An Old School Catholic Message Board

Visiting The Carthusians

Anselm

This Saturday I'm visiting the Carthusian monastery of St Hugh's Charterhouse, Parkminster, here in the UK. Usually they don't allow visitors other than Postulants, but they do make exceptions for local men who ask. I'm very excited!

The Bus Station

This Saturday I'm visiting the Carthusian monastery of St Hugh's Charterhouse, Parkminster, here in the UK. Usually they don't allow visitors other than Postulants, but they do make exceptions for local men who ask. I'm very excited!

Wow!! That is exciting.  What a blessing it must be to spend even a day within their monastery walls.  Please tell us about it when you get back. :)

I'm just back. It was astounding.

I held and read from a copy of The Cloud of Unknowing written out by hand by Bl William Exmew O.Cart, a Carthusian martyr executed by Henry VIIIS in 1535...

Though I don't want to say too much about such a very enclosed community, every word I heard made me think that the religious life is the only truly sane path in life. As we left, the monk who showed us around said "I must go, Fr X is close to death. He wants to die, we want him to die, but God doesn't yet agree." Said with such joy at the impending union of one of his brethren with God!

Credo in Deum

Though I don't want to say too much about such a very enclosed community, every word I heard made me think that the religious life is the only truly sane path in life. As we left, the monk who showed us around said "I must go, Fr X is close to death. He wants to die, we want him to die, but God doesn't yet agree." Said with such joy at the impending union of one of his brethren with God!

Brings to mind the words of Sheen in his book "Life of Christ"

"We need a Christ Who will restore moral indignation, Who will make us hate evil with a passionate intensity, and love goodness to a point where we can drink death like water."

puellapaschalis

Spoken just like your namesake!