An Old School Catholic Message Board

In What Ways Are Carmelite And Dominican Spiritualities Similar?

Gabriela

RoseOfGuadalupe's status update said this, and it seems to have drawn some attention, so now I'm wondering: How?

I don't know a whole lot about either, so I'm curious to hear from those of you who do.

veritasluxmea

According to Roseofguadalupe: 

The emphasis on contemplation and the salvation of souls as well as two vocations fitting into one another as one prepares the soil and the other plants the seed

So Carmelites prepare the soil through prayer and Dominicans plant the seed through preaching? 

Edited by veritasluxmea

Well, yeah, but that could be said of any religious vocation. I mean, in the most holistic view, ALL vocations work together and complement one another. And all contemplative vocations are... contemplative, of course. And all religious vocations exist for the salvation of souls.

Is there something "closer" or "more similar" than that?

Ive been thinking about this and the only similarities I can come up with are those that exist between all Catholic religious Orders.  For Dominicans and Carmelites specifically though they are different and necessarily so.  Dominicans are the Order of Preachers.  St Dominic did something new because at his time only bishops could preach and not every priest at every Mass.  He saw the need for more widespread local level preaching to combat the heresies around him.  Carmelites are originally hermits and all that that entails.  When the friars came to Europe though they had to become mendicant but that is not their original charism. 

I find that the nuanced spirit can be well summed up in their respective mottos. Domincans: Laudare, Benedicere, Praedicare ("To Praise, To Bless, To Preach") as well as Veritas! (Truth)

The Carmelites are "With zeal I have been zealous for the Lord God of Hosts." 

But on a basic level, there are also just traditions within the communities that bring these differences out more clearly.  

Further, while the Domincans seem to be much more 'out there' in regards to their charism of preaching, even if they are cloistered; Carmelites seem to have a much more 'hidden' quality to their spirituality.

I'm definitely not an expert, but I do have a book recommendation which might help. Fr. Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange, the famous Dominican Thomist of the last century, wrote a work comparing Sts. John of the Cross and Thomas Aquinas. Here's the title, I'm pretty sure you can find it online: Christian Perfection and Contemplation according to St Thomas Aquinas and St John of the Cross. In fact, an article written about Fr. Garrigou-Lagrange was that his greatest accomplishment was showing that the teachings of these saints are in perfect harmony. So that might be what RoseOfGuadalupe was referring to, perhaps. :idontknow:

Credo in Deum

RoseOfGuadalupe's status update said this, and it seems to have drawn some attention, so now I'm wondering: How?

Both of them have habits!!!  Booyah!

In all seriousness though I cannot see the two as being similar.

I will wait for Rose to explain what she means since she made the statement.