An Old School Catholic Message Board

Adoring Rosary--question For Sr. Mary Catherine Op

corban711

Sr. Mary Catherine O.P.,

Peace be with you!  I tried to send you a PM asking about this because I didn't want start a thread to ask such a simple question.  However, maybe you talking about the "Adoring Rosary" will end up bringing more interest to your Community which wouldn't be so bad afterall!   :)

So how does the Adoring Rosary work?  Does that mean you recite it as a Community during Eucharistic Adoration?  Or that during perpetual adoration at your monastery, a Rosary is prayed each hour by a sister?  Do you have special community prayers that you attach to it?  I am very intrigued...praying the Rosary during adoration has been such a gift of Jesus and of the Blessed Mother to me...I am wondering what it "looks like" to have an "Adoring Rosary"?  

IgnatiusofLoyola

FYI--The correct spelling of her name is Sr. Mary Catharine (for Saint Catharine of Alexandria).

This may have been why your PM to her didn't work. (But, Sr. Mary Catharine also said recently that she hasn't been able to send or receive PM's for awhile, and I don't know if this has been fixed yet.)

In any case, this is a good subject for a thread!

Strictlyinkblot

The sisters continuously throughout the day and three nights a week take turns to pray the rosary in front of the Blessed Sacrament. The only time this stops is when they are praying the Office or attending the Sacrament of the Mass. During the day each sister has half an hour of adoration, and an hour during the night. It used to be perpetual adoration and they're hoping when they have enough sisters it will be again. I hope that answers your question.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Strictlyinkblot you get an A+!!! She has explained it very well! It's really about contemplating Christ through the eyes of Mary. Each sister prays the rosary during her half hour/ hour of adoration in a way that leads her closer to Christ. Some sisters pray 5,10, 15, 20 decades during their time. Other sisters like to take one particular mystery. Some sisters like to stop for a while in silence or to spend time with scripture, etc. But the main "thread" of the prayer is the Rosary.

Thank you all so very much for your input!  And I am very sorry dear sister that I have misspelled your name!  It shall not happen again...at least not by me   :)  

When in adoration it usually takes me 45mins-1 hour at least to pray 5 decades!  Unless prayed out loud with a group, I could never get multiple Rosaries in one hour!  Of course, that includes Scripture or other spiritual reading and silence...but that is the only way I can pray it when in adoration. 

That is a truly beautiful practice and a beautiful expression of love.  Thank you for sharing.  Very edifying! 

Edited by corban711

Sister Mary Catharine, this is the first time I realized that your community are Dominican Nuns of the Perpetual Rosary!  [As opposed to Dominican Nuns with devotion to the rosary, but not of that congregation.]  We have a monastery of Dominicans of the Perpetual Rosary in our city, as well. 

Sr Mary Catharine OP

We are Nuns of the Order of Preachers! Our origins are the Dominican Sisters of the Perpetual Rosary but we have been incorporated into the Order of Preachers since 1955! We're not a congregation of cloistered sisters but fully nuns of the Order. We have continued the tradition of the perpetual rosary as we feel this is the particular charism of our house but we are still fully Nuns of the Order of Preachers!

Thanks so much for the explanation, Sister.  I am not familiar enough with the distinction, obviously.  I do know that the Dominicans of the Perpetual Rosary here seem like wonderful women, although there do not seem to be as many of them as there used to be.... Does this mean that the Perpetual Rosary congregation are not solemnly professed nuns but, rather, contemplative sisters? Excuse my lack of familiarity with the distinction....

Sr Mary Catharine OP

The Dominican Sisters of the Perpetual Rosary are not solemnly professed but diocesan communities. They were formed by a Dominican Nun so there are many similarities. At this point I think there is only 1 monastery left and they have their own constitutions. They are sort of like 3rd Order cloistered. The communities like this founded before the 1917 code of canon law are in a whole other category because there weren't those canonical distinctions at the time but today the Milwaukee monastery, while fully Dominican is actually not a monastery of Nuns of the Order. Of course we share a common history with them.

All the other Perpetual Rosary monasteries became incorporated into the Order.

I know, it's confusing!!!!

So, I am from Syracuse. Is the monastery here now fully incorporated into the Second Order? I'm sorry for all the questions, but this is very interesting to me! I once went to a day of recollection at our diocesan retreat house, and the Dominicans were there. [This was in the early 1990s.] So, would they have gotten special permission to attend this? They were very nice, and said they would be praying for us all. We are also able to attend Mass in the public part of their chapel.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Yes, Syracuse is a monastery of Nuns of the Order. At one time they were perpetual rosary as we were. I assume they would have gotten special permission to attend. Perhaps there was a special reason.
I don't know the Syracuse monastery very well as the nuns don't come to any of our meetings.