Oremus Pro Invicem Posted January 19, 2015 Posted January 19, 2015 "Heliotropium: Conformity of the the Human Will to the Divine" by Fr. Jeremias Drexelius SJ Now go! Buy it! Live it!
HopefulHeart Posted January 19, 2015 Posted January 19, 2015 I got so many theology books for Christmas, including The Ratzinger Report and Life of Christ by Venerable Fulton Sheen. I want leisure books. :| Dude, I got Life of Christ for Christmas, too! I'm going to read it over Lent.
Not The Philosopher Posted January 19, 2015 Posted January 19, 2015 If you want leisure reading, buy something by P.G. Wodehouse.
PhuturePriest Posted January 19, 2015 Author Posted January 19, 2015 In what world is traddy liturgy stuff not leisurely? :| The world in which it requires effort to focus and pay attention, whereas leisurely books such as The Fault In Our Stars do not. :P
PhuturePriest Posted January 19, 2015 Author Posted January 19, 2015 Go with the one you think you'll enjoy more. :) I haven't read The Four Loves, but if it's by Lewis, then it's sure to be good. Out of the Silent Planet is a lot of fun, though. The main character has an adventure on Mars (though Mars is not the silent planet), and he meets various unusual creatures. There is a strong spiritual aspect to the book as well. I read it in only 2 days. This is making it more difficult for me. :P
Oremus Pro Invicem Posted January 19, 2015 Posted January 19, 2015 I got so many theology books for Christmas, including The Ratzinger Report and Life of Christ by Venerable Fulton Sheen. I want leisure books. :| I didn't notice this, so you can ignore my suggestion. I don't know what happend with me but when I came back to the faith, leisure books became boring to me and theology books and lives of the saints became way more exciting. The saying "The truth is stranger than fiction" comes to mind. :)
Ancilla Domini Posted January 19, 2015 Posted January 19, 2015 Out of the Silent Planet is really good. I can't help but agree with NTP, though...P.G. Wodehouse is so brilliantly funny.
PhuturePriest Posted January 19, 2015 Author Posted January 19, 2015 I didn't notice this, so you can ignore my suggestion. I don't know what happend with me but when I came back to the faith, leisure books became boring to me and theology books and lives of the saints became way more exciting. The saying "The truth is stranger than fiction" comes to mind. :) I like both theology and fiction books, especially when they're interwoven (Like in all of C.S. Lewis' great fiction books). However, All of the books I got for Christmas were theology books, and they are generally pretty intense in their nature and require a lot of focus, whereas fiction books are a lot less of a mental workout.
Nihil Obstat Posted January 19, 2015 Posted January 19, 2015 The world in which it requires effort to focus and pay attention, whereas leisurely books such as The Fault In Our Stars do not. :P Lel
4588686 Posted January 19, 2015 Posted January 19, 2015 http://www.amazon.com/Structure-Scientific-Revolutions-Thomas-Kuhn/dp/0226458083/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1421707142&sr=1-2&keywords=the+structure+of+scientific+revolutions http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Flourishing-Grassroots-Innovation-Challenge-ebook/dp/B00EIH17I0/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1421707161&sr=1-1&keywords=Mass+Flourishing http://www.amazon.com/Knowledge-Decisions-Thomas-Sowell/dp/0465037380/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1421707185&sr=1-1&keywords=Knowledge+and+Decisions http://www.amazon.com/Cooperative-Species-Human-Reciprocity-Evolution-ebook/dp/B0050PADW0/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1421707202&sr=1-3&keywords=Herbert+Gintis http://www.amazon.com/Democracy-Capitalism-Property-Community-Contradictons/dp/0465016006/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1421707231&sr=1-2&keywords=Herbert+Gintis+democracy
PhuturePriest Posted January 19, 2015 Author Posted January 19, 2015 Lel Not everyone has an IQ that rivals the age Moses was when he died. :P Reading a theology book is an accomplishment for me. Not because I can't understand it, but because I lose interest halfway and have to force myself to read the rest. The last book I succeeded in doing that was An Exorcist Tells His Story, which though I found endlessly fascinating, I still needed to keep myself on target and make myself read it at times.
