An Old School Catholic Message Board

Favorite Saints And Not So Much

Basilisa Marie

veritasluxmea

I like Padre Pio too. I'm not a strong devotee, but he's cool. When you get down to him and his interactions with people, he cared deeply about them. So what about his modesty standards? He also thought it would be wrong to be a politician because they have to tell white lies and can't be completely transparent. Many saints had crazy ideas and views about all sorts of things. St. John Vianney thought it was a sin for parents to allow their toddlers to be naked around the house. St Francis de Sales was against dancing (Introduction to the Devout Life). St Ignatius compared the devil to a woman (Rule 12). I think the best way to handle that is to respect their opinion, understand the general idea behind what they're saying, and adapt it to your life if necessary. 

Edited by veritasluxmea

I like St. Rose of Lima, St. Martin de Porres, Pope St. Pius X, St. Camillus de Lellis, Bl. Giorgio Frasseti.

I'm not too fond of St. Therese of Liseux, or Mother Teresa (don't anybody shoot!). I just figure it's a matter of personalities that don't get along.  

PhuturePriest

I don't have any Saints I dislike, but there are some who just don't resonate with me (Which I think is the distinction I disagree with in the thread). Mother Teresa, Saint Cabrini, Saint Juan Diego, Saint Ignatius of Loyola, and others along those lines. They're good Saints, just not ones that speak to me. My favorites are generally patristic Saints like Saint Polycarp, Saint Ignatius of Antioch, Saint John Chrysostom, Saint Clement of Rome, etc. Clear, bold, and brave Saints that stood up for the Church in the face of tyrants and polytheism. There are no Saints that inspire me more than Saints of the early Church.

Edited by FuturePacker

Spem in alium

I also don't have saints I dislike - just ones I don't necessarily resonate with or am not as fond of.
I love St Rose of Lima (my Confirmation saint), St Paul, St Augustine, St Martin de Porres, St Ignatius Loyola, Bl Pier Giorgio Frassati, Pope St John Paul II, Bl Paul VI, St Vincent de Paul, Bl Frances Siedliska, and Bl Francisco and Bl Jacinta Marto.

Less fond of St Simeon Stylites, Mother Teresa and St Teresa of Avila.

Edited by Spem in alium

PhuturePriest

I also don't have saints I dislike - just ones I don't necessarily resonate with or am not as fond of.
I love St Rose of Lima (my Confirmation saint), St Paul, St Augustine, St Martin de Porres, St Ignatius Loyola, Bl Pier Giorgio Frassati, Pope St John Paul II, Bl Paul VI, St Vincent de Paul, Bl Frances Siedliska, and Bl Francisco and Bl Jacinta Marto.

Less fond of St Simeon Stylites, Mother Teresa and St Teresa of Avila.

Saint John Paul II is in my top three, and is one of my biggest inspirations in my discernment.

Reading the lives of the Saints has always been one of the best things for my own spiritual life, so I love talking about them! I find it fascinating to see everyone else's favorites, and particularly the ones that don't resonate as much with other people. It's just so interesting to me! :)

I'm not sure why some people are so afraid to not like certain saints: they were people.  Just as in the rest of our lives, there are some people who we become friends with and other who we do not.  Some personalities do not mesh.  Although, like others have said, we don't have to be confrontational about it.  Some people don't like St. Therese, I get it. Truth is, she scared me for a long while (and then stalked me, what a creeper), but we get on pretty fine now.  

Just like any friends, if a crisis happens, there are certain people we will automatically turn to, and others with whom we like to have a good time or hear a good story.  Regardless, if we like them or not, they still want us to go to Heaven. 

I have been rather inactive lately due to my full schedule, but this seems like an interesting topic.  ;)

Favorites: 

St. Elizabeth of the Visitation (all-time favorite)

St. Anne (my confirmation saint)

St. John Paul II, St. Margaret Mary

St. Therese of Lisieux

St. Francis of Assisi

St. Clare of Assisi

St. Rose of Lima

St. Faustina

St. Elizabeth of Hungary

St. Francis de Sales

Not so favorites: 

St. Teresa of Avila (I can't understand her writings that well)

St. John of the Cross (same as above)

St. Benedict (never been a fan)

Spem in alium

Saint John Paul II is in my top three, and is one of my biggest inspirations in my discernment.

Ditto. :)

Love

John Paul II!!! (my Confirmation saint... :love: )

Blessed Mother

St. Maximillion Kolbe :heart:

St. Benedict

St. Scholastica

Mother Theresa

St. Maria Goretti

St. Francis od Assisi and Xavier

Not Sure About...

St. Therese, she is a stalker!

Dislike

Cannot think of anyone right now but I know if I think hard enough I will think of someone.

Not The Philosopher

I like St. Catherine of Alexandria, St. Thomas Aquinas, St. Joan of Arc, St. Louis de Montfort, St. Augustine...

Ancilla Domini

Love:

Sts. Francis and Clare

St. Bernadette

St. Elizabeth of Hungary

St. Isaac Jogues

St. Padre Pio

St. Therese of Lisieux

St. Joan of Arc

St. Martin de Porres

St. Martin of Toures

Least favorite/not sure about: JPII, John XXIII,

LOVE:

Ima (Our Blessed Mother)

Aba (St. Joseph)

Oma (St. Anne)

Opa (St. Joachim)

St. Jude (Don't know why. He picked me. Probably because I'm a desperate cause.)

Thomas Merton (SHOULD be a saint. I mean, really, the intellectual honesty of that man is absolutely unparalleled!)

St. Joseph of Cupertino (What humility!)

St. Thomas Aquinas (Humble AND intellectually honest!)

St. Ignatius (Cuz I need him.)

NOT A FAN:

St. Therese (I have to agree with Emilyann: ZERO attraction. She's like the literary and personality polar opposite of Thomas Merton: All sweetness and no grit. Gag.)

St. John of the Cross (Is there ANYTHING that man approved of?!)

WARMING UP TO:

St. Teresa of Avila (What a sensible lady...)

Pope St. John Paul the Great (I wasn't Catholic when he was around, so gimme time.)

Edited by curiousing