An Old School Catholic Message Board

Poor Friars And Nuns That Evangelize The Usa As Hitchhikers:

Poor Friars

Ps. Poor Nuns can never hitch on there own without a Friar (who took the photo).

That's a relief. But I'm still worried they'll be confused for hippies.

That's a relief. But I'm still worried they'll be confused for hippies.

Hahaha... on our last trip to Santa Fe, New Mexico (beginning from Louisiana) they took us more often as ISIS than hippies!... Any excuse to evangelize - even the Cops need Jesus.

Here in this photo below taken between Wichta Falls and Amarillo - it's true... we're continually trying to escape from the prison of this world and it's schemes that imprison us into the of the fear of death!

824fea67d7c9f065e470edb2ce0655c5.jpg

MarysLittleFlower

This reminds me of St Francis! :) really amazing!

I saw the before/after pictures on the website, and right away I noticed that in the 'after' pictures, all the Brothers and Sisters look so much more joyful. It really shows the change that Christ can make in a person.

Peace be with you, Brother!

I am curious -- on several photos from you I see several different styles of habit.  Are these just a matter of personal preference (i.e., more practical in some kinds of weather?) or do they indicate a difference in length of time in the community.  

For example, do the shorter scapulars have a particular significance?   Does it mean anything if some of the members are wearing their cords?  I know the O.F.M. brothers who are novices do not have knots in their cords, for example, and in some Benedictine communities, a shorter scapular indicates a novice.  Is there a significance to the elements of your habit?

I can imagine that you are mistaken for ISIS at times.... and I would think St. Francis, who so longed to be able to go to try to convert is Muslim brothers, would be pleased to see you using those moments to try to share God with people... and that you might experience some of the Perfect Joy that is to be found in being despised for love of Him.

Praying for all of you!

Poor%20Friars,%20Poor%20Nuns%20Hitchhiki

824fea67d7c9f065e470edb2ce0655c5.jpg

Hahaha... on our last trip to Santa Fe, New Mexico (beginning from Louisiana) they took us more often as ISIS than hippies!... Any excuse to evangelize - even the Cops need Jesus.

Here in this photo below taken between Wichta Falls and Amarillo - it's true... we're continually trying to escape from the prison of this world and it's schemes that imprison us into the of the fear of death!

Crazy religious radicals! lol God bless you all!

Peace and Good AnneLine,
Yes, the different habits show the different stages of formation.
We do not have a winter habit or summer habit, but only 2 pairs of the same habit (one to ware and one to wash) that i durable, but also breaths under the heat of the summer sun. In winter we ware under the habit more pullovers but also have a woolen ponchio and a mantle that protects us from strong cold wind and also acts as an emergency blanket!

Here this video explains the different fomational stages of our formation (3mins)
https://vimeo.com/106195975

Peace be with you, Brother!

I am curious -- on several photos from you I see several different styles of habit.  Are these just a matter of personal preference (i.e., more practical in some kinds of weather?) or do they indicate a difference in length of time in the community.  

For example, do the shorter scapulars have a particular significance?   Does it mean anything if some of the members are wearing their cords?  I know the O.F.M. brothers who are novices do not have knots in their cords, for example, and in some Benedictine communities, a shorter scapular indicates a novice.  Is there a significance to the elements of your habit?

I can imagine that you are mistaken for ISIS at times.... and I would think St. Francis, who so longed to be able to go to try to convert is Muslim brothers, would be pleased to see you using those moments to try to share God with people... and that you might experience some of the Perfect Joy that is to be found in being despised for love of Him.

Praying for all of you!

Thank you, Brother!

It does make sense to have one to wash and one to wear, and also the video makes it clear what the different steps are (although it was a bit difficult to read what was being said.  Did I understand correctly that you 'wear' the bible?  Is that in one of the cargo pockets?

I am a Secular Order member of a different mendicant tradition, but took as my name in the order Clare, and St. Francis has always been a special friend and mentor.  So... we have a connection here....  Friar, as I have told several Nuns on different threads today, you may want to consider asking the m.o.d.e.r.a.t.o.r.s to indicate that you are a 'religious' so you can have the private message system unlocked for you.  I am concerned that someone may want to contact you as vocation director, and find that you cannot reply.  You can contact them by clicking the 'report' button on any thread and in the text box, indicate that you are not reporting a problem, but trying to reach a m.o.d.e.r.a.t.o.r about having your avatar show you are a Religious.

Holding you in prayer.

Edited by AnneLine

We are greatful to the Lord for having had us meet ths new reality and for having given us the certainty of our vocations as Poor Friars and Nuns... For as you know, if it we not for his grace, none of it would be possible. Ps. Pray for our continual conversions as we havent yet made it to heaven!

41d8dc16d28e23b0be3cca00fd050865.jpg

This reminds me of St Francis! :) really amazing!

I saw the before/after pictures on the website, and right away I noticed that in the 'after' pictures, all the Brothers and Sisters look so much more joyful. It really shows the change that Christ can make in a person.

Thank you for the avice!
Can you please help us understand how to use this better to communicate with prospective vocational enquirers... 
We are interested in reaching the most souls possiblw with an attraction to the Camelitan and Franciscan Spirituality - I am curious to know how use this new avitar title, but am a little ignorant to it all. I appreciate your help.
Best wished of Holiness!

And look who now have the new label of 'Catholic Religious'!!!!   :)  It's the Poor Friars & Nuns!

Thank you for the avice!
Can you please help us understand how to use this better to communicate with prospective vocational enquirers... 
We are interested in reaching the most souls possiblw with an attraction to the Camelitan and Franciscan Spirituality - I am curious to know how use this new avitar title, but am a little ignorant to it all. I appreciate your help.
Best wished of Holiness!

You don't need to do anything, Poor Friar. People will now see that you're a Catholic religious from your title, and if they're interested in religious life, they may simply PM you to ask about your order/house.

One thing I would suggest is putting the URL of your order's webpage in your trailer, so that people can see exactly which order you're in. You can do that by going to:

1. The top right corner of any page on Phatmass, and click on your username.

2. When it drops down, click on "My Settings".

3. Now, on the left-hand side of your settings page, click on "Signature".

4. In the text box, enter the URL of your order's website.

5. Click "Save Changes" and...

VOILA! At the end of every post you make, your order's URL will pop up right underneath your post (just like the quote from Peter Kreeft does in mine).

amesome! Thank you and best wishes of Holiness.

You don't need to do anything, Poor Friar. People will now see that you're a Catholic religious from your title, and if they're interested in religious life, they may simply PM you to ask about your order/house.

One thing I would suggest is putting the URL of your order's webpage in your trailer, so that people can see exactly which order you're in. You can do that by going to:

1. The top right corner of any page on Phatmass, and click on your username.

2. When it drops down, click on "My Settings".

3. Now, on the left-hand side of your settings page, click on "Signature".

4. In the text box, enter the URL of your order's website.

5. Click "Save Changes" and...

VOILA! At the end of every post you make, your order's URL will pop up right underneath your post (just like the quote from Peter Kreeft does in mine).