An Old School Catholic Message Board

"in Essentials Unity" Question For Soundly Taught Catholic

JuddBrooks

Greetings! I am a non-catholic male 64, married, doing research on essential doctrines and practices of catholic church.  I have a pentecostle neighbor with some really 'out there' ideas.  If I were to make a list of essentials from the catholic point of view I would include the Pope (apostolic), baptism, 7 sacrments, mortal/venial sin, penance, God, Christ, Holy Spirit, resurrection, return, Heaven, Hell.   Is anyone of these NOT essential doctrine ?

Definitely add into that the nature of Tradition and the Magisterium. Most Catholics do not seem to understand the subject properly either.

thanks very kindly for your responses.  but I have to ask.. the catechism is a list of teaching. however would you consider EVER SINGE LINE ITEM OF catechism as 'essentials' unity type doctrine.  ??  obviously venial does not void / severe the grace relationship with Christ while the 'mortal sin' does and require penance.   So even though my list was COMPLETELY AND WOEFULLY INCOMPLETE I am trying to deal with a 'faith only' (1 thing) is essential and my response is the Catholic church has to far far more "Essentials for Salvation' lne items which include 'baptism', apostolic lineage, one church (catholic only), 7 sacrements  ALL ESSENTIAL FOR SALVATION !.   That the vaticanII was not a change to any doctrine or dogma and the separated brethren comes in 2 kinds...those that will be saved (invincible ignorance) and those who will not (Vinciblly ignorance).....do I have this correct and yet completely inadequate in quantity of essential doctrines and practices ? Thanking everyone in advance for their kind replies ;)

Perhaps you could start with some historic professions of faith. The Athanasian Creed is excellent, obviously the Nicean and Apostles Creeds. The profession of faith of the Council of Trent is great, and very detailed. Probably the most comprehensive I have ever come across. You will find other historic creeds if you look for them.

I was thinking more of using the catechism as support that the things you mention are essential for salvation once you have your list drawn up. You could look each one up in the CCC and see what it says about it, then show it to your neighbor as a "See, here's the proof" kind of thing.

Archaeology cat

Perhaps it would be good to ask your Pentecostal neighbor what he thinks baptism means/does. When you believe it is only symbolic of an inward reality, the idea that it is essential doesn't make as much sense (I assume that is the Pentecostal view). So maybe you should start there, and show from Scripture, Tradition, history how that understanding of baptism was not present in the early Church. Instead, they definitely held to baptismal regeneration, and the necessity of it for salvation. Pray to the Holy Spirit for guidance with talking to your neighbor.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church is oganized by these groupings: 

The Creed ("Profession of Faith")

The sacraments ("Celebration of the Christian Mystery")

The ten commandments/morality/virtues/community ("Life in Christ")

"Christian prayer" 

SaintOfVirtue

thanks very kindly for your responses. but I have to ask.. the catechism is a list of teaching. however would you consider EVER SINGE LINE ITEM OF catechism as 'essentials' unity type doctrine. ?? obviously venial does not void / severe the grace relationship with Christ while the 'mortal sin' does and require penance. So even though my list was COMPLETELY AND WOEFULLY INCOMPLETE I am trying to deal with a 'faith only' (1 thing) is essential and my response is the Catholic church has to far far more "Essentials for Salvation' lne items which include 'baptism', apostolic lineage, one church (catholic only), 7 sacrements ALL ESSENTIAL FOR SALVATION !. That the vaticanII was not a change to any doctrine or dogma and the separated brethren comes in 2 kinds...those that will be saved (invincible ignorance) and those who will not (Vinciblly ignorance).....do I have this correct and yet completely inadequate in quantity of essential doctrines and practices ? Thanking everyone in advance for their kind replies ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you just want to know what the Catholic church teaches as "essential" for salvation?

Aid to the Church in Need has an excellent short catechism called I Believe (really beautifully illustrated too) that's ideal for non-Catholics seeking a simple but lucid introduction. All funds from ACN book sales go towards their projects in support of persecuted Christians worldwide, so that's another advantage of using it. :)

PhuturePriest

I would recommend The Essential Catholic Survival Guide by the staff at Catholic Answers. It has all of the things you are looking for and even explains how to use it in a debate with someone who disagrees with it. It really is a gem all Catholics should read.

http://shop.catholic.com/the-essential-catholic-survival-guide.html