An Old School Catholic Message Board

Astro-physicist Dominican Nun

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Sr Mary Catharine OP

http://www.worldcrunch.com/culture-society/how-the-stars-aligned-for-a-german-astrophysicist-turned-nun/religion-catholicism-antony-flew-convent-church-scientist/c3s17255/#.VFZ9CGcslqg

Too much about Carmelites on this forum. Got to up the Dominican presence! :saint2:
Seriously, what a beautiful story that she has given all this to God in a life of prayer. This monastery in Regensberg is one of the oldest and sent nuns to the US to help teach the German immigrants. Eventually they had to change their status and become 3rd Order Sisters.

AuthorOfMyLife

Interesting and inspiring article! 

I was curious about this sentence, though:

"Sister Lydia chose her convent with great care: It is a Dominican convent, the Dominicans being probably the most intellectual order available to women. What's expected of women who want to join is that they possess a certain maturity and that they received professional training and worked in their profession."

I don't suppose it is always the case that Dominican communities require prospective sisters to be trained in something professional? I don't think you need to be professionally trained to be intellectual (at least I hope not)! 

I mean, I LOVE the Dominican spirit of study, but I haven't been trained in anything in particular (health issues forced me out of college). I have just trained myself in writing, sewing, and music--I wonder if that might be good enough?

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Yes, I saw that, too, and thought, what? So, I think that is just the writer's perception. For Dominicans, study is about knowing and loving God more, not being intellectuals. We do require a certain desire to study, though and most who enter do have a certain desire for it. Study has its own penance built in!

BTW I didn't go to college, either but in the monastery I probably got the equivalent of a masters in Theology.

What is important is the desire for God. And coming with gifts of music and sewing are just wonderful!

AuthorOfMyLife

Thank you, Sister Mary Catharine!

That's what I thought (that study is to deepen love). You're right about the penance of study--I've found that out when trying to impose a modicum of spiritual reading on my day (it can be challenging, since you see how much you need to improve). 

Also....I'm glad you think sewing and musical skills would be useful! 

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Normally someone wouldn't bring that many but someone like her that would be "normal". 

Books....ahhhhh!

Some random thoughts on books and convents.

Edith Stein brought six large boxes of books with her.

Apparently St Therese brought tweezers but books we are unsure of.  She  left a book behind after her death though that seems kinda popular... :|

Teresa of Avila had to burn all of her books at one point!! :cry:

Catherine of Siena was illiterate (as far as I know which isnt far) but that didnt stop her from giving everyone, popes included, a piece of her mind :)

Aquinas wrote the dang Summa  etc etc then proclaimed it as nothing.   :pinch: