An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Is The Appeal To Al Sharpton An The Rest

superblue

Al Sharpton,,,,

what is the appeal to him ? Why is it a fraud, and other frauds and crooks like him, can so easily lead people into hate,  do absolutely nothing positive to bring change about in a peaceful manner, and always poor fuel on the fire of a problem that should never have grown out of control....

More over these so called leaders, get all the public attention they can hope for......

But for some reason, works of local bishops are rarely heard of by the same media outlets,  they are probably rarely shown on local news reports.

There is one Catholic Priest who is on occasion brought on by Fox news, and that is it.

If  a Bishop were to act loud, and flamboyant , while promoting peace , the path to Christ, and calling for calmness amongst tragedies , would that get the attention of those same people who are more than ready to follow people like Al Sharpton?

That and I just realized, when in my area we do have a public prayer service  usually the Rosary, which is either in front of  the local abortion clinic, or downtown in the local square we have,,, I never see it mentioned in the local paper, an it isn't  like my diocese can not afford to purchase an ad in the local paper....

Al Sharpton still has appeal for old people that grew up in the 70's. I doubt anybody in the post 70's generation takes anything Al Sharpton has to say seriously. Believe it or not, he has moved significantly more towards the middle as far as politics go in recent years.

To me, his public persona is a joke, just like 99% of the talking heads on the news--both Democrat and Republican, conservative or liberal. All jokes. Anybody who defines themselves according to politics, rather than their humanity, is not doing life right.

PhuturePriest

Al Sharpton still has appeal for old people that grew up in the 70's. I doubt anybody in the post 70's generation takes anything Al Sharpton has to say seriously. Believe it or not, he has moved significantly more towards the middle as far as politics go in recent years.

To me, his public persona is a joke, just like 99% of the talking heads on the news--both Democrat and Republican, conservative or liberal. All jokes. Anybody who defines themselves according to politics, rather than their humanity, is not doing life right.

Why would he appeal to the '70s generation, out of curiosity?

I don't really know much about Sharpton, but I was driving cross-country a few years ago and happened to catch his radio show down South. I was impressed, he came across as someone invested in a community, I didn't get a vibe of an talking-head politician like, say, when I hear President Obama speak.

Edited by Era Might

If  a Bishop were to act loud, and flamboyant , while promoting peace , the path to Christ, and calling for calmness amongst tragedies , would that get the attention of those same people who are more than ready to follow people like Al Sharpton?

Depends whether the bishop is invested and living among those he is preaching to (or at least he is perceived as doing so). There's a tremendous difference between Damien of Molokai condemning people for how they treat lepers, and a bishop sitting in a London chancery.

PhuturePriest

Google: "Civil Rights Movement"

I'm aware of the Civil Rights Movement, but it was spearheaded by Martin Luther King, who was a pacifist and believed in non-violent approaches to achieving their goals. He was also not himself racist, whereas Al Sharpton is. Martin Luther King would not approve whatsoever of Al Sharpton and his inflammatory, hateful, and violent words. He's a disgrace to the entire Movement.

I'm aware of the Civil Rights Movement, but it was spearheaded by Martin Luther King, who was a pacifist and believed in non-violent approaches to achieving their goals. He was also not himself racist, whereas Al Sharpton is. Martin Luther King would not approve whatsoever of Al Sharpton and his inflammatory, hateful, and violent words. He's a disgrace to the entire Movement.

I don't want to talk to you no more.

I was just listening to a CSPAN interview with Tavis Smiley about King's last year. He was wildly controversial, particularly toward the end when he dared to get outside race and connected it with economic exploitation and militarism (the liberal media did not like this). And King was only one part of the civil rights movement, Malcolm X was just as important. The prophets of Israel, for that matter, were hardly press-friendly...they'd probably be crucified in the press today, or seen as loons.

Al Sharpton,,,,

what is the appeal to him ? Why is it a fraud, and other frauds and crooks like him, can so easily lead people into hate,  do absolutely nothing positive to bring change about in a peaceful manner, and always poor fuel on the fire of a problem that should never have grown out of control....

I can't speak to what his appeal is, but race-baiting and fanning the flames of racial hatred is, of course, profitable to Sharpton and his ilk.  It's what keeps them in business, as they're desperate to still appear relevant.

The left-wing media love to give them public attention because the political left thrives on racial aminosity and hatred.  Trumped-up racial rage is about all they have left to go on now.  (Despite the fact that six years of Obama has done zilch to actually improve the lot of poor minorities or improve race relations).

Of course the "mainstream" media has no interest in the peaceful pro-life activities of Catholics and other Christians, as it does nothing to advance any of their favored political agendas.