An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is Depression A Mental Illness?

God the Father

yes, in your case

In my case?  How about the posters that have stated exactly what I said?  I really just added a video.  Becuase if you don't want to read, atleast you can watch.

I think you have some issues, but they're not with me.

In my case? How about the posters that have stated exactly what I said? I really just added a video. Becuase if you don't want to read, atleast you can watch.

I think you have some issues, but they're not with me.

What are you so angry about?

What are you so angry about?

Ummmmmm......I'm so lost......what in the world are you talking about?

And now for a dancing nun becuase thats just as relevant

:nun2: :nun2: :nun2: :nun2: :nun2:

Slow down there nellie. I didn't say I had a dog. Now you're getting wicked defensive and sounding rather ridiculous.

You mentioned your partner died. If you are suffering from depression, and it's been more than 6 months, then you should go get help. Not like Lucy from charlie brown 5cent psychologist help but real psychological help. If you're having trouble affording help there's always phone numbers that you can call. The Hope line primarily deals with suicide but can instantly get you connected with free, local help for other mental illness or things that can become mental illness if left untreated.

I don't belive it is unusual or abnormal to greve or be severely depressed for over 6 months when a spouse dies... Your suggestion that I need phyiactric intervention is ludicrous. Edited by little2add

I don't belive it is unusual or abnormal to greve or be severely depressed for over 6 months when a spouse dies... Your suggestion that I need phyiactric intervention is ludicrous.

Actually.  Science.

How to Recognize Complicated Grief

Complicated grief often disrupts relationships with friends and family and makes the bereaved person feel cut off and alone. Complicated grief can make it difficult to function effectively or even to care about functioning. Maybe you know someone who has lost a child, a spouse, a partner, a parent, or a close friend - and you are wondering if they are suffering from complicated grief. If a person has many of the following symptoms for more than six months after the death of a loved one, they may be suffering from complicated grief:

• Strong feelings of yearning or longing for the person who died
  • Feeling intensely lonely, even when other people are around
  • Strong feelings of anger or bitterness related to the death
  • Feeling like life is empty or meaningless without the person who died
  • Thinking so much about the person who died that it interferes with doing things or with relationships with other people
  • Strong feelings of disbelief about the death or finding it very difficult to accept the death
  • Feeling shocked, stunned, dazed or emotionally numb
  • Finding it hard to care about or to trust other people
  • Feeling very emotionally or physically activated when confronted with reminders of the loss
  • Avoiding people, places, or things that are reminders of the loss
  • Strong urges to see, touch, hear, or smell things to feel close to the person who died

If you think you or someone you know is suffering in this way, you may want to talk to the Center staff about complicated grief. They can help you find out how to get treatment for complicated grief.

http://www.complicatedgrief.org/bereavement/how-to-recognize-complicated-grief/17/

From my understanding about science and psychology, and from everything I've ever learned, around 6 months science starts to see this as a real, serious issue.  Certainly everyone is different, and situations may vary, but in general, when grief lasts more than 6 months and especially when it goes past the one year mark, it is a serious psychological problem.

It is actually really serious to be severely depressed for more than 6 months.

Edited by blazeingstar

In my opinion it would be a lot more troubling if someone lost a spouse or say a family member like your mother and you didn't feel sorrow grief and despair for more than six months

Edited by little2add

In my opinion it would be a lot more troubling if someone lost a spouse or say a family member like your mother and you didn't feel sorrow grief and despair for more than six months

Again, no and again SCIENCE.

Grief has stages, and if you can't move out of the initial stages after 6 months, then that shows signs of deeper problems.  Still feeling grief, as you move through the stages is normal.  Feeling sorrow, by 6 months most of that should be gone, though momentary occurrences still can happen. An anniversary, birthday, life event, etc. 

Feeling despair for over a 6months after a loss on a constant basis is not health, nor is it normal.

Its really clear to me that I'm getting no where with you and that you're trying to imply that those who are concerned for mental health are troubled or disturbed.  You clearly believe that it's normal to wallow in depression for what I gather is years after a loss.  I and others have stated that's not healthy, but you're entitled to believe what you want, it's only causing you harm.

Its really clear to me that I'm getting no where with you and that you're trying to imply that those who are concerned for mental health are troubled or disturbed.

No one is implying anything, my dear, except maybe you. 

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I was told depression is a disease of the self. Poor me Poor me Pour me a drink. Something like that anyway, but of course it doesn't always lead to drinking but hopefully you get the point, but honestly i don't have any degrees it's just street psychology. The person often is always focusing on the self negatively it is the other side of pride to the extreme called the shadow, the other end of the scale is ego or, i'm so fantastic and your a bit of a spastic. But of course it's to the extreme and uncontrolable so it is called depression and treated with mind altering drugs to much, though such drugs help they usually don't do to much unless you put the person in an awake comatosed state, it's sad, but there is hope there are plenty of other ways to treat mental illness coming out now days, faith, hope and charity is the best i think, but art therapy, congnetive thinking and a whole host of other remedies culminated with the medication is becoming more widely available, excercise is good too.

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I'm queen of off topic, but how in the world does this relate to the OP's question? So far your posts, while less than coherent, have at least attempted to remain on topic.

So lets give this some science:

Given the complex nature of mental illness science would say that dogs can suffer from depression, though how it manifests is typically through either mental breakdown a la Rage syndrome (often in Cocker Spaniels) or through great loss in a dog that has been sired for loyalty (Timmy and Lassie, that Japaneese dog Hikoto or something that slept on his deceed owners grave), or debilitating illness such as blindness or deafness (old dogs on the blindess, white dogs or cats on deafness). However, given that these are not chemical based, but situational, dogs cannot often be helped by psycotropic drugs. They can be given mild sedatives to calm them, however, and for many dogs (or lab rats, cats, gorillis etc, it helps)

If one feels their dog is depressed and the vet gives the all ok and there is no loss in the dog's life, it's probably in the eye of the beholder and time to get the person to a doctor as they may be seeing a dog's normal behavior as something that it's not. Eg. The dog sighs because it's been crated (punished) for jumping on guests (eg cannot seek pleasure) , not because it's "depressed" that it cannot see guests.

When my dog is sad I scratch her ears and gave her a little doggie treat,

Slow down there nellie. I didn't say I had a dog. Now you're getting wicked defensive and sounding rather ridiculous.

You mentioned your partner died. If you are suffering from depression, and it's been more than 6 months, then you should go get help. Not like Lucy from charlie brown 5cent psychologist help but real psychological help. If you're having trouble affording help there's always phone numbers that you can call. The Hope line primarily deals with suicide but can instantly get you connected with free, local help for other mental illness or things that can become mental illness if left untreated.

So you're saying that if a person loses a spouse or a close family member is depressed more than six months that there mentally ill or damaged.
That's a pretty bold statement.

No disrespect lady but your full of it!