An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mother Mary Elias Of The Blessed Sacrament

Teresita

Dear MaterMisericordiae,

Many thanks for this and the previous post on Mother Mary Elias and the Carmel of Buffalo founded by her. What a wonderful history associated with this Carmel and St. Therese! Did your Mom or her friend take any pictures of the chapel, etc. that could be shared? Would love to see something of this Carmel which has such a history!

Thanks again and may Our Infant Savior bless you most abundantly!

Also, in the booklet I received from Mother Miriam, the current prioress of Buffalo, the other story of Mother Elias is astonishing, as well.  She and her companion had fled Mexico and were on a train.  While they were still on the train, the ticketmaster was coming around and no religious articles were allowed on board.  Mother Elias was dressed in disguise but always carried with her a statue of the Infant Jesus, which was holding, wrapped up in a blanket.  The ticketmaster remarked that the baby she was carrying made no noise and wasn't moving and started to unwrap the bundle to see what was inside.  Imagine his surprise when the statue came to life and started crying!

Here is a link about her life, too:

http://ourladyofmountcarmelusa.com/patroness-of-our-seminary-mother-mary-elias-of-the-blessed-sacrament-ocd-1879-1943/

Dear Chiqui,

Thanks also for the update on VeniJesuAmorMi. I have been praying for her and will continue to do so. Do you know what name she received at her clothing? You mentioned there are some pictures of her (I assume in her holy habit) out there. Did you mean on the Internet? And if so, could you pm the link to me if you don't want to share it publicly. I would love to see her in the holy habit and would not share with anyone or post anywhere.

Thanks again and may Our Lady protect you always!

brandelynmarie

Dear Brandelynmarie,

Thanks so much for the this and the previous information. BTW, who is the Carmelite on your avatar? She looks so young and so joyful!
Thanks again and may the Queen of Carmel shelter you in Her loving care!

Yus. :nun:
That is Sister Magdalena of the Eucharist originally from Mexico, then from Spain. She died fairly recently as a young nun from cancer & I've become very fond of her & ask for her intercession. Chiquitunga introduced her story to us on VS. She was a very joyful person for God!
www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/88350-sr-magdalena-of-the-eucharist-ocd/

You are so welcome. :) I'm on my smart phone, but I managed to multiquote an older reference to Sister Magdalena. :love:

Dear Chiqui,

Thanks so much for all the information and links on Mother Mary Elias. You are a veritable treasure trove of information about Carmel, past and present!

Thank you also for the links to info on the miraculous statue of the Infant Jesus which featured in Mother Mary Elias' life. I had no idea that the statue had such a wonderful history even prior to the incident with Mother Elias on the train. What a wonderful Carmelite she is and how prominently divine assistance and divine intervention occurred in her life. I wish she were better known and that one could visit her tomb. 

Do you know if any of the Carmels founded by her offer holy cards/prayers for her canonization, or if a cause for such was ever begun?

Once again, please accept my gratitude. May Our Divine Savior and His Immaculate Mother reward you as only They can!

Hi Teresita! I just know that at one point one of the nuns in Grand Rapids (now Ada) was working on this, but she passed away. I heard this from one of the former Prioresses of Ada. And I know Buffalo had been wanting to do this for a time as well, though I don't know exactly when and if there is anything happening currently. You could write either of these Carmels though to see. I have not seen any holy cards or relics at either of these Carmels' gift shops, and I asked the Ada Prioress about it as well (no they don't have any :/) The most I could find in their gift shop was a postcard of the Infant Jesus statue. I have also heard that there isn't anything available on her at the Littleton, CO Carmel as well, though their Foundress Mother Teresa wrote that book, The Dove with the Scarlet Collar.

Chiqui,

Thanks so much for this. You mentioned this picture is on the slideshow on the homepage. Do you have a link or am I missing something here? Would love to see more pictures of Mother Mary Elias. Thanks again!

Oh I just mean the changing pictures you see on their homepage, http://carmeloftraversecity.org/

Dear Chiqui,

Thanks also for the update on VeniJesuAmorMi. I have been praying for her and will continue to do so. Do you know what name she received at her clothing? You mentioned there are some pictures of her (I assume in her holy habit) out there. Did you mean on the Internet? And if so, could you pm the link to me if you don't want to share it publicly. I would love to see her in the holy habit and would not share with anyone or post anywhere.

Thanks again and may Our Lady protect you always!

There aren't any pictures of Veni anywhere, but a few pictures from her Carmel have been posted online. I recently was reading the countdown to entrance thread she had started before she entered, so I think I will post in there about her clothing as well, http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/132400-countdown-to-entering-carmel/ :heart:

My mom and her friend visited the Buffalo Carmelite monastery last month on my request (I wasn't able to go with them because of school and work).  According to her biography, Mother Elias created the monastery in St. Therese's name on the day she was canonized - May 17, 1925 - because of a promise she made when she and her companion were in front of a firing squad because of Catholicism being outlawed in Mexico and she was caught.  She promised St. Therese that if she saved their lives, she would build a monastery in her honor.  The day the monastery was dedicated, the nuns and visitors reported smelling roses in the hallways (none of the windows were open).  My mom said the monastery in Buffalo is GORGEOUS! 

That's so wonderful your mother visited there on your request!! :nun2:

And yes that booklet you mention, Love Can Do All is great! Teresita you should see about getting a copy if you are really interested in anything on Mother Elias. Also, if you want a copy of The Dove with the Scarlet Collar besides just reading it online, you can get it here, http://www.carmel-books.org/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_10&products_id=1589 from the UK, or the Sisters of Carmel in CO Springs have it (just google the name of the book and them) although I will not post a link as the community is in an irregular situation/not in union with the Diocese (pray for them! :pray:)

And you mentioned wanting to see pictures from Buffalo Carmel, https://picasaweb.google.com/112954809546652959393/CarmelOfTheLittleFlowerOfJesusBuffaloNY