An Old School Catholic Message Board

In Need Of A Pick-me-up

marigold

Any suggestions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=919_fXzUkGU

So beautiful! How wonderful that this has been a part of your life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHeZDwu2j1g

I was just sent this. If you only watch 30 seconds of it, watch 29:30-30:00  :cry4:

Hi Marigold,

Not sure if you are discerning or not, but wanted to share the site of this beautiful young order in case you hadn't heard of it yet

http://www.christthebridegroom.org/

Thanks, Andi! They're good friends actually, and I have a lot of respect for what they do. It's not an easy path, being outsiders to both sides - frequently misunderstood by both Roman Catholics and Orthodox. 

Edited by moderator:  Reason: For remarks which I feel are not beneficial to VS. If you want to comment about supposed "errors" you should do it in the debate thread or open mic. - Credo

puellapaschalis

Thanks, Andi! They're good friends actually, and I have a lot of respect for what they do. It's not an easy path, being outsiders to both sides - frequently misunderstood by both Roman Catholics and Orthodox. As and when the Diocese of Rome in error comes back into the Church, I'll be the first one knocking at the door ;)

Wait, a sympathiser of the SSPX - a congregation which does acknowledge the authority of the Pope - would get a phishy tag, but a 'Chummy Commoner' is allowed to say something like this about the Roman Church?

Edited by puellapaschalis

Wait, a sympathiser of the SSPX - a congregation which does acknowledge the authority of the Pope - would get a phishy tag, but a 'Chummy Commoner' is allowed to say something like this about the Roman Church?

:D

puellapaschalis

:D

I'm not sure why you think that's funny. Surely there are plenty of Orthodox boards where you can insult the Roman Church to your heart's content?

(No, it's not the only time you've said something like this either.)

I'm not sure why you think that's funny. Surely there are plenty of Orthodox boards where you can insult the Roman Church to your heart's content?

(No, it's not the only time you've said something like this either.)

I figured, since I've always been open about my position and beliefs, that a light-hearted remark making fun of the awkward ecclesial situation wasn't out of order. It's not a secret that the Orthodox Church considers the Roman Catholic Church to be in error, just like it's not a secret that the Roman Catholic Church considers us to be in schism. 

It was not my intent to personally hurt anybody, and I apologise!

Discussions like this do VS much more harm than ANY of Marigold's remarks. OF COURSE it was not meant to hurt anybody personally. Even I could see that.

puellapaschalis

It's not about whether anyone in particular was insulted*; this is a Catholic forum and a remark about the Roman Church being in error is akin to being in a family's living room and then promptly making a derogatory statement about them.

There is the Debate Table if people want to throw that kind of stuff around (but then they'd have to defend things properly). It has no place on VS.

A vocations board on a Catholic forum will take as a common starting point that the participants are aware that it's a Catholic forum, and that if some are not Catholic then they will respect where they are. There are various non-Catholic traditions, and non-Christian religions, that have models of priesthood and religious life that seem similar to what we know in the Catholic Church. But just as we cannot blur the lines between Catholicism, Orthodoxy, Protestantism, Buddhism, and so on, so we certainly cannot do the same when it comes to religious life. Seek common ground, yes, certainly. Tolerate Holy Mother Church being touted as being in error, especially in jest, definitely not.

If it were the only time it had happened, then it could have just been let go. But it was not the first time Marigold has made such remarks about the Catholic Church, and I stand by my remarks.

*FWIW, I wasn't: but I saw inconsistency, and will call a spade a spade.

Dear me. When you have a good friend who is Bauhaus and you have a perfect country house living room. Even if he mocks my furniture: He's a good friend and I know him - at least he's honest and straight, and I can rely on him. It would be an insult only if it's a stranger. But tell me: is Marigold a stranger here?? No she is not. Don't you see any bigger problems? Does she really harm the church? And who does? We have much bigger problems than that, mostly by our own people.