An Old School Catholic Message Board

Would This Be An Impediment To The Cloister?...

LaudemGloriae

LaudemGloriae

+M

Dear all,

I am new to the phorum but I have just a quick question...

I feel our Lord calling me to the cloister, but I have a mild form of Grave's Disease (hyperactive thyroid). It's easily treated with a low dose of medication and has never interfered with my daily life (I'm asymptomatic so I don't even show effects of the disease). I was tested for remission recently, but was not able to hold it which means that I will probably have it the remainder of my life. I was just wondering if this would be an impediment to the cloister... I'm sure it would depend on the community, but right now I'm just thinking about "in general."

It may be if you are somewhere you have to pay for medication...........

Also, most people will tell you that it depends on the community.

Cloisters are very different one from the other, if they live an austere form of poverty or not, for example. 

Have you any ideas which 'brand' of spirituality you are feeling called to? I am also presuming you mean an enclosed community? There are some not enclosed contemplative communities.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

I doubt it! It's not unusual for at least a few in every community to be taking medication to regulate the thyroid.

I doubt it! It's not unusual for at least a few in every community to be taking medication to regulate the thyroid.

I have to take medication for hypothyroidism.  It seems to be really common nowadays.  It runs in my family, too.

Sister answered before I could.  Thyroid malfunction [both hypo- and hyper- ] are extremely common conditions and the medications are not expensive [as these things go].  Also, as with type 2 diabetes, thyroid conditions can manifest themselves later in life, and if regulated, do not cause disability.  The biggest cost, IMO, would be doctors' appointments, since anyone on chronic medication of this type needs to be seen occasionally by a endocrinologist, and have lab work done.

My mother just started taking thyroid meds - synthroid.  She is a really healthy person - runs, exercises, vegetarian - so she was upset about this.  The endocrinologist made her feel a bit better when he told her that 1/3 of middle aged women have the same problem.  Convents are probably not exempt.  Graves is an easily manageable disease so I wouldn't think it an impediment anywhere.  My mom pops her 75 mg pill once a day and never gives it a thought.