An Old School Catholic Message Board

Terre Haute Carmel

Gabriela

be_thou_my_vision

Could you please give us more details? More impressions?

Sure! I visited several years ago. They are a "multicultural" community-- they have one or more sisters from the Philippines, Trinidad, England, and obviously America. Because of this, I got the impression that they did not have the opinion that there was a "cookie-cutter" sister. They had personally experienced that people come from all over the world with different customs, and that it's okay if someone does something or has a different point of view than another because of culture. I experienced their warmth and welcoming spirit.

Although their lifestyle is austere, these sisters do not have a harsh spirit. If a new postulant comes that is the same nationality as another sister, they "match" them up so that the transition is easier for the postulant. I don't mean as the postulant mistress, but as that postulant's "angel sister." Maybe someone that has been in Carmel can explain this further.

I have to go now but will write more later!

be_thou_my_vision

To be really honest, that's all that I can remember about them that you can't find on their website... hope it helps. They are definitely worth visiting if you are thinking about it.

brandelynmarie

To be really honest, that's all that I can remember about them that you can't find on their website... hope it helps. They are definitely worth visiting if you are thinking about it.

I'm seriously considering it. :) Thank you...God reward you! A certain someone has suggested that we pray to enter a monastery where we will be refined & made holy if we respond to the graces His gives us....hmmmm...so much food thought! Again, thank you for sharing!

be_thou_my_vision

When I visited, Mother Mary Clare was the vocation director. . I was worrying about my vocation and she said, (basically, I'm paraphrasing) "Jesus will hold on to you tighter than you hold on to Him." I have always remembered that.

I don't want to get into a discussion about whether or not one can lose their vocation, I just wanted to share that thought because I found it very comforting... that God is stronger than me, and that He desires me more than I could ever desire Him.

Edited by be_thou_my_vision

AnneLine always says that if God wants you in Carmel nothing will keep you out, and if he doesn't nothing will keep you in.