An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cvs And Nuns: Brides Of Christ?

MonjaFutura

Can someone explain exactly what the "bride of Christ" concept is all about with consecrated virgins and nuns because from my research, some take it more literally than others and  I would love to know exactly what it means. Tnanks!

uh-oh, Shall I notify the mods immediately?

Sorry, Monjafutura, this topic has devolved into a terrible fight on this forum before.  There are a couple? past threads which are all interesting, but shut down because they got into terrible fights over disputed theology and canon law on this exact question.  I too would like to see a discussion on this, hopefully much more civil than the past.

Sponsa-Christi

I actually think this is a fair enough question. The really horrible debates erupted over the question of who had the right to call themselves "brides of Christ," but Monjafutura seems to be asking how women who do consider themselves "brides of Christ" interpret this for their own lives.

For me, I suppose interpret my call to be a bride of Christ more or less literally--although on a concrete level, I suppose it's more like being betrothed or engaged rather than actually married, since I don't expect to see Christ face-to-face in this earthly life.

There is a lot of beautiful but somewhat abstract theology related to the call to be a "bride of Christ" (like being an "icon" of the Church, etc.). But to put it in more immediate, practical terms, I felt called to give Christ my heart in such a complete and total way that there wasn't room for a mortal husband. Just as spouses dedicate themselves completely to each other, I wanted to give my life to Christ in this same kind of whole and exclusive sense.

I hope this makes sense? 

I think sponsa christi said it very well. I may have a slightly different view as I was in the cloister for 14 years then have been out of it for longer.

However, my heart and my total gift of myself to God as a response to His gift of Himself to me remains the same.....it is just that how I live that out is different to how I used to.

I have never been married nor do I wish to be. I am not a consecrated virgin and do not feel called to that vocation.

I am just little old me living for Him as best I can. The practicalities were easier in the convent.

SponsaChristi and Max: How do you live out your "spousal" relation with Jesus in daily life? I'm an academic, and we are worked nearly to death, so I find that "living for God" is something I really struggle with in my life, because it seems I spend all day every day just trying to hold onto my job. How can one live for Him in such a situation? I've tried seeing Christ in my colleagues and my students, but I really just struggle to find Him in the mundane and harried realities of my work...

Sponsa-Christi

SponsaChristi and Max: How do you live out your "spousal" relation with Jesus in daily life? I'm an academic, and we are worked nearly to death, so I find that "living for God" is something I really struggle with in my life, because it seems I spend all day every day just trying to hold onto my job. How can one live for Him in such a situation? I've tried seeing Christ in my colleagues and my students, but I really just struggle to find Him in the mundane and harried realities of my work...

A lot of my spousal experience is very intuitive, so it's a bit hard for me to put into words, but I'll try my best. And I do want to point out that this is my own personal experience, so I'm not trying to speak for all consecrated virgins everywhere. 

First of all, daily Mass and daily Communion have a very strong spousal dimension for me, and I see my participation at Mass as being extended through my daily praying of the Divine Office. So I already have sort of built-in set moments of my day when my spousal vocation is brought to mind in a more direct way.

I've actually had rather demanding "jobs" for most of my consecrated life. I just spend three years studying for a JCL (a licence in canon law) which I finished in June, and that was quite a bit of work---usually eight post-graduate level classes per semester, with everything taught entirely in Italian! Right now, I've just started as a Director of Religious Education at a fairly big parish, so I still have some long, and at times stressful, days.

In terms of remembering my spousal vocation, for me it's been a big personal spiritual help that I've always been engaged in work or studies which directly benefit the Church. Even when I feel exhausted or completely poured out, I know I'm being poured out for God's people. Just like a mother pours herself out for her own family, I'm pouring myself out for the family of my Spouse. 

And even if I don't always consciously ponder my call to be a bride of Christ during every waking moment, it is still the main theme of my life overall. I've made all my major life choices in reference to this call, and it truly is the reason I get up every morning. Being called to take Christ as my Spouse has become such a central part of my identity that I don't need to be thinking about it all the time for it to be a very real and ever-present reality for me.

Edited by Sponsa-Christi

Curiousing, I have been trying to live St Therese's Little Way since I was 11.

Out of the convent or in it.

Dedicate each day to God as soon as you wake up. Promise Him that in the tiny moments of the day you will turn to Him....He will soon become very present to you, cos He can't resist that.

