An Old School Catholic Message Board

Byzantine Carmelite Nuns

Pia Jesu

This is very interesting to me...and these sisters will most definitely continue to be in my prayers as they go through this process.  

Interesting I think because switching from one religious family to another doesn't only mean slight modifications of a way of life which will occur, but also a recognition of an entirely different charism that has been given to them to be lived in the Church!  

Very interesting indeed.  Thank you for sharing!

Edited by corban711

The Byzantine Carmelites of Holy Annunciation Monastery are incredibly resourceful in regards

to being self-sustaining/sufficient.  From their Mini-horses to priestly vestments...to homemade

baked goods (no preservatives, I might add!)...the community has adapted to the increased

economic shifts and strains of modernity.  For a historical perspective on this see:

http://www.habsburger.net/en/chapter/monastery-business-matters-monasteries-and-trade-middle-ages

Other than offering private retreats, the Carmelites "business plan" is very similar to that of

the Benedictines of The Abbey of St. Walburga (Colorado)--and their beef cattle business!

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/12/22/371485558/nuns-on-the-ranch-give-a-heavely-twist-to-beef

And although it is speculative on my part, I'm inclined to think that the manner in which the Carmelites support themselves might well have been one of the factors influencing their

decision to change charisms.  Thank goodness that their baked goods will still be available.

The homemade jams, jellies, cookies, walnut rolls--and "Reverend Mother's Yuletide Treat"

(plum pudding with hard sauce) are heavenly!