PhuturePriest Posted January 19, 2015 Author Posted January 19, 2015 http://www.amazon.com/Structure-Scientific-Revolutions-Thomas-Kuhn/dp/0226458083/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1421707142&sr=1-2&keywords=the+structure+of+scientific+revolutions http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Flourishing-Grassroots-Innovation-Challenge-ebook/dp/B00EIH17I0/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1421707161&sr=1-1&keywords=Mass+Flourishing http://www.amazon.com/Knowledge-Decisions-Thomas-Sowell/dp/0465037380/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1421707185&sr=1-1&keywords=Knowledge+and+Decisions http://www.amazon.com/Cooperative-Species-Human-Reciprocity-Evolution-ebook/dp/B0050PADW0/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1421707202&sr=1-3&keywords=Herbert+Gintis http://www.amazon.com/Democracy-Capitalism-Property-Community-Contradictons/dp/0465016006/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1421707231&sr=1-2&keywords=Herbert+Gintis+democracy Do yourself a favor and read what the second link down says. It will be cause for much mirth. You're welcome.
4588686 Posted January 19, 2015 Posted January 19, 2015 Not everyone has an IQ that rivals the age Moses was when he died. :P Reading a theology book is an accomplishment for me. Not because I can't understand it, but because I lose interest halfway and have to force myself to read the rest. The last book I succeeded in doing that was An Exorcist Tells His Story, which though I found endlessly fascinating, I still needed to keep myself on target and make myself read it at times. That's because those books are boring. Just read Ratzinger's Introduction to Christianity.
PhuturePriest Posted January 19, 2015 Author Posted January 19, 2015 That's because those books are boring. Just read Ratzinger's Introduction to Christianity. I find The Ratzinger Report quite stimulating. It simply requires more effort to read, even if its contents are objectively more interesting than a book about two teenagers with cancer who fall in love.
4LoveofJMJ Posted January 19, 2015 Posted January 19, 2015 The entire collection of Calvin and Hobbes. Just sayin.
Ancilla Domini Posted January 19, 2015 Posted January 19, 2015 The entire collection of Calvin and Hobbes. Just sayin. This.
Oremus Pro Invicem Posted January 19, 2015 Posted January 19, 2015 (edited) I like both theology and fiction books, especially when they're interwoven (Like in all of C.S. Lewis' great fiction books). However, All of the books I got for Christmas were theology books, and they are generally pretty intense in their nature and require a lot of focus, whereas fiction books are a lot less of a mental workout. Understandable. Reading a theology book is an accomplishment for me. Not because I can't understand it, but because I lose interest halfway and have to force myself to read the rest. The last book I succeeded in doing that was An Exorcist Tells His Story, which though I found endlessly fascinating, I still needed to keep myself on target and make myself read it at times.This happens to me even when I'm interested in the topic. I'm constantly reading books halfway and then starting new ones, only to read them halfway before I go back to the previous books to finish the remaining half. Edited January 19, 2015 by Oremus Pro Invicem
PhuturePriest Posted January 19, 2015 Author Posted January 19, 2015 Understandable. This happens to me even when I'm interested in the topic. I'm constantly reading books halfway and then starting new ones, only to read them halfway before I go back to the previous books to finish the remaining half. That's basically how I read, except if it's a fiction book. I read the entire Harry Potter series in a week, and that was with pacing myself, but I still haven't found it within myself to complete all of The Four Signs of a Dynamic Catholic or other books like it. I literally reached its halfway point and then took a break from it to read something else. I'm currently reading the latter half of The Screwtape Letters, which I got for Christmas several years ago.
veritasluxmea Posted January 19, 2015 Posted January 19, 2015 If I Stay is a good easy-reading book. Similar to the Fault in Our Stars. It's a rather liberal Pacific North West lifestyle book, but not to descriptive. I found the one scene where things were "heated" easy to skim over.
HopefulHeart Posted January 19, 2015 Posted January 19, 2015 That's basically how I read, except if it's a fiction book. I read the entire Harry Potter series in a week, and that was with pacing myself, but I still haven't found it within myself to complete all of The Four Signs of a Dynamic Catholic or other books like it. I literally reached its halfway point and then took a break from it to read something else. I'm currently reading the latter half of The Screwtape Letters, which I got for Christmas several years ago. Yes, I read fiction works fairly quickly, but I often have difficulty getting through nonfiction and spiritual reading. For instance, I've started Fire Within, by Fr. Thomas Dubay, about three times but have never got more than 50 pages into it. Same with Introduction to the Devout Life. Generally, fiction is more my cup of tea.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now