Then carry out, with the best of your will, an intention to do each thing perfectly for Him. Not the big things....the Little Flower said she was too small for those. No, the little things. Stir your coffee and utter that you love Him. Walk across the hall and whisper His name in your heart. Tell him that your very preoccupations are His to do with as He wishes, that you are certain He is in them too. Pause and become aware of the beat of your heart and join yours to His so that even your heartbeat become a prayer......

From these little things amazing recollection can come.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

A lot of my spousal experience is very intuitive, so it's a bit hard for me to put into words, but I'll try my best. And I do want to point out that this is my own personal experience, so I'm not trying to speak for all consecrated virgins everywhere. 

First of all, daily Mass and daily Communion have a very strong spousal dimension for me, and I see my participation at Mass as being extended through my daily praying of the Divine Office. So I already have sort of built-in set moments of my day when my spousal vocation is brought to mind in a more direct way.

I've actually had rather demanding "jobs" for most of my consecrated life. I just spend three years studying for a JCL (a licence in canon law) which I finished in June, and that was quite a bit of work---usually eight post-graduate level classes per semester, with everything taught entirely in Italian! Right now, I've just started as a Director of Religious Education at a fairly big parish, so I still have some long, and at times stressful, days.

In terms of remembering my spousal vocation, for me it's been a big personal spiritual help that I've always been engaged in work or studies which directly benefit the Church. Even when I feel exhausted or completely poured out, I know I'm being poured out for God's people. Just like a mother pours herself out for her own family, I'm pouring myself out for the family of my Spouse. 

And even if I don't always consciously ponder my call to be a bride of Christ during every waking moment, it is still the main theme of my life overall. I've made all my major life choices in reference to this call, and it truly is the reason I get up every morning. Being called to take Christ as my Spouse has become such a central part of my identity that I don't need to be thinking about it all the time for it to be a very real and ever-present reality for me.

Sponsa-Christi, you couldn't have expressed it better! Thank you! I would say that as a cloistered nun this is also pretty much my way of living my spousal consecration. I don't have the active work you have but I have community life which is where I'm called to grow in charity!

For me, I would say that the main "theme" of living the spousal dimension of my consecration as a nun is that of conforming and being transformed by Christ Crucified.

Dedicate each day to God as soon as you wake up. Promise Him that in the tiny moments of the day you will turn to Him....He will soon become very present to you, cos He can't resist that.

Then carry out, with the best of your will, an intention to do each thing perfectly for Him. Not the big things....the Little Flower said she was too small for those. No, the little things. Stir your coffee and utter that you love Him. Walk across the hall and whisper His name in your heart. Tell him that your very preoccupations are His to do with as He wishes, that you are certain He is in them too. Pause and become aware of the beat of your heart and join yours to His so that even your heartbeat become a prayer......

Hmmm... I appreciate your sharing, and I have tried some of these things. But I really can't relate to the spirituality of St. Therese. Not to mention my mind is like a London fog first thing in the mornings. ;)

I do love your trailer, though! (Just noticed it...)

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Sister, how do you live this out, practically speaking?

Being conformed to Christ Crucified for me means seeing everything in the light of my Spouse offering His life for the salvation of the world out of love. In the constitutions of the Dominican nuns it describes the vow of obedience as the way of cooperating in the work of redemption. So, everything has meaning on another level. Nothing is ordinary. And the inner struggles, pain, sufferings, etc. have a deeper meaning. It's more than "offering it up". (Which isn't a bad thing either!)

Hopefully, through giving of myself in receptivity to whatever God wants of me I will be transformed by Christ to be more and more each day in his image, be more Christ-like, more one with my Spouse.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

:saint2: :nun3: :bravo:  Well, you get the idea!

MarysLittleFlower

Great question! I'm not a nun or CV but in discerning religious life or consecrated life in the world. I think being a bride of Christ means giving yourself to Him completely so that your heart has only Him as your Beloved. The vows or consecration are based on loving only Jesus and not seeking any other creature, comforts, or riches. He alone is your Treasure. I think this is something interior but it is expressed exteriorly too. I think it means seeking only His will, denying your own will, andmaking a gift of yourself to Him at every instant. I also believe that Communion is a way to express your love for Him too by giving your heart to Him in this union. I think Jesus can teach it in practice and for each soul there are personal elements. I'm still learning as well, but just some thoughts! God bless you!