An Old School Catholic Message Board

Military Service And Religious Life

Kayte Postle

Question for a friend who is seriously considering joining the military as a nurse, but is also interested in religious life. She is concerned that when you sign with any branch of the military in the US the contract has an 8yr MOS agreement. This means that while you initially sign for X amount of years, you can still be called into duty within 8yrs of your original agreement. (i.e. sign for 3 yrs active, exit the military, but can still be called to duty for the next 5 yrs even though you a technically no longer in the military).  By the time she would be out of MOS she will have passed the upper age limit for the majority of the communities she is interested in. Does anyone know if you can join a religious community while still in that MOS grey area?

If she is in the US, then tell her this story: I interviewed a sister for my thesis research who was in the military. During her service, her call got stronger. She was working in the chaplain's office. The chaplain, one day, out of the blue, asked if she had ever considered religious life. She opened up to him, and he said he would support her honorable discharge if she wanted to leave the military to join religious life. She found a community (the one I interviewed her in), the chaplain supported her, and she was honorably discharged to pursue her true vocation.

I don't know if that would always happen, but it's something for her to talk to a military chaplain about.

Edited by curiousing

That is a very insightful question Kayte regarding religious life!!! While being recalled is a legitimate concern, depending on the branch she would enter.. I seriously would doubt that she would really have to concern herself with it being done! I come from a military family.. And never not once was anyone ever recalled back into active duty! Good luck to her!!

If you check out the PCPA's in Phoenix, aka the Desert Nuns, aka Our Lady of Solitude Monastery, you'll read in there vocation story section about Sr. Marie St. Paul.  I believe she was in the military before entering.  She might have some insight for you.

BTW:  the previous info has been put on the official website by the nuns themselves, so I'm not "telling tales out of school" :)

Different communities have different policies.... and sometimes when God surprises a candidate -- or a community! -- with a vocation, a commitment to the military is part of what needs to be discerned!

The Mission San Jose (California) Dominican Sisters had this 'surprise' a few years ago -- here is an article they published about it at the time.  

iT'S probably impotant to note that as the article is from 2005, she had made her commitment to the Navy BEFORE 9/11.... things might be different these days.

ALAMEDA / Leading two lives was a habit for this Navy Reserve officer

Matthew B. Stannard, Chronicle Staff Writer

Published 4:00 am, Sunday, April 3, 2005

There is a tradition in the U.S. Navy that a retiring officer pass on the traditional naval officer's sword to his son. Lt. Cmdr. Donna Moses has no son, so when she retired from the Navy Reserve on Saturday, she passed on her sword to her mother.

Her mother superior -- Sister Rose Marie Hennessy, prioress general of the Dominican Sisters of Mission San Jose.

"With this sword, I convey my shift of loyalty and service from the United States Navy to the Dominican Order with honor, courage and commitment," Moses said.

With those words, she ended eight years during which she regularly wore two uniforms: the white habit of a Dominican Sister, and the black dress uniform of a Naval Reserve officer.

Full article - and it is FASCINATING....

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/ALAMEDA-Leading-two-lives-was-a-habit-for-this-2718439.php

920x920.jpg

Edited by AnneLine

Also found this on the diocesan website.... interesting comment.   The reference is to when then Fr. (now Bishop) Michael Barber, S.J. was appointed bishop of the Oakland diocese... which includes Fremont/Mission San Jose in California.

http://www.catholicvoiceoakland.org/2013/05-20/inthisissue1.htm

2013_0520_Moses.jpg
Sister Donna Maria Moses, OP

Sister Donna Maria Moses, OP
Dominican sister of Mission San Jose
Retired Navy chaplain

Bishop-elect Michael Barber and I were in the Naval Reserves Middle East Forces Religious chaplain unit at the same time. He was called up to provide chaplain services to the Marines in Bahrain and Kuwait. I provided spiritual support to the members stationed in Alameda and families of service members called up. Chaplain Barber attended my first profession in 2001 and my retirement from the Navy in 2005. He's a dignified man, well-spoken, honorable and brave.