An Old School Catholic Message Board

I'm Going To Apply

RoseOfGuadalupe

RoseOfGuadalupe

This summer, I'm going to apply to Carmel. Is there anything I should know about the application process?

Also, please pray for me. I don't have a very supporting family.

PhuturePriest

You will be asked possibly uncomfortable questions, depending upon your personality. I have a very open personality, so I don't find any question to be uncomfortable. Most are not like me, and find the evaluation to be quite unpleasant, but don't worry; as long as you're honest, there's nothing to be afraid of.

Edited by FuturePacker

the application process varies wildly by community. For some the process is time consuming and expensive; others may offer to take you in the same afternoon you ask to apply. Most places ask for a physical and a reference from a priest or spiritual director. 

I'm rather confused by the concept of a dowry. I don't know of any male communities that ask for one. There are certainly none (as far as I am aware) in the UK, which makes me wonder why they are necessary at all.

Spem in alium

Congratulations!! Be assured of my prayers. :)

For my application, I had to provide:

• General information about myself and my family;
  • Medical information/ forms giving the congregation authority to obtain my records if needed;
  • A financial statement;
  • A spiritual autobiography;
  • Academic transcripts;
  • My resume;
  • Sacramental certificates;
  • Three references.

I was also interviewed by the Vocations Director. She asked me some pretty tough questions, but it was all okay. :)

It may vary for you, but I think many congregations require similar information. Try not to worry too much about it. :)

veritasluxmea

I'm rather confused by the concept of a dowry. I don't know of any male communities that ask for one. There are certainly none (as far as I am aware) in the UK, which makes me wonder why they are necessary at all.

I know someone who entered a cloistered Carmelite order with a dowry. I think it started in the olden days when girls would have a dowry for their future husbands, so when they joined an order their parents just gave it to the order instead. Nowadays it's not required, but it is recommended because if you leave, they're give it back to you, so you're not going back into the world penniless. Seems like a good idea to me! 

PhuturePriest

I know someone who entered a cloistered Carmelite order with a dowry. I think it started in the olden days when girls would have a dowry for their future husbands, so when they joined an order their parents just gave it to the order instead. Nowadays it's not required, but it is recommended because if you leave, they're give it back to you, so you're not going back into the world penniless. Seems like a good idea to me! 

This would make sense, because as far as I am aware, there is no such thing as a dowry for male communities.

i will pray for you and for you Vocation.It made me sad that you do not have supporting family.

Supporting from family is one of the most important things for any persons vocation.

I have made also application to one Carmel in my country but i doubt it is same as there.

It is very different at lest here in Europe.