpetua, "What happens will be what God desires. We are in the power of God, not in our own power."

Saint Teresa of Jesus of the Andes, "Everywhere I go, he is with me, within my poor heart. He is the little home where I dwell. . . . He is my heaven on earth."

Venerable Catherine McAuley, "Take from my heart all painful anxiety; suffer nothing to sadden me but sin, nothing to delight in me but the hope of coming to the possession of you, my God and my all, in your everlasting kingdom."

I have more if you would like me to post some.

Congratulations!

Here are some words that guide me.

"So do not fear, for I am with you". (Isaiah 41:10)

"And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age." (Matthew 28:20)

"Take, Lord and receive all my liberty, my memory, my understanding, and my entire will, all I have and call my own. You have given all to me. To you, Lord, I return it. Everything is yours; do with it what you will. Give me only your love and your grace, that is enough for me." - Ignatius of Loyola

"When, almost eight years ago, on April 19th, [2005], I agreed to take on the Petrine ministry, I held steadfast in this certainty, which has always accompanied me. In that moment, as I have already stated several times, the words that resounded in my heart were: “Lord, what do you ask of me? It a great weight that You place on my shoulders, but, if You ask me, at your word I will throw out the nets, sure that you will guide me” – and the Lord really has guided me. He has been close to me: daily could I feel His presence. [These years] have been a stretch of the Church’s pilgrim way, which has seen moments joy and light, but also difficult moments. I have felt like St. Peter with the Apostles in the boat on the Sea of ​​Galilee: the Lord has given us many days of sunshine and gentle breeze, days in which the catch has been abundant; [then] there have been times when the seas were rough and the wind against us, as in the whole history of the Church it has ever been – and the Lord seemed to sleep. Nevertheless, I always knew that the Lord is in the barque, that the barque of the Church is not mine, not ours, but His – and He shall not let her sink. It is He, who steers her: to be sure, he does so also through men of His choosing, for He desired that it be so. This was and is a certainty that nothing can tarnish. It is for this reason, that today my heart is filled with gratitude to God, for never did He leave me or the Church without His consolation, His light, His love." - Pope Benedict XVI

Something I have found when I am having doubts and fears in discernment is to spend more time in prayer. In my experience when I get distracted from prayer that is when fear creeps in. So stay focused on God in prayer and you should be good.

Listen to this "virtual choir" of Carmelites, and note the prayer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycy0a5eHgVs

Here is the English translation of what is known as "St. Teresa's Bookmarak" (Teresa of Avila), which is being sung in Spanish in the link above:

Let nothing disturb you,
Let nothing frighten you,
All things are passing away:
God never changes.
Patience obtains all things
Whoever has God lacks nothing;
God alone suffices.

-- St. Teresa of Avila

There's nothing to fear in finding you're not called, because that means God is calling you to something that will make you even happier. Get rid of that fear if you have it. Take consolation in the fact that the worst thing that could possibly happen is as you walk through the doors of the monastery you spontaneously combust. Everything else is nothing worth worrying about.

JMJ

TheresaThoma, what a wonderful piece of advice! I find that same thing happens to me. There are two quotes I really like.

Saint Jane Frances de Chantal, "If only we could say in utter truth these words, 'My God is my all', we would never find our prayer long or boring. When boredom descended upon us in prayer, that simple phrase said from the heart would act like a spell to drive away our weariness and disgust."

Caryll Houselander, "But as we have brought suffering into the world, God does all he can, without taking away our free will and so taking away our humanity, to change suffering from something that bruises and destroys us into something that exalts and renews us."

I feel like that last one reflected what FuturePacker was saying. Everything you're going through Catherine Mectilde, you can offer up to Jesus, which will in turn make you and Him happier. Remember your cross.

Edited by Charbel

The same thing happens to people approaching their wedding day.

I think it's natural to be nervous about major life changes. In fact, it would be kind of weird if you weren't nervous.

Katiebobatie94

'Do not be afraid of Christ! He takes nothing away, and he gives you everything. When we give ourselves to him, we receive a hundredfold in return. Yes, open, wide the doors to Christ - and you will find true life."

-Pope Benedict XVI 

littlesister

You are perfectly normal !  We've all been there at one point or another.  Just try to remember that Christ is waiting for you at the monastery entrance, with his arms open and a big smile on his face.  It may seem like jumping off a cliff, but even though you've already done a live-in, a whole new world will open up.

Catherine Therese

"I am with you always, even to the end of the age." (Mt 28:20)

Sorry to trump-in, pholks, but its hard to beat Our Lord's own promise ;)

Edited by Catherine Therese

I have very similar feelings so i know what you feel now.And i did not have entrance date yet.I'm waiting confirmation and exact date from my order.

And i feel kind of scared when i got it.They it will become all real to be.But i think it is good fear it will prepare us for many temptations in ahead of us.

You are in my prayers and in my heart.